PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Fantasy Baseball Thread

Real World

Reaction score
So who in here plays fantasy baseball? Do you play rotiserie or 5x5? Who do you like, hate, or feel is a sleeper in this years draft? I am just beginning to do my research, and am curious what other people are thinking this year.

I'm in a 5x5, standard scoring (5 hitting, 5 pitching categories) league with 12 teams. I draft #6 overall in a serpentine draft, which means my next pick will be at #19. I've already had someone offer me a swap of draft location for the first two rounds. His #2 and #23, for my #6 and #19. I told him I need to do my research first, but that I'd be open to such a trade.

As of right now my target at #6 is Troy Tulowitski. SS is somewhat of a thin position in the league, so I figure targeting one of the most productive at the position makes sense there. Plus, I don't think he's going to be there at #19. Of course until I research the draft a little more, nothing is concrete.

So what say you?

So who in here plays fantasy baseball? Do you play rotiserie or 5x5? Who do you like, hate, or feel is a sleeper in this years draft? I am just beginning to do my research, and am curious what other people are thinking this year.

I'm in a 5x5, standard scoring (5 hitting, 5 pitching categories) league with 12 teams. I draft #6 overall in a serpentine draft, which means my next pick will be at #19. I've already had someone offer me a swap of draft location for the first two rounds. His #2 and #23, for my #6 and #19. I told him I need to do my research first, but that I'd be open to such a trade.

As of right now my target at #6 is Troy Tulowitski. SS is somewhat of a thin position in the league, so I figure targeting one of the most productive at the position makes sense there. Plus, I don't think he's going to be there at #19. Of course until I research the draft a little more, nothing is concrete.

So what say you?

I would keep your draft picks and target Tulo as you have said...You should be able to get another stud at 19 on the way back....The problem with swapping for the 2nd pick is I don't see the value you would get at 2 that would overshadow getting Tulo at 6....Pujols will probably go #1 and then are Hanley's stats that much better than Tulo's? I don't think so.....Even if you don't get Tulo at 6 you could possibly get longoria but the biggest thing in this deal is that 19th pick....I really think you could get a better player at 19 than you could at 23.....I would just stand pat where you are and make the best of it, which you should be able to do....

We're on the same page. The attractive part of the deal is the ability to draft Hanley #2. I'm still open to the deal for that reason. The one thing Hanley does is steal bases, which Tulo doesn't. With SB's so hard to come by without giving up a lot in the other categories, I have to consider moving up to #2. The problem is like you mention, the drop from #19 to #23. It might only be 4 spots, but it could mean the difference between drafting a Tim Lincecom, or maybe a Ryan Zimmerman, Hamilton, etc. I have to do my board still, and if I come to the conclusion that there isn't a big drop off in value from #19 to #23 then I might pull the trigger.

So who do you like this year, and who do you think will be overvalued? I think Manny could be an interesting pick up a little later in the draft. Aaron Harang in SD might be worth a flyer late too. SD is an absolute pitchers park, and Harang is supposedly healthy now.

We're on the same page. The attractive part of the deal is the ability to draft Hanley #2. I'm still open to the deal for that reason. The one thing Hanley does is steal bases, which Tulo doesn't. With SB's so hard to come by without giving up a lot in the other categories, I have to consider moving up to #2. The problem is like you mention, the drop from #19 to #23. It might only be 4 spots, but it could mean the difference between drafting a Tim Lincecom, or maybe a Ryan Zimmerman, Hamilton, etc. I have to do my board still, and if I come to the conclusion that there isn't a big drop off in value from #19 to #23 then I might pull the trigger.

So who do you like this year, and who do you think will be overvalued? I think Manny could be an interesting pick up a little later in the draft. Aaron Harang in SD might be worth a flyer late too. SD is an absolute pitchers park, and Harang is supposedly healthy now.

Hanley is a hell of a ballplayer but he plays in a pitchers park with not much help in that lineup.....I would stay put, Grab Tulo if you can or Miguel Cabrera or Longoria and grab an ellsbury type guy later on for stolen bases....

Some of my sleepers that I like are Kyle Drabek....Matt Weiters (That O's lineup will be pretty nice)....Gordon Beckham (Adding Dunn in that lineup should help)...Pablo Sandoval.....Howie Kendrick (If he can stay healthy he is a great hitter, not a ton of power but lots of doubles and hits)....Jose Lopez (Was good in seattle but is going to be better in Colorado)....Mike Aviles (Has shown flashes of being a solid hitter)....Martin Prado (He will have multiple position flexibility and he is good hitter)...Kila Ka'aihue (Has ridiculous pop and plays for the royals so he will get lots of PT)....Sean Rodriguez (I am not totally sold on him but he is the 2nd baseman in Tampa with Bartlett gone)....Mat Gamel (Through the roof potential but a risk).....Tyler Colvin (He is a solid OF and plays in Chitown).....And my prized sleeper is Michael Pineda (Should be a starter for Seattle about a month into the season and has sick stuff)....I like aroldis chapman but I am not sure if they will put him in the rotation or use him in the bullpen....Obviously everyone knows about him....

I have done a good deal of research already and have found this...

1. Positions that are thin this year are SS, C, and 3B. You need to draft them early in order to have good players at them.

2. OF, SP, and RP are three positions that in the past have been a little thin but this year are really deep. In standard ESPN leagues Beckett is being taken in the last 2-3 rounds, Lackey undrafted. So do not worry about picking those positions too early.

3. Good depth at 2B and 1B. But it still is nice to get one of the higher-end guys early.

4. A lot of players who had down seasons or were injured last year that could come back and be good if not great. Ex: Sizemore, Carlos Lee, Joe Nathan, Morneau, Beckett, ect.

5. As usual plenty of power hitters around in late rounds, but not many speed guys to draft so focus on them early.

6. A lot of new names at closing pitcher like in ATL, but could be good bets if you do your research.

7. Look at Johan Santana as a guy being drafted late, who is due to return early june, and could make a big impact.

8. Some players ranked a little too high for my taste like Jose Reyes who has been injured recently, Sin-Soo Chu, and Ichiro where you look at his stats and realize nothing pops that much besides BA.

I have done a good deal of research already and have found this...

1. Positions that are thin this year are SS, C, and 3B. You need to draft them early in order to have good players at them.

2. OF, SP, and RP are three positions that in the past have been a little thin but this year are really deep. In standard ESPN leagues Beckett is being taken in the last 2-3 rounds, Lackey undrafted. So do not worry about picking those positions too early.

3. Good depth at 2B and 1B. But it still is nice to get one of the higher-end guys early.

4. A lot of players who had down seasons or were injured last year that could come back and be good if not great. Ex: Sizemore, Carlos Lee, Joe Nathan, Morneau, Beckett, ect.

5. As usual plenty of power hitters around in late rounds, but not many speed guys to draft so focus on them early.

6. A lot of new names at closing pitcher like in ATL, but could be good bets if you do your research.

7. Look at Johan Santana as a guy being drafted late, who is due to return early june, and could make a big impact.

8. Some players ranked a little too high for my taste like Jose Reyes who has been injured recently, Sin-Soo Chu, and Ichiro where you look at his stats and realize nothing pops that much besides BA.

I agree positionally where there's some talent lacking. Speed is also something that will prove tough to find, without sacraficing other categories in order to play someone who has it. That's part of my thinking in moving up to the #2 spot. In doing so, I'd have Hanley's 30-40 SB's without really sacraficing much else. Tulo might put up better overall numbers, but minus the SB's. So it becomes a matter of what's more productive? Tulo + the SB player I'll need, versus Hanley + player X.

What do you guys think of Arod? He's lost 10 pounds and is supposedly healthy for the first time in a couple of years. I think he might be there at #19 or #23 if I pull the trigger on the trade. I'd then have my SS and 3B set. One thing about #19 is that I've seen Tim Lincecom slide to that range in a few mocks, or ranking listings. Boy would I love to snag him. He's a stat beast for pitchers.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back