PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Draft Fail Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Football's Future, some more FAIL, this time Chiefs-related:

4.Kansas City Chiefs - Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina

Maybe Matt Cassell went undrafted for a reason? I dont think so. This team isnt losing games because of its offense. Thomas Jones and Jamaal Charles are a beastly duo and Cassell to Bowe is great verticle connection. The team hasn't been able to find their Wes Welker yet, but its their Defense that needs immediate attention because they cant even stop the Raiders in 2010. Is it too bold to say that Robert Quinn in the best pass rusher prospect EVER?

68.Kansas City Chiefs - Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa

Matt Cassell will prove in 2010 that he was a one year wonder. I expect the Chiefs will give him 1 more year to prove himself and meanwhile groom Stanzi to be their QB of the future. This Big Arm QB has been very productive for Iowa. I can see this corn fed country boy as the face of their organization.

:bricks:

Last edited:
Corn fed country boy? He's from an Ohio city of 50,000.

While I was on FF, I found a mock with the Pats picking at 15 and 19. Fifteen was our pick. Nineteen was from the Raiders. Fail.

I'm not optimistic about our chances this year, but even I don't think that we'll finish behind the Faiders...unless Brady tears another knee.

Why would you post a mock draft by some kid who (from the looks of it) has less than 40 posts on a forum message board? That seems dumb.

Why would you post a mock draft by some kid who (from the looks of it) has less than 40 posts on a forum message board? That seems dumb.

If you're making a mock draft (especially a three-rounder), it should at least be coherent.

Before we added Spikes, I was really looking at adding Dont'a Hightower next year in the first round. I think he's actually going to be better than McClain and would've been sick with Mayo. But I can't complain about Spikes and Mayo, as I love that duo as well.

I expect us to let Moss walk and hope to pick up one of those elite WR prospects. Right now, my favorites are Green and Baldwin but I would definitely take Jones or Floyd as well.

I was 100% set on grabbing Patrick Peterson, who some are talking about as the most talented corner since Bailey or Revis, but that seems very unlikely with the high picks spent on Butler and McCourty in addition to the long term deal given to Bodden.

Robert Quinn seems like a pipe dream barring the Raiders having an atrocious year. Though I guess that isn't out of the realm of possibility. :singing:

I wouldn't mind seeing us use our #32 pick ;) on a RB like Ryan Williams if possible.

There are also some good 5-techs coming out, like Clayborn, Heyward, and Bailey, so I could definitely see Bill going DL as he loves to do. OLB is looking pretty good too, and Quinn, Romeus, Ayers, Bowers are a few names I'll definitely be keeping an eye on.

Can't wait for college and pro football to start.

Here's some tasty seven-round(!) FAIL. . . .

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/

1.10 [OAK] Mark Ingram* RB Alabama 5' 10" 215
1.15 :mad: Bruce Carter OLB UNC 6' 3" 230
2.15 Clint Boling OT Georgia 6' 5" 297
2.23 [CAR] :mad: Terrance Toliver WR LSU 6' 5" 206
3.15 Ronald Johnson WR USC 6' 0" 190
4.15 Steve Schilling OG Michigan 6' 5" 305
5.15 Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada 6' 6" 220
6.15 Owen Marecic FB Stanford 6' 1" 245
6.32 [NO] A.J. Jones ILB Florida 6' 1" 226

Admittedly, there's a fair amount to like there (although at least one of those WR picks, and certainly the ILB pick, look like utter wastes). But here's where the real fail comes. . . .

They also project a first round in 2012. . . .

21 Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri 6' 5" 240

Before we added Spikes, I was really looking at adding Dont'a Hightower next year in the first round. I think he's actually going to be better than McClain and would've been sick with Mayo. But I can't complain about Spikes and Mayo, as I love that duo as well.

I expect us to let Moss walk and hope to pick up one of those elite WR prospects. Right now, my favorites are Green and Baldwin but I would definitely take Jones or Floyd as well.

I was 100% set on grabbing Patrick Peterson, who some are talking about as the most talented corner since Bailey or Revis, but that seems very unlikely with the high picks spent on Butler and McCourty in addition to the long term deal given to Bodden.

Robert Quinn seems like a pipe dream barring the Raiders having an atrocious year. Though I guess that isn't out of the realm of possibility. :singing:

I wouldn't mind seeing us use our #32 pick ;) on a RB like Ryan Williams if possible.

There are also some good 5-techs coming out, like Clayborn, Heyward, and Bailey, so I could definitely see Bill going DL as he loves to do. OLB is looking pretty good too, and Quinn, Romeus, Ayers, Bowers are a few names I'll definitely be keeping an eye on.

Can't wait for college and pro football to start.

The ideal scenario, IMHO, is that Moss gets so hot this season (as the Pats win another SB) that his new agent gets him so much money through outside endorsement deals that he's willing to re-up for another year or two at a reasonable amount and to mentor the stud WR that we draft at #17 in 2011 (with the Raiders' pick).

Before you ask . . . Yes, I am on prescription painkillers.

(wheeeee!)

It's never too early!

WalterFootball.com: 2011 NFL Mock Draft - Matt McGuire

12. Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
19. Deunta Williams, S, North Carolina
51. Cameron Jordan, DE, California
54. Chris Culliver, S, South Carolina

Two first 2 round safeties in additon to Chung and Meriweather? Von Miller, who would get demolished in a 2-gap 34? (And the Panthers being better than the Patriots?!)

Draft tek has the Patriots taking
5. Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
26. Von Miller OLB Texas A&M
43. Noel Devine RB West Virginia
58. Rodney Hudson OG Florida State

Corn fed country boy? He's from an Ohio city of 50,000.

While I was on FF, I found a mock with the Pats picking at 15 and 19. Fifteen was our pick. Nineteen was from the Raiders. Fail.

Hahaha, funny as hell

The ideal scenario, IMHO, is that Moss gets so hot this season (as the Pats win another SB) that his new agent gets him so much money through outside endorsement deals that he's willing to re-up for another year or two at a reasonable amount and to mentor the stud WR that we draft at #17 in 2011 (with the Raiders' pick).

(wheeeee!)

I'd love for that to happen as well but don't think it's likely :(

Some tasty, tasty EPIC FAIL from DraftTek in their latest.

They state that the Patriots biggest needs are 3-4 DE and 3-4 OLB. So what do they get in the first round?

5 (from OAK). DeAndre McDaniel Clemson SS

26. Von Miller Texas A&M OLB34

Out of interest why do people think Von Miller would be a bad choice for the Pats? It's pretty difficult to follow college football over here in the UK so the best I can usually get is reading various player analyses (never quite the same as actually get to see them play) and from what I've read the consensus seems to be that Miller would back a great 3-4 OLB in the NFL

(wheeeee!)
Me too, but i'm not hallucinating this bad :D

Thought, maybe i should take some more.

Last edited:
Out of interest why do people think Von Miller would be a bad choice for the Pats? It's pretty difficult to follow college football over here in the UK so the best I can usually get is reading various player analyses (never quite the same as actually get to see them play) and from what I've read the consensus seems to be that Miller would back a great 3-4 OLB in the NFL

Not big or strong enough.

Texas A&M used him as a pure edge rusher and didn't require him to set the edge in the run game. He made tackles in pursuit, but at the point of attack he was weak. Hopefully he worked on that last Spring and this Summer. He has a new Defensive Coordinator who is installing a 3-4, reportedly he will be dropping into coverage more often now. One of the things people forget is young men his age still haven't finished growing, he can bulk up and get stronger with the right diet and conditioning work.

Based on last season he was a good fit for a Dallas or Pittsburgh 3-4, we'll see if his new DC has him playing run and coverage assignments, we know he can speed rush the QB. I haven't written him off yet.

Been a while since I added something here, so I'll add this draft from last week (10/18) as a general indicator of draft FAIL:

9. Kansas City Chiefs Jake Locker, QB - Washington Huskies

Locker is the most athletic QB in the 2011 NFL Draft however I think he will need a little work. He is a polished passer, like Luck and Mallet, but with time should be a very good NFL QB. I still expect Locker to be a top 10 pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

I just don't get it.

The Chiefs have no problem for which the solution is dumping Cassel for a rookie QB.

One more. Yes, it's Bleacher Report (the site that, per one of our British colleagues, proves that not everyone is entitled to their own opinion), but still:

6. New England Patriots (from Oak) - Stefen Wisniewski, C, Penn St. - Wisniewski can play guard or center, and with six picks in the first three rounds, New England has plenty of flexibility to play with and it is never afraid to draft a player higher than projected.

:bricks: :bricks:

One more. Yes, it's Bleacher Report (the site that, per one of our British colleagues, proves that not everyone is entitled to their own opinion), but still:

:bricks: :bricks:

I'm trying to remember the last time a C was drafted that high. I'm having trouble coming up with anything.

And the second center is taken at #13 :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey