Welcome to PatsFans.com

2011 Draft Prospects

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by PATSNUTme, May 15, 2010.

1. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +113 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

2. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +113 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

3. BritPat

BritPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +135 / 2 / -2

#54 Jersey

Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh.

The next Panther star to enter the league following, LeSean McCoy, Jeff Otah, Darelle Revis, Antonio Bryant and Larry Fitzgerald.

A dominating specimen in the style of Randy Moss and Vincent Jackson.
  4. reamer

reamer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Amen, my friend from across the sea. And here are a few clips to provide visuals:

YouTube - JONATHAN BALDWIN SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

and of course this gem:

YouTube - Pitt's WR Jonathan Baldwin highlights vs Notre Dame

Let me add to the list by promoting two guys I'm excited about for next year, Aldon Smith and Robert Quinn. Quinn is my number one target for next year, as I believe I've mentioned a couple dozen times now, but here are some highlights to get people fired up:

YouTube - Robert Quinn vs. Virginia ('09)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqJrjwjf55c

And one for Aldon Smith:

YouTube - Aldon Smith vs. Colorado

---

As the year goes by I'll continue to list videos and notes about my players who catch my eye, and I'm excited to hear from the many intelligent members in the draft forum--most of you are far more insightful than I am, and you really bring great depth to the conversation. Keep it up, guys! :rocker:
  5. mmasterkillah

mmasterkillah Rookie

Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -0

#11 Jersey

I like the D-lineman and WR's in this year's draft.

I like Allen Bailey at 3-4 DE.
  6. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0

I see a lot of 3-4 DEs being hyped up by fans that have little to no chance of being picked by the Patriots because they don't fit the system.
  7. mmasterkillah

mmasterkillah Rookie

Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -0

#11 Jersey

What is it about Allen Bailey that makes him undesirable for our schemes?
  8. reamer

reamer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Um. Where to start?

He plays with very poor leverage and pad level. He's massive and extraordinarily athletic, and yet still gets engulfed at the point of attack way, way too frequently. He's a huge project in every area the Pats value. His technique, maturity, and overall understanding of the game rate extremely poorly. Etc. I wouldn't touch him unless he somehow falls to the fourth or lower, just like the left tackle Campbell did this year. At that point his upside is worth the risk, but no earlier.
  9. MaineMan

MaineMan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Baldwin does sorta remind me of Moss in those highlights. Even laid down a nice block in one clip. The DB (#2) for ND must've been hospitalized with 3rd-degree burns after the game. The ND safety (#31) appears to be a pretty good tackler, though. Who were those guys, anyway? Was the safety Sergio Brown?

Can't really tell much from the Quinn and Smith vids, though. Their successes seemed due as much to some weak-a$$ed O-lines as much as to their own talents. Or, maybe they just made those lines look weak. It might be better to see clips of games in which they did NOT do well, so as to be able to analyze why not. In any case, I saw speed and athleticism, but not a lot of technique.
  10. bucky

bucky Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is the same guy who had 1 reception for 17 yards against McCourty. Right?
  11. the wrothbroughterer

the wrothbroughterer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm glad we got McCourty then.
  12. the wrothbroughterer

the wrothbroughterer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Early favorites for me:

Jared Crick, DT/DE Nebraska, 6'6" - 285lbs
    77 Tackles and 9.5 Sacks as a RS Sophomore. Not bad considering who he played next to in 2009. A little more bulk and he is a white version of Richard Seymour.

YouTube - Jared Crick vs. Baylor

Mark Ingram, RB Alabama, 5'10" - 215lbs
    Heisman winner, otherworldly vision, runs with purpose, not afraid to bowl people over, and he can catch. He's your prototypical every down feature back.

YouTube - Mark Ingram(#22)- Official 2009 Heisman Highlights

Akeem Ayers, OLB UCLA, 6'4" - 254lbs
    He's got the height-weight-speed combination that Belichick looks for. Good production as a RS Sophomore last year with 77 Tackles, 14.5TFL, 6.0 Sacks, and 4 INTs. Oh yeah, he did this, too.

Matt Reynolds, OT BYU, 6'6" - 329lbs
    High character and high intelligence player, great football bloodlines, has started at LT for BYU from day 1. He's got the length that the Pats seem to be looking for in Tackles.

Sam Acho, DE Texas, 6'3" - 260lbs
    Measurables match up with what the Pats look for in OLBs. Good bulk to set the edge and be the Rush OLB. Production isn't great at this point but only became a full time starter in 2009.

Noel Devine, RB West Virginia, 5'8" - 180lbs
    A bigger, faster version of Darren Sproles. Played in 38 games and was the starter the last 2 seasons. Has rushed for 2,754 yards the past 2 seasons while contribuing 57 receptions during the same span. Him combined with Mark Ingram would make for a hell of a backfield combination.

YouTube - Noel Devine For Heisman 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  13. mmasterkillah

mmasterkillah Rookie

Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -0

#11 Jersey

Fourth round? Geez. A Bruce Campbell comparison? Huh?

I disagree very heavily with your "scouting" of this physical specimen. First off, I have never heard an issue about his "maturity", or anything related to it (passion for football etc.). Secondly, Allen was recruited as a LB, transitioned to DE, and then was moved to DT because of his increase in size/strength. DT was where he got playing time over some talented young players last year. His technique seems to be better than you'd expect it to be at this point in his career, as he has proven to be stout against the run, showing an ability to also control the edge in the 4-3 end spot with his long arms and quick feet. He is about 290 pounds of pure athlete with no issues (off field or on field-laziness) ala Carlos Dunlap or Michael Johnson (a couple of recently media friendly players who slipped in the draft, who were mostly just pass-rushers). He was the Canes best defender along with Brandon Harris last year, another kid who is constantly progressing.
  14. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0

To be an elite Fairbanks 3-4 DE (which is what he'd have to be if we're taking him in the first round), he basically needs to be able to overpower an NFL OT while there's a TE blocking him from the side. In the little film I've seen, he has never shown to me that he'd be able to handle that.
  15. jsull87

jsull87 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Tell you what i like the look of Jared Crick he seemed to get a great push and have a high motor. We'll have to see how he goes this year tho without Suh next to him but i liked the tape. Specially the playes where he didn't win but kept pursuing
  16. HobokenPatsFan

HobokenPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BEN IJILANA, LT/LG - VILLANOVA

*Here's a name to keep an eye on. The Patriots are very familiar with players from this FCS Championship team (Ventrone Brother's) & if they're looking for a mauler with great feet in this upcoming draft to replace Mankins in 2011, this might just be the guy they're looking for.

I respect people's opinions on this board and I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I can't provide the link cause I'm a newbie but you can find the link on sportsnetwork. com and top 10 FCS Linemen.
  17. Defsoul

Defsoul Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He is already drawing some attention. Wes Bunting has him listed at #47 in his Top 100 senior prospects for 2011.
  18. BritPat

BritPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +135 / 2 / -2

#54 Jersey

Cody Habben, OT, Washington.
  19. truetodablues

truetodablues Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Personally, i'm hoping the Patriots somehow land RB Marc Ingram in 2011 and the committee is finally done. Those roster spots could be better filled in my opinion.
  20. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Re: 2011 Small School Draft Prospects...

THE BEST source for small college prospects has just posted his first top 125 board, which he'll post weekly leading up to the draft. His #1 prospect is someone I'm VERY high on for the Pats and was mentioned several posts above -- OT/OG Ben Ljalana.

JBS Small School Top 125 Big Board