PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2010 wide receivers to start the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me crazy but I'd take TO on this team in a heartbeat. Sign him to a one year prove it deal (year is likely uncapped anyhow) and draft a WR with one of the 2nds (use the 1st if there is a good value available). I know people question his attitude but the guy earned my respect when he made a miraculous recovery to play in SB39 against us (and he played quite well). So in 2010 you have:

Moss
TO
Edelman
Draft pick
FA journeyman

with Welker and Tate recovering from injuries and possibly contributing later. This gives the draft pick and Tate one more year to develop in the system, then we come back in 2011 with

Welker
Tate
Draft pick
2011 acquisitions

Drafting will be key though we need at least 2 guy in the next 2 years to be similar to Deion Branch/David Givens production to go with Welker once Moss is gone (only 1 if Tate is the real deal). No need to do anything drastic, in 2002 we got 2 starter quality WR's without spending a 1st rounder on a WR.
I wouldn't take him in a heartbeat, but it's something I would definitely look into this year.

But, only as a last resort if we can't trade for anyone and no-one on too much money.

And of the above players named, i'd take Bryant or Tate early. Or Shipley a bit later. The others aren't must drafts for me. Unless they fall on the board and become a value pick.

But who will be available when the Patriots make their first pick? Given the team's recent draft trade proclivities, that pick should come about midway through the 3rd round. ;)

This is the year to trade down, so I hope they use that tactic again. I'd like to see 6 players in the first 75 taken, and when you look at a pass rusher like Jerry hughes who is projected at about 25 in mocks, and you compare him to Carlos Dunlap or Antonio Coleman who are projected at 40 and 50, I don't see why you wouldn't trade down. Same thing with the WRs. If you can grab Mardy Gilyard at 70 and Jacob Ford or Marcus Easley in the 4th round, you're better off with more picks. Not to mention all the OLB types that will be available, guys that can really rush the passer.

I can see your reasoning with thinking about bringing in TO but you couldnt have Moss and TO on the same team, that would be a disaster. Some possibilities that come to mind that would be good fits here are Malcolm Floyd and Antonio Bryant

I'm a big Bryant fan, was really hoping for him in the '02 draft. I would love for us to look into him. I hear what you're saying about TO and Moss, I'd have definitely agreed 4-5 years ago but I think both have matured since then. TO spent an entire season on a bad team with bad QB's and he didn't act up once. Moss of course hasn't ever been a problem for us other than being late to one meeting. It's worth a try, especially in an uncapped year. And you know if it ever did become a problem, BB would dead it in a hurry... even if he needs to give TO the axe midseason.

I'm a big Bryant fan, was really hoping for him in the '02 draft. I would love for us to look into him. I hear what you're saying about TO and Moss, I'd have definitely agreed 4-5 years ago but I think both have matured since then. TO spent an entire season on a bad team with bad QB's and he didn't act up once. Moss of course hasn't ever been a problem for us other than being late to one meeting. It's worth a try, especially in an uncapped year. And you know if it ever did become a problem, BB would dead it in a hurry... even if he needs to give TO the axe midseason.

TO did act up in Buffalo, he was very critical of the play calling midseason, but yes he was not as bad as what he was in the past in Dallas. I can see where your coming from about him being on a bad team last year and maybe him not being an issue. I dont think TO would be 1st on the Pats ideas at WR, but if our top options dont work out I wouldnt mind the Pats taking a look at TO

All this wide reciever talk is moot if we don't fix the o and d-lines... not a bad way to way to waste time tho

Is there any possible way the Pats can draft an offensive co-ordinator?

All this wide reciever talk is moot if we don't fix the o and d-lines... not a bad way to way to waste time tho

The O-line really hasnt played that bad all season long. Look at some of the plays yesterday that Brady had all day to throw and couldnt find anyone to throw too. We need to add another WR

I can see your reasoning with thinking about bringing in TO but you couldnt have Moss and TO on the same team, that would be a disaster. Some possibilities that come to mind that would be good fits here are Malcolm Floyd and Antonio Bryant

time to build through the draft like branch and givens and like the giants and green bay and colts have done. forget FA receivers IMO.

time to build through the draft like branch and givens and like the giants and green bay and colts have done. forget FA receivers IMO.

I would be disappointed if the Pats used one of their top picks on a WR. Defense is what we need to use the draft to improve on. It isnt like we are looking for a #1 WR, then I could see us drafting a WR. We just are looking for a #2/3 WR and signing a solid FA would fulfill that need as well as being less of a risk

Dez Bryant, Oklahoma St. Jr.

Golden Tate, Notre Dame Jr.

Brandon LaFell, LSU

Damian Williams, USC, Jr.

Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati

Arrelious Benn, Illinois, Jr.

Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech, Jr.

Jeremy Williams, Tulane

Jordan Shipley, Texas

Danario Alexander, Missouri

Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas

Antonio Brown, Central Michigan

Marcus Easley, UConn

Mike Williams, Syracuse

14 wide receivers in a very talented draft class.

Decker from MN would be the guy.
DW Toys

Is there any possible way the Pats can draft an offensive co-ordinator?

I am serious about this:
Mike Leach
The winningest football coach in Texas Tech school history, Leach compiled an 84-43 record and led the Red Raiders to a bowl in each of his 10 seasons. His best season came in 2008, when he was named Big 12 Coach of the Year after leading the Red Raiders to an 11-2 record. Texas Tech upset top-ranked Texas, the biggest win in school history, propelling the Red Raiders as high as No. 2 in the national polls

We know he won't take any crap from slackers.
What an offense!
Morris and Welker should be able to talk about him
DW Toys

I hope they do this too but typically it takes a year or 2 for a WR to become effective. Long term solution, I would love the Pats to use a 2nd and a later round pick like they did with Branch/Givens in '02. But for this upcoming season they need a stopgap in case Welker can't go or hopefully they can land a younger guy through FA that's another solution. Also Tate may need another year to develop, if he is one of the answers. Either way, WR shouldn't be a major panic but it does need attention.

I am serious about this:
Mike Leach
The winningest football coach in Texas Tech school history, Leach compiled an 84-43 record and led the Red Raiders to a bowl in each of his 10 seasons. His best season came in 2008, when he was named Big 12 Coach of the Year after leading the Red Raiders to an 11-2 record. Texas Tech upset top-ranked Texas, the biggest win in school history, propelling the Red Raiders as high as No. 2 in the national polls

We know he won't take any crap from slackers.
What an offense!
Morris and Welker should be able to talk about him
DW Toys

Mike Leach hasnt done anything in the NFL. The Big 12 is a lot different than the NFL. There is no way BB brings in someone to run the offense that hasnt proven himself in the NFL.

I don't understand any of this.

1) WR should be a major panic. As of now, we have Moss and Edelman. Both have been injured, so you might consider playing with one of them on the sidelines injured. The team certainly needs to be able to deal with one injury at wide receiver.

2) The draft is not the answer. As you say, it usually take a year for a youngster to develop. We need serious free agent help at this position.

3) We need to consider 2010 AND the future. For 2010, we shouldn't be counting on Welker, Tate, or anyone we draft. If we draft a WR, it would be so that he might produce in 2011 or beyond. I am not opposed to this but would rather use the draft to upgrade the lines.

I hope they do this too but typically it takes a year or 2 for a WR to become effective. Long term solution, I would love the Pats to use a 2nd and a later round pick like they did with Branch/Givens in '02. But for this upcoming season they need a stopgap in case Welker can't go or hopefully they can land a younger guy through FA that's another solution. Also Tate may need another year to develop, if he is one of the answers. Either way, WR shouldn't be a major panic but it does need attention.

I don't understand any of this.

1) WR should be a major panic. As of now, we have Moss and Edelman. Both have been injured, so you might consider playing with one of them on the sidelines injured. The team certainly needs to be able to deal with one injury at wide receiver.

2) The draft is not the answer. As you say, it usually take a year for a youngster to develop. We need serious free agent help at this position.

3) We need to consider 2010 AND the future. For 2010, we shouldn't be counting on Welker, Tate, or anyone we draft. If we draft a WR, it would be so that he might produce in 2011 or beyond. I am not opposed to this but would rather use the draft to upgrade the lines.

I said draft as the longterm solution. For this year I said we need to sign 1 guy, 2 if Welker is not ready for the start of the season. I don't think we need to run out and sign a Vincent Jackson or Miles Austin, the superstar route isn't the answer for this team. Get a set of targets that can grow in the system like Branch/Givens. In 2011 I'd love to see Welker, Tate, Edelman and a draftee or 2 from this year as regular contributers. If there's a good value out in FA that works as well. But I'd rather the team focus its priorities on DE,LB,interior OL before we throw many at a WR.

I said draft as the longterm solution. For this year I said we need to sign 1 guy, 2 if Welker is not ready for the start of the season. I don't think we need to run out and sign a Vincent Jackson or Miles Austin, the superstar route isn't the answer for this team. Get a set of targets that can grow in the system like Branch/Givens. In 2011 I'd love to see Welker, Tate, Edelman and a draftee or 2 from this year as regular contributers. If there's a good value out in FA that works as well. But I'd rather the team focus its priorities on DE,LB,interior OL before we throw many at a WR.

Thinking 2010 wise the Pats are going to need a receiver that can contribute right away. Welker is pretty much a guarantee to not be ready for the first week. So our WRs are Moss, Edelman, Aiken, Stanback and Slater. We need a quality number 3 receiver to step right in and be the #3 WR. IMO you are not going to get that from a WR in the draft, there are very few rookie WRs that make an immediate impact, and that is what the Pats need. The best option for the Pats in regards to a WR is through FA

Thinking 2010 wise the Pats are going to need a receiver that can contribute right away. Welker is pretty much a guarantee to not be ready for the first week. So our WRs are Moss, Edelman, Aiken, Stanback and Slater. We need a quality number 3 receiver to step right in and be the #3 WR. IMO you are not going to get that from a WR in the draft, there are very few rookie WRs that make an immediate impact, and that is what the Pats need. The best option for the Pats in regards to a WR is through FA

I said in my post that we need to sign a guy, 2 if Welker isn't ready.

Welker isn't healthy.

So, do understand that this mean that we need to fill 2 roster spots with free agents, and that, in addtion, you would want two draft picks used for this need? You do understand that we have only FIVE draft picks in the first five rounds and that if we use two fro WR's, we would be very limited. in filling other roster needs?

I said in my post that we need to sign a guy, 2 if Welker isn't ready.

Can we get Branch back?

Welker isn't healthy.

So, do understand that this mean that we need to fill 2 roster spots with free agents, and that, in addtion, you would want two draft picks used for this need? You do understand that we have only FIVE draft picks in the first five rounds and that if we use two fro WR's, we would be very limited. in filling other roster needs?

I see 3 other clear needs right now: interior OL, DE, LB. Even assuming we don't address any of these in FA and that Pryor, Crable, McKenzie aren't the answer at said positions, there's still 3 day one picks to address each if you use 1 on a WR. But I'm sure there will be plenty activity through FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back