Welcome to PatsFans.com

2009 Senior Bowl

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Seneschal2, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Thought it would be a good idea to have one thread devoted to notes, articles, practice sessions, etc.

First up:

Official site: Official Website of the Senior Bowl

Rosters: North Roster South Roster

---

Players Arrival:

2. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

NFL Network Programming Schedule:

Code:
    [U]Monday, Jan. 19[/U]

4:00 ET – Day 1: North Team Practice (HD)
    8:00 ET – Day 1: Under Armour Senior Bowl Recap Show (HD)

[U]Tuesday, Jan. 20[/U]

10:30 ET – Day 2: North Team Practice (HD)
    5:00 ET *– Day 2: South Team Practice (HD)
    8:00 ET – Day 2: Under Armour Senior Bowl Recap Show (HD)

[U]Wednesday, Jan. 21[/U]

10:30 ET – Day 3: North Team Practice (HD)
    5:00 ET *– Day 3: South Team Practice (HD)
    8:00 ET – Day 3: Under Armour Senior Bowl Recap Show (HD)

[U]Thursday, Jan. 22[/U]

10:30 ET – Day 4: North Team Practice (HD)
    5:00 ET *– Day 4: South Team Practice (HD)
    8:00 ET – Day 4: Under Armour Senior Bowl Recap Show (HD)

[U]Saturday, Jan. 24[/U]

6:30 ET – Under Armour Senior Bowl Pregame Show (HD)
    7:00 ET – 2009 Under Armour Senior Bowl (HD)
    10:00 ET – NFL Total Access 
  3. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Duplicate Jersey Numbers

4. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No Shows

---

Disappointed that OTs Monroe and Smith aren't present. Not necessarily because the Pats may be interested in the first round OT crop, but I want to see how all of the pass rushers fair vs top OT talent.
  5. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

There was a report that scouts as the Shrine Game were grumbling about agents telling their kids to stay away from the Senior Bowl - I guess Curry and Monroe as probable top 5 picks have a legitimate concern about injury impacting their draft position. Smith has the same concern to a lesser extent as another 1st round prospect.
  6. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The injury concern is certainly understood. I'd just to see a Clint Sintim and others going up against the very best blockers -- if possible.

---

Also: Updated No Shows - via Scott Wright

Gone
    Demetrius Byrd, WR, L.S.U.
    Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
    Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
    Tyson Jackson, DE, L.S.U.
    James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio St.
    Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    Louis Murphy, WR, Florida
    Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
    Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan St.
    Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
    Jason Smith, OT, Baylor

Added
    Moise Fokou, OLB, Maryland
    Tim Jamison, DE, Michigan
    Kory Sheets, RB, Purdue
    Ryan Shuman, C, Virginia Tech
    Lawrence Sidbury, DE, Richmond
    Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona
    Mike Wallace, WR, Ole Miss

---

Also noteworthy from Scott Wright:

---

Maybe they'll move him around?.
  7. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Connor was quoted in an interview around the Orange Bowl lead up talking about how a number of scouts had told him they liked him better as a TE. Either he's been listed by someone working on outdated information or the scouts who want to see him at TE have put the arm on whomever to have him work at TE. We'll know more this afternoon when the North's practice is held.
  8. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

So as a tight end, how does Barwin stack up? I'd think that would drop him to day 2. Perhaps the scouts are telling him that his best chance to get draft is as a TE?
  9. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Player Bio: Connor Barwin :: Football

Meh. Backed up Brent Celek until 2007, but still played backup TE that year. Seemed to make much more of an impact as a pass-rushing DE in one season than as a TE in three seasons.

In either case, he's much more of a project than his projected draft status would have us believe.
  10. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

11. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Here's a link to Tony Pauline on day 1 risers and sliders. He lists Maualuga and William Moore among the day 1 sliders and agrees with NFP about BJ Raji looking dominant.

Senior Bowl practice report, Day 1 - NFL - SI.com

Darius Butler continues to impress. I could see us taking him in the 2nd round if we go CB on day 1.
  12. KevinFaulk-33

KevinFaulk-33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

13. Patdown93

Patdown93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

14. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

:rofl: Maualuga got his butt kicked in one-on-one blitz/blitz pick-up drills by TE Shawn Nelson - twice. The one was as pretty a pancake as you could like.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  15. fthft

fthft Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nelson definitely impressed me today..not only blocking but pass catching aswell.
  16. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Shawn Nelson seems already the Player we all expected Ben Watson to be. I really like this TE class is see very good dept at that position. And we won't have to use First Rounders.
  17. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  18. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

He's not on the roster. I don't know anything about him, but the next Ben Coates sounds pretty good to me. Of course, who ever heard of an elite player coming out of East Carolina. :D

BTW PatsFans2, I've followed your posts for years on KFFL and learned a lot from you. Thanks.
  19. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

From all accounts, BJ Raji continues to just dominate OLs. He may be the Sedrick Ellis of this year's Senior Bowl, vaulting into top 10 territory. Here's what Jon Cozart at gbnreport had to say about this morning's practice: "Boston College DT B.J. Raji continued to dominate. The 334-pounder is living in the backfield making interior lineman look ridiculous. The backside of this stud defensive tackle is enormous and he looks like he was born to demolish the squat rack. That strength transfers to the field as he can bull rush anyone. In individual drills he threw Oregon OL Max Unger to the ground in a move reminiscent of Reggie White in Super Bowl XXXI. However, brute strength isn’t the only impressive aspect of this mauler’s game. His pass rush repertoire is special. Raji’s first step is very quick and he gets his hips underneath him to create great leverage. He can turn the corner and make himself small to beat the man in front of him. Honestly, I have to make myself focus on other players because I could watch him all day. Raji is a top five pick in my opinion and has been by far the most impressive player on the North." The link is Great Blue North Draft Report

With all the teams switching to a 3-4 defense, if Green Bay at #9 or Denver at #12 is serious about the 3-4 they may serious consider taking Raji as their defensive centerpiece. Most important and difficult part of the 3-4 to fill.
  20. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

21. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Green Bay reportedly already has a big body for the Nose.

Mayock called out Raji (BC alum to BC alum) after Raji had an "off day" in his second practice. Mayock is trying to light a fire I guess. Raji would work well in Nolan's version of the 3-4 in Denver.
  22. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

And here i am thinking i'm a bad example...thanks i think.:attention::D
  23. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

He's got Rashad Johnson ahead of William Moore. I thought that Moore was a lock for Top 20, but now seems like he might slide out of the first round. Also, since Bill is good friends with Saban, I wouldn't be surprised if we go after Rashad. Saban has talked highly of Rashad.
  24. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Some comments from Tony Pauline of TFY on day 2:

"Trevor Canfield/OG/Cincinnati: Canfield has a reputation for being a nasty, fierce competitor and he showed why Tuesday. The former Bearcat starter was dominant at the point and handled almost everyone he faced. He's not only strong but also mean; he never let up. More than once he continued to play after the whistle, getting an extra shove in after the play had ended."

"Louis Delmas/S/Western Michigan: Delmas has been the best safety on the field and the feisty defender consistently put himself in a position to make plays on the ball all day. He throws his body around the field in an effort to stop ball handlers and delivered a number of blows that made scouts take notice. Delmas was effective in run defense and against the pass."

Tony Pauline: Senior Bowl practice report, Day 2 - NFL - SI.com

Scott Wright was also high on Delmas today: "Western Michigan S Louis Delmas really impressed me today. He played very physical and had some pop, seemed to transition well and even had one of the big hits of the day on Ramses Barden. Delmas also appeared to be one of the team leaders, barking out instructions to his defensive teammates from the deep safety spot. I heard he got beat deep a couple of times but I didn't see it.". On the other hand, he wasn't so impressed with Cliff Sintim: "Virginia OLB Clint Sintim continues to disappoint. In drills today he did not appear to have quick feet, used poor technique as a tackler and was getting blocked pretty easily by running backs. On the positive side he was able to keep up with Kory Sheets in coverage and even break up a pass."

Draft Countdown's Senior Bowl Coverage - 1/20/09 North Practice Report

Canfield reminds me a bit of Logan Mankins, especially in his demeanor - tough and nasty. We could use a bit more of that on our OL. Delmas sounds like he may be overtaking William Moore as the #1 S prospect, somewhat reminiscent of how Tyrell Johnson from Arkansas St. came on last year. I have a feeling Sintim may take a Cliff Avril-like tumble on draft day due to a lack of athleticism, but the jury is still out. I know he's BOR's binkie, but I'm not sold.
  25. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

26. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Delmas is working his way into the second round, it's unlikely he'll go first.

Remember that Sintim is making a position change, from 3-4 rush LB at Virginia to SLB in a 4-3 - patience grasshopper. I'd also caution you against putting too much weight in Wright's analysis of 3-4 LBs, I like to visit his site, but I don't put a lot of stock in his LB analysis skills. For example he and Mike Mayock have radically different perspectives on Sintim - I have greater faith in Mayock myself.

I like Canfield's nasty attitude, he's one of several I think would be more than adequate OL on the second day.
  27. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Rey Maualuga...

Found this blurb:

USC linebacker Rey Maualuga is a hot commodity

---

Wouldn't read too much into the Pats interest at this point, as an interview is just part of the overall process.
  28. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I don't think Delmas will go 1st round, but I think he could pass Moore as the first safety of the board if Moore doesn't show more than he has.

I understand that Sintim is making a position change, and I agree with you about Mayock being the draft guru whose opinion I most trust. I'm not bashing Sintim by any means, just tossing out some of the reports for people's information. I do think that there are questions about Sintim's athleticism and stiffness which need to be answered, but I'm just waiting to see more at this point.

It seems to me that there are way more than 64 players being given potential 1st day grades at this point. Players like Shawn Nelson and Mohammed Massaquoi may be playing themselves into the first day. The number of spots in each round are obviously fixed, so someone will have to drop. There will be a lot of talent in the 3rd round of this draft. On the other hand, it seems like every year we hear this, only to have some of the guys who did well at the Senior Bowl fade during the combine and pro days and drop back.
  29. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Re: Rey Maualuga...

The Pats are also known more than any other team for deception and feigning disinterest in prospects, since probably more than any other team others copy them and look at what they are doing. It seems like every year we are open about showing interest in several prospects, only to pass up on them: Channing Crowder, Cliff Avril, etc.
  30. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Ah, they clear up the Barwin-on-offense mystery:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.