PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Binkies

Status
Not open for further replies.
No binkie for me yet. In fact, I'm a little concerned over the lack of depth in this draft.

No binkie for me yet. In fact, I'm a little concerned over the lack of depth in this draft.

Agree. Fortunately the Pats will have the ability to pick 4-5 times before the talent falls off the cliff. And if the majority of top juniors declare, the first couple of rounds should be well stocked.

If I have to pick a binkie, Rashad Carmichael is probably it. I was pretty luke-warm on McCourty but I was totally wrong. He is actually the prototype CB for a Belichick defense. Carmichael is the player in this draft that reminds me of him. Fast and willing to come up and hit in run support. Lives in the film room and takes pride in knowing everything that is happening on the field. I don't see CB as a top need but the Pats should be able to get Carmichael with a 2nd round pick.

As a late-round/UDFA flyer, how about Lawrence Marsh? He was my binkie 2 years ago but has fallen off the planet since. Wasn't able to translate his skills to expected on-field production on super-talented Gator teams and wasn't able to stay healthy this year when a less-talented squad could have used him. At 6'5", 290 he could use a Taylor Price redshirt year to get healthy and bulk up. If he is a slug, Belichick would know. But if he was just snake-bit and needs time to develop (still only 22), Belichick would also know.

As a late-round/UDFA flyer, how about Lawrence Marsh? He was my binkie 2 years ago but has fallen off the planet since. Wasn't able to translate his skills to expected on-field production on super-talented Gator teams and wasn't able to stay healthy this year when a less-talented squad could have used him. At 6'5", 290 he could use a Taylor Price redshirt year to get healthy and bulk up. If he is a slug, Belichick would know. But if he was just snake-bit and needs time to develop (still only 22), Belichick would also know.

I think Marsh was suspended from the bowl game yesterday.

He is intriguing as a UDFA. He seems better suited to our 2 gap than Florida's attacking one gap. I would not mind seeing BB bring him in and seeing what he is made of, if he passes the character test.

Agree. Fortunately the Pats will have the ability to pick 4-5 times before the talent falls off the cliff. And if the majority of top juniors declare, the first couple of rounds should be well stocked.

I hope you're right, but I'd rather see BB fold his cards and wait to 2012 than to reach with our high round draft picks in this year's draft.

I hope you're right, but I'd rather see BB fold his cards and wait to 2012 than to reach with our high round draft picks in this year's draft.

I think this draft is plenty deep for two plus rounds and BB should come out of this draft with at least 4 solid players (and a couple of 2012 picks) capable of contributing big time next year, if there is a season.

Jordon Todman - Second leading rusher in the nation. If he goes in the third round I hope the pats grab him. Could he be the next Ray Rice? I think he could backup both BJGE and Woodhead. Would be a good fit, plus he is a local kid!

I agree with Bruce Miller, add Tank Carder as a similar type player although Miller is a DE that would convert to LB ala Dane Fletcher. Carder is a linebacker, may be a JR. Don't know if he comes out. Actually, I thought JJ Watt was a gamer. Don't know if he is good enough to displace any of our DLs. I did like Andy Dalton and the guy from Missouri, Blaine Gabbert (looked a little Brady like in the pocker). I liked Jim Clay from Wisconsin, big bruiser, and surprisingly, Evan Royster of Penn State, knowing that PS RBs don't equate to success in the pros. Mark Ingrahm looks like a BJGE guy with more speed but wouldn't want to use a 1 or 2 on him. Alshon Jeffrey from South Carolina is my WR but he's only a sophmore so he will not be out this year.

Casey Matthews, Oregon... we passed on one of the matthews. I think he would be a good fit and you could potentially move Spikes on the outside to rush the passer on 3rd down.

danny watkins og baylor
mikel leshoure rb illinois
justin houston olb georgia

I am not here to bash on anyone's binky, but I just moved away from Iowa City and have seen every game of his the last 2 years. I liked him last year, but not for the PAtriots system, and this year, he did absolutely nothing all year.

I am just wondering what you saw that makes you so high on this guy when he did nothing on the field to warrant such high praise. By the end of the year, he was not even getting extra help and still did not put up even pedestrian type numbers.

I don't really think he would be a fit here either, I'm not picking him as a binkie for the Pats to draft. Just as my overall binkie as a player who will shine in the league.

After watching the first half of the Rose Bowl, I'm going to start walking back my JJ Watt binkie nomination. On the other side of the ball, though, Carimi and Moffitt really look like they know what they're doing - at least when the sideline doesn't call in stupid or poorly designed plays.

Thank you!! I thought I was the only one on this board that has been unimpressed with JJ Watt. I have a bunch of DVR'd games and after watching the Rose bowl, I went back to find what other games I had of Wisc. and I just do not have much to say positive about what I saw of him. I saw far to many plays where he got blown out on run plays and he seems to play really high. I see him more as a 1 gap 3-4 DE than in our system, but that is just one man's very uneducated opinion on this guy.
I also was disappointed watching Justin Houston, the 3-4 OLB from Georgia in their bowl game. I thought he played well against the run, but I did not see any explosion when going after the QB and there is no way he is as tall as his listed height of 6-3.

I'm totally binky-free at this point, but I tend to agree that Watt will climb and end up a reasonable 1A choice.

I like Wisniewski a lot, but his value is much higher as a C than OG, and it scares me that shotgun snapping is his achilles heel. Koppen is such a flawless snapper that we tend to forget that whole aspect of the shotgun.

Also, I really want to see Kerrigan's drills at the combine. His positives are impressive -- the strength, the awareness, and those amazingly violent hands that make it look like he's taking an axe to the OT's arms. But watching him bull forward from a 3-pt stance again and again, it's tough to picture him as a linebacker.

That's really a big question mark. Can a guy who plays with his hand/s on the ground the whole time make the transition to OLB in the Pats 3-4 system? I do like his blend of size, speed and power. I think the guy could potentially set the edge at OLB as well at 6'4 263 lbs. The question is can he make that transition. I'm just not sure about gambling a 1st round pick on a conversion project.

Ryan Kerrigan Scouting Report - 2011 NFL Draft Prospect

That's really a big question mark. Can a guy who plays with his hand/s on the ground the whole time make the transition to OLB in the Pats 3-4 system? I do like his blend of size, speed and power. I think the guy could potentially set the edge at OLB as well at 6'4 263 lbs. The question is can he make that transition. I'm just not sure about gambling a 1st round pick on a conversion project.

The reverse situation of Kerrigan is Jeremy Beal, who lines up all over -- hand down one play, standing up the next -- and does a little bit of everything. He rushes the passer, reads runs well, and looks surprisingly smooth dropping into coverage. It's super-easy to project him to the Patriots' defense. But...while he always seems to play smart and disciplined and sound, he never seems to dominate or demand extra attention from the offense.

I may be making light of this but it seems to me this is the question every year and we always say that player X has never done it in college so probably won't in our system.

But then you look at our LB core Cunningham and Ninkovich were both College DE's no? And in the tape i saw i never saw cunningham drop into coverage. Hell even dane fletcher (like bruschi) was a college DE.

I do find it very difficult to project the OLB position when it's hard to know what they are looking for. If you use the cunningham example it was good solid play against the run, good motor and good team mate that got him in over the flashyer dunlap.

now we all think cunningham has done well but dunlap in cincy has got like 8 sacks. Would both have been as successful in the others system? don't know

I may be making light of this but it seems to me this is the question every year and we always say that player X has never done it in college so probably won't in our system.

But then you look at our LB core Cunningham and Ninkovich were both College DE's no? And in the tape i saw i never saw cunningham drop into coverage. Hell even dane fletcher (like bruschi) was a college DE.

No question, you usually have to make huge projections on DEs with limited college responsibilities. But that's one reason so many people are talking about watching Kerrigan's drills. All the post-season stuff -- all-star games, combine drills, measurables, pro day reports -- gives glimpses of potential for transition.

Cunningham was a tough one for draftniks because he was injured and out of the whole post-season scene. Ninkovich showed impressive agility at the combine -- the best combo of shuttle and cone times of any DE in the entire 2006 draft. That boded well for asking him to work in space. Here's a sage comment from back then ;):
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...sition-week-5-linebacker-page3.html#post70232

No question, you usually have to make huge projections on DEs with limited college responsibilities. But that's one reason so many people are talking about watching Kerrigan's drills. All the post-season stuff -- all-star games, combine drills, measurables, pro day reports -- gives glimpses of potential for transition.

Cunningham was a tough one for draftniks because he was injured and out of the whole post-season scene. Ninkovich showed impressive agility at the combine -- the best combo of shuttle and cone times of any DE in the entire 2006 draft. That boded well for asking him to work in space. Here's a sage comment from back then ;):
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...sition-week-5-linebacker-page3.html#post70232
Good call, he'd have been a nice 6th round selection for NE. :)

Thank you!! I thought I was the only one on this board that has been unimpressed with JJ Watt. I have a bunch of DVR'd games and after watching the Rose bowl, I went back to find what other games I had of Wisc. and I just do not have much to say positive about what I saw of him. I saw far to many plays where he got blown out on run plays and he seems to play really high. I see him more as a 1 gap 3-4 DE than in our system, but that is just one man's very uneducated opinion on this guy.
I also was disappointed watching Justin Houston, the 3-4 OLB from Georgia in their bowl game. I thought he played well against the run, but I did not see any explosion when going after the QB and there is no way he is as tall as his listed height of 6-3.

I also took another look and, in fairness to Watt, he's been asked to do a lot of things at Wisconsin that wouldn't be required of him as a two-gap 3-4DE in BB's system - such as being the outside contain guy/edge-setter with little or no help behind him. He'd still be very raw, though.

Since I almost always pick a sooner for this (being a huge OU fan) here is mine

DeMarco Murray

Season stats

Yards: 1,214
YPA: 4.3
Rush TD's: 15
Receptions: 71
Rec yards: 595
Rec TD's: 5

Total Yards (not including KO's)

Total TD's:

was never a big Watt fan either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey