PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida State @ Oklahoma

Flordia State

QB Christain Ponder; Great Mobility, cannon arm, showed some poor judgment throwing into coverage many times. Picked off twice, should have been picked at least 3 more times.

Oklahoma

RB Demarco Murray: didn't get much running room this game or touches (15 carries), and OU favored the pass heavily in this one. He did score 2 Rushing TD's, and had over 100 yards all purpose with one very nice leaping catch. Looked great catching out of the backfield, and is one of the more fluid players I've seen in a while.

WR Ryan Broyles: 12 rec. 124 yards. 1 TD. Great speed, hands, and vision. Lacks ideal #1 size. Listed at 5-11 183lbs but that sounds bigger than he looks. Never the less I think would make a great #2 on some team, we probably won't need that.

DE Jeremy Beal: One of the best defensive prospects for OU however he completely disappeared in this game. On top of that he was going against a red-shirt freshman. Did much of nothing and saw 1-1 matchup for most of the game.

CB Tony Jefferson: The starting nickelback was really impressive. Broke up 9 passes and just seemed to be everywhere. Strong solid tackles, no penalties. He is just a freshman however, but has looked good for the past couple games. Maybe in a couple years...

DeMarco Murray's stats today:

Rushing:
26 attempts
110 yards (4.2 avg)
2 rushing TD's

Rec:
5 catches
38 yards
1 rec. TD.

YTD stats:

77 attempts
369 yards
4.8 yards per attempt
7 Touchdowns (1 receiving)

Great Thread.

Box o Rocks?? :eek:

You are the MAN. :cool:

UofA, talk to us a bit about Brooks Reed, Ricky Elmore, & Co. I like you long haird Polynesian in the middle too.

Okay, back to DVR catch-up: Arkansas @ Georgia

Arkansas

DeMarcus Love, OT, 6'5" 315 - Georgia doesn't have any dominant edge rusher, so he's not getting tested that way, but he's showing himself able by dominating anyone Georgia lines up to his side. He definitely looks the part of a Top 10 contender in the draft. (Just for speculation, if he were to be drafted by NE, I'd leave Vollmer at RT and not mess with line chemistry.) Love got flipped to RT in the 3rd Qtr, apparently there are some college programs which like to flip Tackles with the TE - I saw Nevada doing this the other night. This is the first I've seen Love at RT in this game, but I haven't seen him pass block from that side - now I have, though it went for a TD he was clearly hitching his giddy-up trying to set up in Pass Pro while on the right.

D.J. Williams, TE, 6'2" 251 - Nice looking TE.

Georgia

Clint Boling, OT, 6'5" 310 - NFL Draft Scout projects Boling as a Guard in the NFL. It looks like he can be a four position player, especially because Boling gets flipped to the right side in Georgia's version of the Wild Kitty, so he's already Swing qualified. I think he'll need to get a little stronger, especially if he moves inside, but he's looking like 2nd/3rd round value in this game. 2nd Qtr, Boling has been moved inside to RG who got injured. Boling is now a stronger 2nd, maybe a late first for me. RG back, Boling back to LT.

Georgia also has a strong looking 2012 class:

Ben Jones, C, 6'3" 300 - NFL Draft Scout #2 OC for 2012.

A.J. Green, WR, 6'4" 205 - is suspended, but he's NFLDS's #1 WR for the 2012 class.

DeAngelo Tyson, NT, 6'2" 295 - Georgia is playing a 3-4, this kid is holding the middle just fine. He'd probably side out to DE in the NFL, but he's a good looking prospect to keep watching.

Alabama @ Arkansas

Arkansas

OT DeMarcus Love is looking goooooood. He's getting reps against Dareus when he's at RT. He's definitely not as smooth or as deep in his kick slide when he's on the right, if you used him on the right in the NFL, I'd move him inside to RG, but he looks too solid at LT to make that move.

TE D.J. Williams is a bull with the ball in his hands, though he carries it too loosely and paid the price. Happily for Arkansas, Bama's Barron tipped it into the hands of an Arkansas OL, but Williams is a TE to consider if he's available in the late rounds.

Ray Dominguez, OT, 6-4/330 - I noticed this kid in the Georgia game, he's a UDFA Guard consideration.

Arkansas junior to watch: Greg Childs, WR, 6-3/217 - big plays, nice hands.

Alabama

James Carpenter, OT, 6'5" 300 - As noted before, he's a LT whom I'd consider for OG.

Bama Juniors who might come out:

Marcell Dareus, DE, 6-3/306 - Arkansas was handling him.

Mark Barron, SS, 6-2/210 - He didn't stand out in the time I got to watch, but he's reported to be a good backstop.

Mark Ingram, RB, 5-10/215 - Busted a big one for a TD.

Julio Jones, WR, 6-4/220 - Nice possession receiver, I didn't get to see his big play potential in this game.

Rocks, Dareus looks like he has been hurt in this game for a while, he is not 100%

I have seen Julio Jones play a few times now, and I think any team who takes him in the first round is making a huge mistake. He is nothing more than a possession receiver who will struggle to get open, and his hands are pretty bad. The saying looks like Tarzan plays like Jane comes to mind

Both of bamas backs are really talented in different ways and complement each other really well, I would take both of them.

Alabama @ Arkansas

Arkansas

OT DeMarcus Love is looking goooooood. He's getting reps against Dareus when he's at RT. He's definitely not as smooth or as deep in his kick slide when he's on the right, if you used him on the right in the NFL, I'd move him inside to RG, but he looks too solid at LT to make that move.

Love looked much better against a hurt Dareus today than he did last week. I wasn't impressed at all against Georgia.

Off last week's DVR: Clemson @ Auburn

The D-lines have been beasts, the only OL whom stand out for decent games are the two LTs, but they didn't have to go up against the DTs making the noise very often.

Auburn

Zach Clayton, DE, 6-3/296 - lined up at DT on the first series, he made one nice penetration TFL play and another nice stack & shed against the Center to catch up the RB by his heels. Neither of those plays saw much attention to Fairley, so it's not like this kid was being relegated to second priority. Nice look from him so far. He drew a double-team, which allowed Fairley to beat his man (presumably, it could have been a blown assignment by Clemson) to scoot through for a nice TFL. Really stupid personal foul mistake to let Clemson out of their own end zone, too much hustle, lack of field location awareness by the sideline.

Jr. Nick Fairley, is already on the draft junky's short list for NE DE prospect. He's matched up against a good O-line and it's a nice BoB battle. The only time I saw him truly man-handled on the first drive was on the TD play when LT Hairston blocked down on him, then used Nick's spin move to move him outside and pancake him over a pile-up. This guy is fast off the snap and has been disrupting things all night.

Lee Ziemba, OT, 6-6/320 - LT, he's back from the knee injury that nicked him up in the first game I watched. Looking good on first drive, he got out to the second level easily. He was flipped to the right side for an unbalanced line, he missed his down block, letting the DT go for the pulling LG, and went out to nail a LB. Should have been called for hands to the face on one play where Miguel Chavis bull rushed him back and the LG had to double-up to slow his pass rush.

Mike Blanc, DT, 6-3/298 - Another Auburn DT playing strong inside, he took on a double-team and still forced the tackle on an inside run.

The Auburn D-line, after Clemson's first drive, took control of the LOS forcing Clemson to play on the edge - the Auburn LBs and Secondary are not playing as effectively. Fairley, Blanc, Clayton - cashing checks and snapping necks inside.

Josh Bynes, ILB, 6-2/235 - he's been the steadiest of the Aurburn LBs and Secondary, worth watching.

Jr. Darvin Adams, WR, 6-3/185 - Once the Auburn OL started getting a handle on the Clemosn DL this kid started making noise as a receiver.

Clemson

Chris Hairston, OT, 6-7/325 - Nice looking in Clemson's ground & pound attack.

Miguel Chavis, DT, 6-5/285 - Nice, split a double-team to flush the QB out of the pocket and draw a holding penalty. I keep seeing him disrupting things or making plays. Pressure, tough against the run, nice game by this kid. Forced two false start penalties against Ziemba trying to get set-up quick on this kid.

DeAndre McDaniel, SS, 6-0/215 - Int, the Auburn QB eyed the ball into his hands staring down his receiver.

Jarvis Jenkins, DT, 6-4/315 - One of those DTs making the middle so tough for Auburn.

Junior watch list

Brandon Thompson, DT, 6-2/310 - Penetrated, beating Ziemba, to disrupt a running play in the backfield. His buddies cleaned up after he was tackled (no flag) by the pulling Guard. Another of the Clemson DL making things tough inside.

DaQuan Bowers, DE, 6-4/275 - Highly rated, but slow off the ball and too easily blocked by a TE/FB, though he eventually fought through the block to clean-up after his buddy Thompson blew things up. He warmed up and started making plays regularly. Part of the DL disrupters, though he was more on the edge.

Jamie Harper, RB, 5-11/235 - soft RB, but if he can learn to pick up blitzes he could be a good third down back, great hands, excellent speed, good wiggle, just not a pounder despite his size.

Rennie Moore, DE, 6-4/270 - part of the DL rotation whom I saw stirring things up.

Love looked much better against a hurt Dareus today than he did last week. I wasn't impressed at all against Georgia.
I liked his athleticism when I watched the Georgia game, I don't think anyone really challenged him. I only got to see the first half of Alabama, but he did seem to be playing stronger, perhaps rising to the level of his competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes