PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 Senior Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
By all reports Unger looked absolutely terrible the first 2 days of the Senior Bowl. He reportedly looked somewhat better yesterday. Luigs has apparently been quite forgettable, not standing out at all.

By all reports Unger looked absolutely terrible the first 2 days of the Senior Bowl. He reportedly looked somewhat better yesterday. Luigs has apparently been quite forgettable, not standing out at all.
Not "all" reports. Unger was getting more love after his Day Two practice.

Clay Matthews getting some love. I'm starting to think that if the Pats don't upgrade the OLB position via FA, then Matthews might be a better value later in the draft than Cushing in round 1.

The National Football Post | Senior Bowl Tuesday Recap

"Cushing has been a five-star recruit since he arrived at USC, but it’s Matthews, who entered the season as a back-up, who might be the better overall prospect. I scouted USC three times this year (against Penn State, Ohio State and Oregon State), and each game I graded out Matthews as a better prospect."

"Matthews displays better body control and footwork in space as well as better overall technique and hand placement as a pass rusher. Matthews consistently is able to shed more blocks and has really done well for himself this week."

Sheds blocks? Check. Less hyped and likely available with a later round pick? Check. Impressed scouts during the course of the year and at the Senior bowl? Check. Matthews might be a better value than Cushing at this point in time.

Last edited:
Clay Matthews getting some love. I'm starting to think that if the Pats don't upgrade the OLB position via FA, then Matthews might be a better value later in the draft than Cushing in round 1.

The National Football Post | Senior Bowl Tuesday Recap

"Cushing has been a five-star recruit since he arrived at USC, but it’s Matthews, who entered the season as a back-up, who might be the better overall prospect. I scouted USC three times this year (against Penn State, Ohio State and Oregon State), and each game I graded out Matthews as a better prospect."

"Matthews displays better body control and footwork in space as well as better overall technique and hand placement as a pass rusher. Matthews consistently is able to shed more blocks and has really done well for himself this week."

Sheds blocks? Check. Less hyped and likely available with a later round pick? Check. Impressed scouts during the course of the year and at the Senior bowl? Check. Matthews might be a better value than Cushing at this point in time.

I would agree. I think Matthews could be an ILB here, which would be quite a legacy. One thing to caution on though is that he's a quick riser. He was considered late day 2/UDFA a couple of months ago. That isn't necessarily bad, since mock drafters don't know sh!t, but it does bring up some questions. Me, I love the kid, but not as the first-day pick I'm starting to see in mock drafts these days.

Clint Sintim

Yes, some good stuff (as usual) from NFLDS's Rob Rang. This note about Clint Sintim:

Coming from Virginia, one of the few collegiate teams that runs the 3-4 defense, Clint Sintim has struggled a bit in acclimating to the traditional 4-3 scheme the Cincinnati coaching staff employs. He's a bit stiff in space, struggling at times changing directions laterally in coverage or when breaking down to make the tackle. But the burst upfield, hand technique as a pass-rusher and explosive closing speed are all there for him to rank as one of the top 3-4 rush linebackers in the draft.
---

The Cincinnati 4-3 ought to be considered when reading the many Senior Bowl reports. Some of these prospects find the all-star setting alone to be difficult. Now add to the mix, exposure to a different coaching philosophy...and their performance may be less than it would be in a more tailored environment.

Interesting that Rang feels Sintim is one of the top 3-4 rush LBs. Fact is, Sintim can play all of the LB positions, making his versatility (and skills), valuable to a team like the Pats. IMO, and others, he's a legitimate #23 candidate.

I would agree. I think Matthews could be an ILB here, which would be quite a legacy. One thing to caution on though is that he's a quick riser. He was considered late day 2/UDFA a couple of months ago. That isn't necessarily bad, since mock drafters don't know sh!t, but it does bring up some questions. Me, I love the kid, but not as the first-day pick I'm starting to see in mock drafts these days.

I'd have no problem with him in round two (the earliest), as BB took a chance on another late riser named Bethel. Mayock is saying Matthews will go top 40.

I think Matthews is a real good football player w/ 3-4 experience, and excellent on ST as well. The bloodlines may be an influencing factor w/ Belichick.

Re: Clint Sintim

Yes, some good stuff (as usual) from NFLDS's Rob Rang. This note about Clint Sintim:

---

The Cincinnati 4-3 ought to be considered when reading the many Senior Bowl reports. Some of these prospects find the all-star setting alone to be difficult. Now add to the mix, exposure to a different coaching philosophy...and their performance may be less than it would be in a more tailored environment.

Interesting that Rang feels Sintim is one of the top 3-4 rush LBs. Fact is, Sintim can play all of the LB positions, making his versatility (and skills), valuable to a team like the Pats. IMO, and others, he's a legitimate #23 candidate.
party-smiley-565.gif

hotel4dogs.jpg

RealGM Football: Encroachment -
[North]

Cincinnati DE Connor Barwin is being used at TE, which he played before 2008, and he really looked good. He sealed the edge nicely on run plays and showed good hands and burst. It will be interesting to see how NFL teams would use him, as he proved he’s quite a pass rusher last season.

Biggest loser of the morning: Raji’s BC linemate Ron Brace. He was the last guy out on the field for practice, and was the only guy I saw hit the oxygen machine, which he sucked on after almost every set. He jumped offsides 3 or 4 times and was consistently driven back by even the lesser offensive linemen.

Buzz Up

Illinois T Xavier Fulton, Michigan DE Tim Jamison, South Florida LB Tyrone McKenzie, Iowa DL Mitch King, Oregon State CB Keenan Lewis, Virginia TE John Phillips

Buzz Down

Utah K Louis Sakoda (clearly flummoxed by the cold wind), North Carolina WR Brooks Foster, Cincinnati G Trevor Canfield (plays way too high), Oregon RB Jeremiah Johnson, Western Michigan S Louis Delmas--who made some very nice plays but also some serious coverage problems
-----
[South]

Southern Miss TE Shawn Nelson stood out Tuesday. Best hands of any TE here, and he impressed with his ability to turn and run after the catch. He also locked up Brian Cushing during pass rush/protect drills, putting Cushing on the ground 2 out of 3 times.

Buzz Up

West Virginia QB Pat White--showing he has the arm strength and touch needed, Tennessee RB Arian Foster, Liberty RB Rashad Jennings, Tennessee DE Robert Ayers, Ole Miss LB Ashlee Palmer

Buzz Down

Clemson QB Cullen Harper and Alabama QB John Parker Wilson, both of whom struggled with the wind and displayed inconsistent mechanics, Tulane T Troy Kropog, LSU G Herman Johnson, Maryland LB Moise Fokou, Clemson RB James Davis

From the “Overheard” file

The Ray Lewis-to-Dallas talk is drawing more snickers than affirmation. As one rival GM opined, “They can have my oldest, most expensive player too.”

At the end of North practice, someone loudly espoused to no one in particular, “What a sh***y year to need a quarterback!” That drew more acknowledging nods and smiles than anything all week.

Buzz Up:

Max Unger, C, Oregon; B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College; Alex Mack, C, California; Coye Franceis, CB, San Jose State; Sherrod Martin, CB, Troy; Macho Harris, CB, Virginia Tech, trying hard, but unsuccessfully, to go by Victor; Kraig Ubrik, G, Wisconsin; Robiskie, see above; Cedric Peerman, RB, Virginia

Buzz Down:

Loadholt, see above; Pat White, QB, West Virginia, who almost certainly will have to change positions; James Davis, RB, Clemson; Brandon Gibson, WR, Washington State; Joaquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma. Really every wide recevier on the North except Robiskie failed to impress. Both Iglesias and Cal Poly big man Ramses Barden showed great hands, but neither showed any sort of quickness or route polish. When jammed in press coverage by Macho Harris, Barden wound up four yards behind the line of scrimmage on one play.

North Team

Star of the morning: This is not a broken record, but Boston College DT B.J. Raji is the unquestioned Crown Jewel of Mobile. His explosive power and quick feet are superior to that of last year’s star DT Sedrick Ellis. Raji weighs nearly 25 pounds heavier but appears just as fast and certainly quicker to disengage from blockers. He is playing his way into the Top 5 overall of the draft.
This one is a really interesting read gang.

Instead of shallow quick-hit observations on the South, I'll instead focus on my conversations with the NFL personnel.

Some Highlights:

Several prominent seniors are not here in Mobile. For some (Aaron Curry, Malcolm Jenkins), it's not really a big deal as they have shown enough and satisfactorily answered all the questions. But there are two players that definitely hurt themselves by not working out here: Georgia Tech DE Michael Johnson and Ohio State LB James Laurinaitis.

I've talked to quite a few people about Johnson, and the perception that he's a one-dimensional, situational pass rusher is now accepted reality in part because he failed to come here and prove otherwise. His stock appears to be plummeting.

Laurinaitis is more highly-regarded but still faces lingering questions about his athleticism and ability to navigate around blockers and through traffic. Rey Maualuga's strong performance this week makes Laurinaitis' absence more troublesome.

I don't know how you all do it,, this is where my little head explodes

Report A, Player X is great,,
Report B, Player X is a slider

arghh,,,

I'll just keep an eye on a couple of favs,,

I don't know how you all do it,, this is where my little head explodes

Report A, Player X is great,,
Report B, Player X is a slider

arghh,,,

I'll just keep an eye on a couple of favs,,
funny-pictures-this-kitten-is-confused.jpg

Lauranitis has absolutely nothing to prove. He has already shown that he excels everywhere except maybe Maualuga tackles harder. BFD. He lays the lumber, quite well thank you. If he slides, all the better for the Patriots.

I was hoping that Morestead would be an undiscovered plum to add to the Pats roster. But it appears they will have to draft him if they want him, in the late fourth or fifth....

Lauranitis has absolutely nothing to prove. He has already shown that he excels everywhere except maybe Maualuga tackles harder. BFD. He lays the lumber, quite well thank you. If he slides, all the better for the Patriots.

I was hoping that Morestead would be an undiscovered plum to add to the Pats roster. But it appears they will have to draft him if they want him, in the late fourth or fifth....
Laurinaitis fails on many levels as a NE 3-4 ILB prospect, but like Paul Poslezney (sp?) a couple years back, he'll be an excellent LB for someone running a 4-3 looking for a sideline-to-sideline scooter.

Laurinaitis fails on many levels as a NE 3-4 ILB prospect, but like Paul Poslezney (sp?) a couple years back, he'll be an excellent LB for someone running a 4-3 looking for a sideline-to-sideline scooter.

Box,

I would tend to agree, that they play similarly, but Posluzny was 6'-0" 230#. Lauranitis is 6'-3" 245#. That makes all the difference in the World. I would be delighted with a smart scooter that runs sub 4.6, and weighs 245#-250#; and has the college credentials establishing he can bring back the ILB Blitz with Tedy's credibility. And scoot sideline to sideline shutting down the run. And oh yeah, scoot with & shut down the TEs and RBs from the underside.:D:D

Last edited:
Box,

I would tend to agree, that they play similarly, but Posluzny was 6'-0" 230#. Lauranitis is 6'-3" 245#. That makes all the difference in the World. I would be delighted with a smart scooter that runs sub 4.6, and weighs 245#-250#; and has the college credentials establishing he can bring back the ILB Blitz with Tedy's credibility. And scoot sideline to sideline shutting down the run. And oh yeah, scoot with & shut down the TEs and RBs from the underside.:D:D
Laurinaitis plays sideways, not downhill, if he was there in the late second I'd take a chance, but not in the first.

I think Maualuga would fit nicely in the D with some good coaching from coaches and players. The chance to pair him up with Mayo on the insider sounds awesome, the only thing that worries me about Ray is his aggressive style and how that would translate in the Pats read n react style of D. But thats why he have BB and the coaching staff right, plus all the great mentors already on the D he could learn from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back