PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 schedule release day thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Tonight we get a bit of a distraction from an overload of mock drafts and analysis of draft prospects as the NFL announces the 2009 schedule. I have to give the NFL props for turning this in to a primetime 'event' rather than just being a press release as in previous years. Seeing how the NFL draft has changed from something that was barely covered to its own industry, it's a smart business move by the NFL to see if they can capitalize on this anouncement.

Exclusive announcement of 2009 schedule on NFL.com, NFL Network

The NFL is also trying to drum up some interest by publishing th 2009 Strength of Schedule. The author notes that it needs to be taken with a "grain of salt" but it fulfills its intention, generating interest and debate. The reader comments are somewhat predictable; humorous at first, and headache-inducing after a while - 'our team is the best, our division is the toughest, the media doesn't give my team enough attention, the Pats are going down this year', etc., etc. In case you're curious, the Pats have the third hardest schedule based on 2008 records, behind the Dolphins and Panthers.

On a side note, Vic Carucci lists the Ten must-see games on the 2009 NFL schedule. The Pats are on three of his six top games: Pats at Colts (1st), Pats at Broncos (4th), and Bills at Pats (6th).

I think the NFL making the schedule announcements on a premium cable prime-time television show is silly. But that's marketing for you. They should just post the schedule on the league site and send it to all the media outlets so everyone can see it. I'm actually surprised it hasn't leaked out by now.

I think the NFL making the schedule announcements on a premium cable prime-time television show is silly. But that's marketing for you. They should just post the schedule on the league site and send it to all the media outlets so everyone can see it. I'm actually surprised it hasn't leaked out by now.

I agree especially since everyone can find out who each team will play and whether it will be home or away. The only thing that is revealed tonight is when the games will be played. Not enough to make me want to tune in. If the league wants to make this an event like the draft, they will have to go back to a strength of schedule approach to deterimining the next year's oponents and not announce who plays who until the show airs. Otherwise, I can tell you 14 out of 16 games the Pats will play every year for the next five years. Possibly longer.

Last edited:
Robert Kraft was just advertised to be on the NFL Network broadcast of the schedule.

Hey,

Just wondering if Tom Brady is back in Foxborough? I know Gisele is back in NYC

Did anyone else who watched the ESPN segment on the Pats schedule notice they had the Patriots playing TEN twice? Not sure which game they screwed up but just goes to show what a screwed up channel that it.

Not to mention the butt hole Joey Porter they had on. Every game will be hard for the Dolphins because the team sucks and last year was a fluke. Why do you think Parcells wants out already. He knows they have already peaked.

Did anyone else who watched the ESPN segment on the Pats schedule notice they had the Patriots playing TEN twice? Not sure which game they screwed up but just goes to show what a screwed up channel that it.

Not to mention the butt hole Joey Porter they had on. Every game will be hard for the Dolphins because the team sucks and last year was a fluke. Why do you think Parcells wants out already. He knows they have already peaked.
Yeah, I had nfl.com on the computer and espn on the tv. This may have been the first time I had espn on in about a year (with the exception of games.) I had to smile and shake my head at their comments. Actually Porter was rather restrained in comparison to his past; they were trying to get him to say something about the Pats but he wouldn't bite.

But they did indeed make some screw ups in their never-ending attempt to stir up controversy. At one point they said the Pats went out and signed Shawn Springs in response to the Bills signing Terrell Owens (wrong - the Pats signed Springs first.) They also implied that there was some bad blood between the McDaniels and BB, asking about whether or not they would shake hands, etc. Somebody jumped in and pointed out there is only one former coach that BB doesn't care for, which of course led to some feeble attempts of humor about video taping.

A year ago I would have been pissed, but tonight I just shook my head and smiled. It's as if I have gone from hating them to laughing at them in their obvious, pathetic attempts to stir the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes