PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2010 Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2010 Draft Prospects.

Vince Oghobaase.

I'll repeat it, Vince Oghobaase.

One more time for posterity - Vince Oghobaase.

Im going to give a few names on my watch list for some possible positions of need (IMO)in the future...

OLB/DE
1) Sergio Kindle OLB/DE Texas-A True LB with DE experience. Good Pass Rusher with Upside.(My Binky for 2010:D...no homo)
2) George Selvie DE/OLB South Florida-Most likely will be the number 1 pass rusher to come out next year. Not sure about his coverage skills if any.
3) Greg Hardy DE/OLB Mississippi-Good Pass Rusher but like Selvie im not sure if he can play in space.
4) Jerry Hughes DE/OLB TCU-Reminds me of Larry English, Undersized (6'2 248) but he is a pass rushing terror.
5) Sean Weatherspoon OLB/DE Mizzou-I am not sure he can play as a 3-4 outside linebacker but he is a very good all around talent.

ILB
1) Brandon Spikes ILB Florida-Leader of the UF defense, very good in coverage for an ILB and a big hitter and sheds blocks quickly, everything you want in an ILB.
2) Rolando McClain ILB Alabama- Much of the same that goes for Spikes goes for McClain.
3) Joe Pawelek ILB Baylor-A straight tackling machine

TE
1) Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma-One of the best Pass catching TE to come out in awhile. Perfect Red zone threat at 6-6 250lbs.

RB
1) Jonathan Dweyer RB GT-Every Down Back who can pound the football but he has the speed to take it to the house.
2) CJ Spiller RB Clemson-A top flight Home Run threat we lack in the backfield.
3) LeGarrette Blount RB Oregon-Every Down back that will wear teams out but long speed is questionable.
Many Many more to come from this crop, deepest in years IMO...

I dont get a chance to watch many Pac10 games so Id appreciate it if anybody who does can give us some prospects to look out for this year.

Im going to give a few names on my watch list for some possible positions of need (IMO)in the future...

OLB/DE
1) Sergio Kindle OLB/DE Texas-A True LB with DE experience. Good Pass Rusher with Upside.(My Binky for 2010:D...no homo)
2) George Selvie DE/OLB South Florida-Most likely will be the number 1 pass rusher to come out next year. Not sure about his coverage skills if any.
3) Greg Hardy DE/OLB Mississippi-Good Pass Rusher but like Selvie im not sure if he can play in space.
4) Jerry Hughes DE/OLB TCU-Reminds me of Larry English, Undersized (6'2 248) but he is a pass rushing terror.
5) Sean Weatherspoon OLB/DE Mizzou-I am not sure he can play as a 3-4 outside linebacker but he is a very good all around talent.

ILB
1) Brandon Spikes ILB Florida-Leader of the UF defense, very good in coverage for an ILB and a big hitter and sheds blocks quickly, everything you want in an ILB.
2) Rolando McClain ILB Alabama- Much of the same that goes for Spikes goes for McClain.
3) Joe Pawelek ILB Baylor-A straight tackling machine

TE
1) Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma-One of the best Pass catching TE to come out in awhile. Perfect Red zone threat at 6-6 250lbs.

RB
1) Jonathan Dweyer RB GT-Every Down Back who can pound the football but he has the speed to take it to the house.
2) CJ Spiller RB Clemson-A top flight Home Run threat we lack in the backfield.
3) LeGarrette Blount RB Oregon-Every Down back that will wear teams out but long speed is questionable.
Many Many more to come from this crop, deepest in years IMO...

I dont get a chance to watch many Pac10 games so Id appreciate it if anybody who does can give us some prospects to look out for this year.

Jonathan Dwyer reminds me a bit of Fred Taylor - a 6'1" 230 lb. guy with unreal speed and agility for his size who can take it all the way. I have a feeling he'll be a better prospect than Moreno was.

I don't think Hughes really fits our style, but he's a nice player. Brandon Lang from Troy might be added to the OLB list.

A lot of 3-4 DE prospects - Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh, Marvin Austin, Arthur Jones, Leonard Marsh, Vince Oghobasse, among others.

Jonathan Dwyer reminds me a bit of Fred Taylor - a 6'1" 230 lb. guy with unreal speed and agility for his size who can take it all the way. I have a feeling he'll be a better prospect than Moreno was.

I don't think Hughes really fits our style, but he's a nice player. Brandon Lang from Troy might be added to the OLB list.

A lot of 3-4 DE prospects - Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh, Marvin Austin, Arthur Jones, Leonard Marsh, Vince Oghobasse, among others.

I know a lot of things can happen between now and next april but I wish we would have pushed our 1st this year into a 1st and third next year. :ugh:
I am happy we have three seconds next year tho:) 2010's draft is soooo much deeper than this years draft IMO

Here's Todd McShay's 2010 mock from ESPNinsider (seniors only):

QBs Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy are high in Todd McShay's early 2010 mock draft - ESPN

9 of his top 10 picks are from the Big 12! 4 from Oklahoma (Sam Bradford QB 1, Trent Williams OT 4, Jermaine Gresham TE 5 and Gerald McCoy DT 7), 3 from Texas (Colt McCoy QB 6, Adam Ulatowski OL 9, and Sergio Kindle DE/LB 10) with one each from Nebraska (Ndamukong Suh DT 2) and Oklahoma St. (Russell Okung OT 3). Only Taylor Mays at #7 cracks the top 10 from outside the Big 12.

Other notable picks:

11 - Ciron Black, OT, LSU
17 - Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
22 - Marshawn Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati
24 - Brandon Lang, DE/OLB, Troy
26 - Eric Norwood, DE/LB, South Carolina
29 - Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College
30 - Terrance Cody, DT, Alabama
31 - Greg Hardy, DE/LB, Mississippi

At #32 he has the Patriots taking ILB Micah Johnson from Kentucky.

Even with no juniors in his drat he has Spikes, Lang, Norward, Herzlich, Cody and Hardy all within range of the Pats at 32.

I haven't looked deeply into the 2010 prospects yet because the rankings are going to complete change depending on what they do in 2009. And that alters again post-combine, pro day, allstar/bowl games, etc.

But right now I'm interested in Brandon Spikes or Greg Hardy as Pats prospects. The Pats also have the ammo to move up if they like one of those kids.

New 2010 mock from Walterfootball.com:

WalterFootball.com: 2010 NFL Mock Draft

As VCJpatriot notes, things will change, but as of right now, best case scenario:

1. Sergio Kindle, OLB 6'4" 255#
2a. Jonathan Dwyer, RB 6' 228# (possibly requiring a trade up)
2b. Adam Ulatowski, OT 6'8" 310#
2c. Leonard Marsh, DE, Florida 6'5" 305#

That would be awfully nice. Dwyer could be a young Fred Taylor to complement (or replace) LoMo. Kindle is one of the most complete 3-4 OLB candidates to come around in a while. Ulatowski has nice feet for a 6'8", is a former TE with positional versatility. And Marsh has terrific athleticism and he developing nicely.

Alternatives: Mark Herzlich LB, Brandon Spikes ILB, Rolando McClain ILB, Ndamukong Suh DE, Sam Young OT, Eric Norwood DE/ILB, Marshawn Gilyard WR, Brandon Lang DE/OLB, Arthur Jones DE, Vince Oghobasse DE

New 2010 mock from Walterfootball.com:

As VCJpatriot notes, things will change, but as of right now, best case scenario:

1. Sergio Kindle, OLB 6'4" 255#
2a. Jonathan Dwyer, RB 6' 228# (possibly requiring a trade up)
2b. Adam Ulatowski, OT 6'8" 310#
2c. Leonard Marsh, DE, Florida 6'5" 305#

That would be awfully nice. Dwyer could be a young Fred Taylor to complement (or replace) LoMo. Kindle is one of the most complete 3-4 OLB candidates to come around in a while. Ulatowski has nice feet for a 6'8", is a former TE with positional versatility. And Marsh has terrific athleticism and he developing nicely.

Alternatives: Mark Herzlich LB, Brandon Spikes ILB, Rolando McClain ILB, Ndamukong Suh DE, Sam Young OT, Eric Norwood DE/ILB, Marshawn Gilyard WR, Brandon Lang DE/OLB, Arthur Jones DE, Vince Oghobasse DE

Dont Tase Me Bro...:D Im going to take a picture of this!

Here's a 2010 mock from Pete Schrager at Foxsports:

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL Draft - Let's get our 2010 mock draft on

He has the Pats taking Cal RB Jahvid Best at 32, with a nice comment: " After the Patriots get their revenge on the Giants from Super Bowl XLII and knock off New York in Miami, the Patriots enter the off-season with a look toward the future. They go with Best, the do-everything junior back out of Cal who may just steal the Heisman from Tebow, Bradford, and McCoy in '09." Beautiful scenario. He also Sergio Kindle going 24 - within trade-up range. None of my other current favorites for the Pats day 1 (RB Jonathan Dwyer, DE Leonard Marsh, OT Adam Ulatowski) are in his 1st round.

Here's a 2010 mock from Pete Schrager at Foxsports:

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL Draft - Let's get our 2010 mock draft on

He has the Pats taking Cal RB Jahvid Best at 32, with a nice comment: " After the Patriots get their revenge on the Giants from Super Bowl XLII and knock off New York in Miami, the Patriots enter the off-season with a look toward the future. They go with Best, the do-everything junior back out of Cal who may just steal the Heisman from Tebow, Bradford, and McCoy in '09." Beautiful scenario. He also Sergio Kindle going 24 - within trade-up range. None of my other current favorites for the Pats day 1 (RB Jonathan Dwyer, DE Leonard Marsh, OT Adam Ulatowski) are in his 1st round.

Yeah, but he also has this bit of FAIL:

4. Kansas City Chiefs — Tim Tebow, QB, Florida, Senior: The Matt Cassel era doesn't last long in K.C., as the Chiefs opt to not re-sign the high-priced gunslinger. Cassel goes into the free-agent pool, leaving a void at the quarterback position. Everyone knows the Kraft/Belichick/Pioli/Meyer connection, and Pioli jumps at the chance to add Tebow to his squad.

Yeah, but he also has this bit of FAIL:

Oh well, you can't win them all.

Actually, if Tebow falls to the 2nd round, with 3 second round picks I think he has Pats written all over him. The Pats were clearly interested in Pat White, and BB has been open in his admiration for Tebow and his belief that Tebow in the right system could revolutionize NFL offenses.

The Tim Tebow experiment is inevitable in the NFL - Tim Layden - SI.com

Not saying anything pro or con, just that I could see it happening, especially with 3 picks in the 2nd round.

CJ Spiller has been my favorite player for the last few years and i would love to see the Pats add that type of home run threat to their backfield and return game. He hasn't put up the stats he is capable of putting up due to a horrendous o-line at Clemson. Now with James Davis gone, Spiller will have the spotlight all to himself to showcase what he can do.

I also wouldn't mind adding Brandon Spikes. I'd love to have a combo of him and Mayo in the middle for the next 5 to 10 years.

CJ Spiller has been my favorite player for the last few years and i would love to see the Pats add that type of home run threat to their backfield and return game. He hasn't put up the stats he is capable of putting up due to a horrendous o-line at Clemson. Now with James Davis gone, Spiller will have the spotlight all to himself to showcase what he can do.

I also wouldn't mind adding Brandon Spikes. I'd love to have a combo of him and Mayo in the middle for the next 5 to 10 years.

I love Spikes. He and Ndamukong Suh were my 2 leading candidates for #23 if they had come out this year. I think both will be out of reach, but you never know.

I've never been on the CJ Spiller bandwagon, but time will tell.

Here's one of the first 2 round mocks for 2010, from Walterfootball.com:

For the Pats:

32. Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma.
41. Arthur Jones, DE/DT, Syracuse.
55. Eric Norwood, DE/LB, South Carolina. At 6' 270# I don't see Norwood playing OLB for us, but I think he could be a dynamite SILB.
64. Jordan Shipley, WR, Texas.

Other players of note:

21. Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech.
22. Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas.
27. Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida.
38. Marvin Austin, DT/DE, North Carolina.
40. Greg Hardy, DE/OLB, Mississippi.
42. Adam Ulatowski, OT, Texas.
50. Vince Oghobasse, DE/DT, Duke.
56. Marshawn Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati.
63. Brandon Lang, DE/OLB, Troy.

I like his picks for the Pats, but I like the following even more:

27. Brandon Spikes, ILB. Trade up from 32 using our 3rd round pick to get the perfect SILB complement to Mayo.
41. Adam Ulatowski, OT. 6'8" athletic former TE who has played tackle and guard. Would be a nice bookend complement to 6'8" Sebastian Vollmer as our future starting OT's.
56. Brandon Lang, OLB, Troy. 6'4" 245# athletic guy in the DeMarcus Ware mold.
64. Leonard Marsh, DE, Florida. 6'5" 305# junior with tremendous athleticism and upside.

I would really love to see us get one of Spikes, Sergio Kindle or Jonathan Dwyer in the 1st at this point, depending on need. I think all 3 will be monsters.

Wes Bunting from NFP has posted his top 60 for 2010, in three 20 player installments:

The National Football Post | NFP Top 20 Prospects
The National Football Post | NFP Prospects 2010: Part II
The National Football Post | NFP Prospects 2010: Part III

Players of particular interest:

7. Ndamukong Suh, DE/DT, Nebraska. 6'4" 305#. Would be a phenomenal 3-4 DE.
10. Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida.
17. Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama.
18. Brian Bulaga, OT, Iowa. My #1 LT prospec for 2010.
19. Greg Hardy, DE/OLB, Mississippi. 6'5" 265# pass rusher. Not sure if he can play 3-4 OLB.
20. Everson Griffith, DE/OLB, USC.
23. Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech. Big, physical back with breakaway speed.
29. Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas. 6'4" 255# player with 4.5 speed and great pass rush and pursuit ability.
34. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida. BB has professed admiration for Tebow and is intrigued with how to use him.
36. Antonio Coleman, DE/OLB, Auburn. Somewhat short at 6'2".
42. Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU. Somewhat short at 6'2".
43. Eric Norwood, DE/LB, South Carolina. 6' 265# spark plug who can rush the passer, play the pass, and has a nose for the ball. I'd love him at SILB.
44. Brandon Lang, DE/OLB, Troy. 6'4" 245# pass rusher from Troy.
45. Adam Ulatowski, OT, Texas. 6'8" 310#, former TE with good feet who can play inside or out.
48. Vince Oghobasse, DE/DT, Duke. 6'6" 310#.
51. Greg Romeus, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh. 6'5" 265#. Not sure if he is a pure 4-3 DE or if he could play the elephant.
58. Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan. 6'2", 270#, strong against both run and pass. May have the athleticism to play OLB, though he's a bit on the short side for the Pats.
60. Lawrence Marsh, DE/DT, Florida. This kid has the physical ability to be another Richard Seymour, and may jump up boards ifhe has a strong season.

I expect that you will spend yet another entire year lusting after Suh and Spikes. They will likely be top 10 picks and we won't have the will to trade a 1st and two seconds for either one of them.

Wes Bunting from NFP has posted his top 60 for 2010, in three 20 player installments:

19. Greg Hardy, DE/OLB, Mississippi. 6'5" 265# pass rusher. Not sure if he can play 3-4 OLB.
29. Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas. 6'4" 255# player with 4.5 speed and great pass rush and pursuit ability.
34. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida. BB has professed admiration for Tebow and is intrigued with how to use him.
43. Eric Norwood, DE/LB, South Carolina. 6' 265# spark plug who can rush the passer, play the pass, and has a nose for the ball. I'd love him at SILB.
45. Adam Ulatowski, OT, Texas. 6'8" 310#, former TE with good feet who can play inside or out.
51. Greg Romeus, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh. 6'5" 265#. Not sure if he is a pure 4-3 DE or if he could play the elephant.
58. Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan. 6'2", 270#, strong against both run and pass. May have the athleticism to play OLB, though he's a bit on the short side for the Pats.
60. Lawrence Marsh, DE/DT, Florida. This kid has the physical ability to be another Richard Seymour, and may jump up boards ifhe has a strong season.

I expect that you will spend yet another entire year lusting after Suh and Spikes. They will likely be top 10 picks and we won't have the will to trade a 1st and two seconds for either one of them.

I'm not lusting after Suh and Spikes now. Or even Sergio Kindle for that matter. They're all good players who I think would be great for the Pats, and who probably will all go earlier than we will have an opportunity to get them. There are going to be a lot of good players available next year, and we'll get several of them - probably not whatever ones I end up lusting after. There are so many good one's that a bunch will slip to the 2nd round where we have 3 picks. For example, on Bunting's list I like the 43-45 players (Eric Norwood, Brandon Lang, and Adam Ulatowski) plus Leonard Marsh at 60. I like Marsh at 60 almost as much as Suh at 7, and Norwood at 43 for SILB as much as Spikes at 10.

I just think it's worth keeping loose track of who different people project. Here's a new mock out from NE Patriots Draft:

2010 NFL Mock Draft ~ NE Patriots Draft

They have the Pats taking Rolando McClain at ILB at #32, which would be great value, and certainly better than trading up to #10 where they have Spikes going. They have Sergio Kindle going #18 (to San Diego), Greg Hardy at #20, Mark Herzlich at #25, and Jonathan Dwyer at 30. Players not in their first round include DE's Leonard Marsh and Arthur Jones; DE/LBs Eric Norwood and Brandon Lang; OT Adam Ulatowski; and RBs CJ Spiller and Jahvid Best. No matter how you cut it good players will fall to the 2nd round. I'd be psyched with McClain at 32 and Marsh/Davis at DE, Ulatowski at OT, and Lang at OLB in the 2nd, or possibly a trade up to 30 to get Jonathan Dwyer.

For the record, I wouldn't advocate any trade into the top 10. The most I could see the Pats trading up would be from 32 to the early 20's, using a 3rd round pick or something of that nature, if BB coveted a specific player.

Here's part IV from Bunting, with prospects ranked 61-80:

The National Football Post | NFP Prospects 2010: Part IV

Some of these guys will end up in the 1st round next year. Of particular interest:

62. Joe Haden, CB, Florida. I don't see us going CB next year, but Haden could easily end up in the 1st round come April.
67. Sam Young, OT, Notre Dame.
71. Eric Decker, WR, Minnestoa. 6'2" 215# WR who runs terrific routes and has nice hands, but lacks elite speed.
78. LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon. 6'2" 238# bruiser.
79. Arthur Jones, DE/DT, Syracuse. One of the best 3-4 DE prospects out there.

Here's part IV from Bunting, with prospects ranked 61-80:

Some of these guys will end up in the 1st round next year. Of particular interest:

62. Joe Haden, CB, Florida. I don't see us going CB next year, but Haden could easily end up in the 1st round come April.
67. Sam Young, OT, Notre Dame.
71. Eric Decker, WR, Minnestoa. 6'2" 215# WR who runs terrific routes and has nice hands, but lacks elite speed.
78. LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon. 6'2" 238# bruiser.
79. Arthur Jones, DE/DT, Syracuse. One of the best 3-4 DE prospects out there.

I've watched Blount, the RB from Oregon this past year, and he would be fantastic on the Pats. He reminds me of Brandon Jacobs but with more speed and quickness. He's absolutely an adventure for any defender to tackle. Maybe possible??????????

I've watched Blount, the RB from Oregon this past year, and he would be fantastic on the Pats. He reminds me of Brandon Jacobs but with more speed and quickness. He's absolutely an adventure for any defender to tackle. Maybe possible??????????

I like Jonathan Dwyer the best of all draft eligible RBs, but I think Blount would be awfully nice on the Pats as well.

Here's NFP's early rundown on the senior RBs for this year:

The National Football Post | NFP Senior Running Back Breakdown

Bunting rates Blount, CJ Spiller and Chris Brown as the top 3. His take on Blount: "Blount is a massive, physically imposing back who runs with good power and toughness between the tackles. He isn’t afraid of contact and does a nice job on short-yardage situations, making himself small and driving for the tough yards. He finished the 2008 season with 17 touchdowns and should see an increase in carries as the Oregon lead back in 2009. Blount isn’t just a power back, though. He possesses good balance, footwork and body control at the line of scrimmage and is shifty enough to make a man miss and attack the second level. He has as much potential and talent as any senior in this group, and if he can keep his nose clean, I think he has a chance to go in the first round. However, he showed up to spring practice out of shape this past year and was suspended during the offseason for 'failure to fulfill team obligations.' Either way, this guy is a big-time talent with big-time size and power who can definitely help enhance a team’s running game as an every-down back."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back