PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 cba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Miguel - have been looking for a copy of that.

Anybody wanna tell me what all that means? :lol2:

A big thank you over here! I'm looking forward to check this out.

Last edited:
The big question, in my mind, is whether they removed judicial oversight from the agreement

As per p96, has it always been the case that you can "carry-over" salary cap room from one year to the next?

Don't remember that being in effect before...

Page 94, section 2, talks about the acceleration of dead money

Basically, if you cut a guy prior to June 1st, all dead money counts on the cap in that year.

If you cut a guy after June 2nd, all dead money counts on the cap in the next year.

You can also designate 2 pre-June 1st cuts to counts as post-June 1st cuts, deferring the dead money cost for 1 year.

Basically, I think that means that the dead money for Ty Warren and TBC will count fully on the cap in 2012. Which is a pretty sizeable chunk of cash if I remember correctly.

Lawyer speak makes me dizzy, will wait for the Reader's Digest Version.

The big question, in my mind, is whether they removed judicial oversight from the agreement

I haven't read this migraine inducing document yet, but that was clearly stated in the summary the owners approved. Nothing much changed from that point on. There will be arbitration as is standard with any CBA and decisions will be either handled by or appealable to a 3 person panel agreed upon by the league and the NFLPA. One panel member must be a retired judge. But arbitration will be binding so there is no appeal process to a sitting judge or friendly court...so decisions should be timely. ;)

Page 94, section 2, talks about the acceleration of dead money

Basically, if you cut a guy prior to June 1st, all dead money counts on the cap in that year.

If you cut a guy after June 2nd, all dead money counts on the cap in the next year.

You can also designate 2 pre-June 1st cuts to counts as post-June 1st cuts, deferring the dead money cost for 1 year.

Basically, I think that means that the dead money for Ty Warren and TBC will count fully on the cap in 2012. Which is a pretty sizeable chunk of cash if I remember correctly.

Future dead money accelerates, existing dead money doesn't have to to count in the present because it was already there. So in the case of Warren and TBC their dead money from 2011 (bonus amortization and any workout or other currently paid money like if they'd had a roster bonus paid before they were released) counts in 2011 and all the remaining dead money (amortization remaining over the balance of their deal) counts in 2012. That was confirmed to me by a capologist over on PFT yesterday. The way they explain it is confusing because they leave the impression nothing counts in the present, and that is not true.

As per p96, has it always been the case that you can "carry-over" salary cap room from one year to the next? Don't remember that being in effect before...

Yup. Not sure if it was spelled out this clearly in the old CBA, thus teams found ways to via LTBE's that really weren't all that likely. This CBA seems to eliminate the need to engage in that process with teams simply notifying the league at the end of the regular season and prior to the start of a new league year that they wish to carry over any specified amount of unused cap (although it will be subject to adjustment to account for any uncharged cap expenses.

I'm still waiting for someone to confirm or dispute Peter King's contention in MMQB that teams were allowed to carry over unused cap space from 2009 (the last capped year under the old CBA). He indicated the Eagles had an adjusted cap of $125M for 2011 based on that being the case.

Last edited:
in PDF form

http://www.thenetrat.com/cba-2011-2020.pdf

A fellow amateur capologist has uploaded a copy of the 2011 CBA.

Thanks for the link Miguel.

I recall the old CBA used to be available at the NFLPA site, but for whatever reason they took away access to the public for that a few years ago. The legalese can be a bit cumbersome to get through but it is a very valuable tool for NFL fans and media when looking for answers about not just the CBA, but other NFL topics as well.

Thanks for the link Miguel.

I recall the old CBA used to be available at the NFLPA site, but for whatever reason they took away access to the public for that a few years ago. The legalese can be a bit cumbersome to get through but it is a very valuable tool for NFL fans and media when looking for answers about not just the CBA, but other NFL topics as well.

Agreed. It'll take me a few weeks to read through this because of all the work I've got ahead of me, but it looks to be interesting. What having a copy of this means is that we can all get a better understanding of some of the reasons behind roster moves, contract negotiations, etc, beyond the "freeing up cap space" general statement.

Besides that, it's always nice to get a good look behind the scenes of how the NFL works.

I'm still waiting for someone to confirm or dispute Peter King's contention in MMQB that teams were allowed to carry over unused cap space from 2009 (the last capped year under the old CBA). He indicated the Eagles had an adjusted cap of $125M for 2011 based on that being the case.

There are adjustments from 2009 being applied to this year's cap. It's not the usual "carrying over," but teams are receiving adjustments.

Thanks Adam. When you get a read on just what it is or what Pats adjusted cap is (if it is) would appreciate a heads up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey