PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2010 wide receivers to start the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or the 7th

We have enough youngsters with Edelman and Standback.

We need to bring in veteran speedsters to compete for the position opposite Moss, keeping the winner as the #2 receiver and a second as our #4.

I'm more comfortable with Mayo and Guyton out there than I am with Sam Aiken and Isaiah Stanback. That being said, I did write middle round guys for WR, and I certainly want a couple DE/OLB in the top four picks, so we're covered.

The way to avoid bombing out on WRs in the first and second round is to draft them in the 4th or 5th round, LOL.

Or the 7th

We have enough youngsters with Edelman and Standback.

We need to bring in veteran speedsters to compete for the position opposite Moss, keeping the winner as the #2 receiver and a second as our #4.

You see, that's exactly what I don't want. I don't want the next Stallworth or Galloway or, honestly, Jabar Gaffney. We need to do better, and the only way to get there is through the draft.

Why an aversion to drafting WRs?

i would prefer drafting good WR like the giants did with our 4 2nd round picks instead of FA. Look at the core WR group of the packers.Everone is drafted and one of the best groups in the league.

We should get at least 1 receiver in the draft. I hear it's very receiver heavy this year and stocked with talent.

My thoughts on the WRs.

This is dependent on how bad Wes and Brandon's injuries are.

#1 - Moss
#2 - Edelman
#3 - Draftee or traded-for guy
#4 - Aiken
#5 - Slater

To open a season, we can do worse than that for 6 weeks. It's one step up from where we were Sunday. And we'll have a healthier Brady who will have learnt to play without Wes through the off-season.

After week 6,
Moss, Welker, Drafted guy/Tate, Edelman, Drafted guy/Tate, Aiken, Slater.

We can afford to carry 7 Receivers as they are all key to the team in different ways.

The injury was serious enough to put the kid on IR with plenty of time left in the season.

That doesn't mean anything. A strained MCL (hardly a career ender) could require a 4-6 week recovery. Do you save a roster spot for a WR that would be looking for his first career reception during the team's playoff run?

The Bills would love to trade him for a draft pick.

And I would love to trade for him. He's relatively young, fast, and can put up numbers when he has a competent QB slinging him the rock (errr so to speak).

That doesn't mean anything. A strained MCL (hardly a career ender) could require a 4-6 week recovery. Do you save a roster spot for a WR that would be looking for his first career reception during the team's playoff run?

1.) I'm not making any claim about the injury, other than there apparently was an issue. Now, question me about his returning at all last season, and we'll have a different discussion.

2.) Of course it means something. What it means is subject to interpretation, because the team doesn't give out the information to the public. My point to the poster was that it's useless to complain about people speculating (believe me, I've tried to get people to stop doing so) when that's all the team allows people to do because of their decisions regarding the release of information.

Last edited:
I don't know why people want another deep threat to take the heat off Moss. We don't have enough time to go deep against good defenses. Maybe like once or twice a game. People blitz us to death because it doesn't give Brady enough time to let Moss get downfield.

I think we need a big, physical WR who isn't afraid to work the middle. Moss is what he is, he's not going to go over the middle and take the big hit like a Welker would.

Welker and Edelman are both great in the slot, but you someone who can line up opposite Moss and work the middle of the field in the intermediate passing game, and occasionally go deep. That's what I expected Chad Jackson to be, and that's what I expected Tate to be, but unfortunately for us both were/are hurt.

Aiken is a good ST but not a threat at WR. Stanback, who knows but I doubt he becomes anything good. Slater is not even close to an option, strictly a STer who sometimes can't even do what is asked of him on special teams.

Screw you, you blind, ass-kissing, homer POS.

How was that worth reading, douchebag?

LOL. I must say captain stone you are overly critical of the Pats and base a lot of your "opinions" off of 20/20 hindsight, but you are definitely give me a good laugh every once in a while.

I cracked up after I read that. Good way to lighten up my day after the tough loss yesterday

Glad to be of service, though perhaps I was too hasty, and upset, to reply in such an explicit manner. What's also a shame is there there is no poster with whom I disagree all of the time; I am always willing to read everyone's thoughts in a given thread. The blunt manner in which I write offends some more than others, but football is a blunt, and emotional, game; It should therefore come as little surprise that some posts, and posters, appear similarly blunt & emotional.

Before the season began, many were talking about how the Colts needed another veteran WR and that was before they lost Gonzalez. They they had play the season with 2 young players Collie and Garcon for the season and Manning had the 2nd best season of his career.

Edleman can be the Pats Collie, but who is there Garcon.

Dez Bryant, Oklahoma St. Jr.

Golden Tate, Notre Dame Jr.

Brandon LaFell, LSU

Damian Williams, USC, Jr.

Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati

Arrelious Benn, Illinois, Jr.

Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech, Jr.

Jeremy Williams, Tulane

Jordan Shipley, Texas

Danario Alexander, Missouri

Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas

Antonio Brown, Central Michigan

Marcus Easley, UConn

Mike Williams, Syracuse

14 wide receivers in a very talented draft class.

Dez Bryant, Oklahoma St. Jr.

Golden Tate, Notre Dame Jr.

Brandon LaFell, LSU

Damian Williams, USC, Jr.

Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati

Arrelious Benn, Illinois, Jr.

Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech, Jr.

Jeremy Williams, Tulane

Jordan Shipley, Texas

Danario Alexander, Missouri

Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas

Antonio Brown, Central Michigan

Marcus Easley, UConn

Mike Williams, Syracuse

14 wide receivers in a very talented draft class.

But who will be available when the Patriots make their first pick? Given the team's recent draft trade proclivities, that pick should come about midway through the 3rd round. ;)

PUP question since Welker will most likely be on that start training camp, when is the last date he must be activated from that and put on the 53 man roster during the season? Or be put on season ending IR.

Call me crazy but I'd take TO on this team in a heartbeat. Sign him to a one year prove it deal (year is likely uncapped anyhow) and draft a WR with one of the 2nds (use the 1st if there is a good value available). I know people question his attitude but the guy earned my respect when he made a miraculous recovery to play in SB39 against us (and he played quite well). So in 2010 you have:

Moss
TO
Edelman
Draft pick
FA journeyman

with Welker and Tate recovering from injuries and possibly contributing later. This gives the draft pick and Tate one more year to develop in the system, then we come back in 2011 with

Welker
Tate
Draft pick
2011 acquisitions

Drafting will be key though we need at least 2 guy in the next 2 years to be similar to Deion Branch/David Givens production to go with Welker once Moss is gone (only 1 if Tate is the real deal). No need to do anything drastic, in 2002 we got 2 starter quality WR's without spending a 1st rounder on a WR.

Call me crazy but I'd take TO on this team in a heartbeat. Sign him to a one year prove it deal (year is likely uncapped anyhow) and draft a WR with one of the 2nds (use the 1st if there is a good value available). I know people question his attitude but the guy earned my respect when he made a miraculous recovery to play in SB39 against us (and he played quite well). So in 2010 you have:

Moss
TO
Edelman
Draft pick
FA journeyman

with Welker and Tate recovering from injuries and possibly contributing later. This gives the draft pick and Tate one more year to develop in the system, then we come back in 2011 with

Welker
Tate
Draft pick
2011 acquisitions

Drafting will be key though we need at least 2 guy in the next 2 years to be similar to Deion Branch/David Givens production to go with Welker once Moss is gone (only 1 if Tate is the real deal). No need to do anything drastic, in 2002 we got 2 starter quality WR's without spending a 1st rounder on a WR.

I can see your reasoning with thinking about bringing in TO but you couldnt have Moss and TO on the same team, that would be a disaster. Some possibilities that come to mind that would be good fits here are Malcolm Floyd and Antonio Bryant

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes