PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 Tri-Nations Tournament

Ciara's Dad

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Tomorrow, the New Zealand All Blacks take on the Australian Wallabies in the first game of the Tri-Nation rugby series.
The 3 best rugby nations in the world play against each other on a home and away basis.
Although I'm not the biggest rugby fan, this 9 game series makes for fantastic viewing. National pride is at stake and a lot more. Although the South African Springboks are the World Cup winners, whoever wins this series will be seen as the best team in the World.

1st August 09, Durban, SA

Springboks 31-19 All Blacks
South Africa's Morne Steyn scored all the points for the Boks in Durban today.
A fantastic display from him.
At this stage in the tournament, the AB's are looking very poor. Their line-outs are terrible. SA have a great chance to show their dominance against the Wallabies next week, again to be played in SA.
BBC SPORT | Rugby Union | South Africa 31-19 New Zealand

8th August 09, Cape Town, SA

Springboks 29-17 Wallabies

BBC SPORT | Rugby Union | South Africa 29-17 Australia
It was a lot easier for the Boks than the scorline suggests. They were really up for it and they gave the crowd in the Newlands Stadium an imperious display. Morne Steyn again weighed in with kicked penalties and a drop goal, but the best moment came when big Victor Matfield scored a try! A fantastic moment for the big fella.
For the Aussies, next week they are at home in Perth to the Springboks, and will have to do a lot better if they want to beat this team.

22nd August 2009, Sydney, Australia

Australia 18-19 New Zealand
A great game that went down to the wire. I thought the Wallabies deserved to win, but all credit to the All Blacks who scored the only try in the game.
I don't think I've ever seen so many players covered in blood before without any fighting! No quarter asked for, or given. As it should be. :D

BBC SPORT | Rugby Union | Australia 18-19 New Zealand

29th Aug 2009, Perth, Australia

Australia 25-32 South Africa

The Springboks confirmed their position as the top nation in the World with this 4th consecutive win on the road against the Wallabies. Everyone was waiting for them to fall flat on their faces in their first away game. It did not happen. They blew away the Wallabies in a first half blitz.
The Aussies came back a bit in the 2nd, but the Boks deserved this win.
BBC SPORT | Rugby Union | Australia 25-32 South Africa

5th Sep '09 Brisbane, Australia

Wallabies 21-6 Springboks

The super Aussies snap a 6 game losing streak with a fantastic win against the World Champs. Sheer determination not to lose this one was written all over the Wallaby faces throughout this match after the way they fell apart last week. The Boks looked tired when the match was still in the balance at the 3/4 mark of the game. They had no more gears to move up.
The reaction of the Aussie crowd at the end showed how much this meant to them. Great game.
BBC SPORT | Rugby Union | Australia 21-6 South Africa

12th September '09, Hamilton, New Zealand

All Blacks 29-32 Springboks

The Springboks win in NZ and lift the Tri-Nations trophy as a result.
Another enthralling game between these two fierce rivals.
The South Africans deserve their World Champions status with this very polished and professional performance. The result was never in doubt imho, even though the AB's put in a storming finish.

I wonder if Francois Steyn would like to work in the NFL. He kicked 3 pens from 60yds yesterday. One of them had another 10yds on it.
YouTube - Francois Steyn 59m Place Kick

12th September '09, Hamilton, New Zealand

All Blacks 29-32 Springboks

The Springboks win in NZ and lift the Tri-Nations trophy as a result.
Another enthralling game between these two fierce rivals.
The South Africans deserve their World Champions status with this very polished and professional performance. The result was never in doubt imho, even though the AB's put in a storming finish.

I wonder if Francois Steyn would like to work in the NFL. He kicked 3 pens from 60yds yesterday. One of them had another 10yds on it.
YouTube - Francois Steyn 59m Place Kick

I think the ABs need to stop playing so much "basketball" and get back to basics. Their line-out was a joke in the first half and Nonu, in particular, had a nightmare.

Credit to the Boks, though. As an Englishman, I have no love of them, but they are a great team- the best in the world without doubt. They do the "fundamentals" very well, steal possession, defend ferociously, kick extremely well as you said and finish well. Their lineout is a thing of wonder. One steal (I think it was Botha) had me gasping. He crossed the gap so quickly and tapped back to Du Preez as if it was his own throw!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back