Welcome to PatsFans.com

2009 Salary Cap still in effect

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DaBruinz, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

Since I have seen several threads with people complaining about the Pats not having signed Wilfork (or anyone else for that matter) to a new contract, I felt the need to remind everyone that the 2009 Salary Cap was still in effect. The Pats had used most, if not all of their salary cap money from 2009. Any contract/extension signed before the end of the season (which is after the SuperBowl) would have to fit under the 2009 Cap.

So, would people please stop complaining about the Pats not having signed their own players???
  2. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

Why would a future contract starting in 2010 season be included in the 2009 cap?
  3. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Once the first game of Week 17 was played, the 2009 cap season ended.
    I had the Patriots ending the season with about $3 million in cap space.
    which fits with the last cap space report
    Question For AdamJT13: Extension "Deadline" Coming? - KFFL Community
  4. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +428 / 5 / -1

Yeah, but correct me if I am wrong, but the Pats cannot give Wilfork a new deal officially until March 5th. It obviously wouldn't stop them negotiating a deal whenever, but the Pats have told players that no offers would be coming to players they intend to make offers to until early February.

Either way, $3 million probably wouldn't be enough to resign Wilfork anyway. I am surprised though that they didn't use that money to lock up lesser players since they can't push that money forward.
  5. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +428 / 5 / -1

BTW, it is crazy that at the end of the season, the Bucs have over $22 million in cap space and yet they are a talentless team. No wonder why the owners want to reduce the cap. A small market team like the Bucs had plenty of cap space to make sweeping improvements on their roster, but appeared to not want or couldn't afford to spend the money to do it.
  6. Miguel

Ratings:
    +176 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

It's before then. It has to be before the 11th but after the Super Bowl.
  7. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Didn't the Seahawks give Alexander a new deal in January of the year following his being tagged and then signing a 1 year can't tag me again deal in the alternative...

I don't see why a team can't extend a player under contract whose contract has not been revisited prior to the Superbowl. Although I do recall a window of opportunity for franchise tagged players to negotiate only with their present team before they can negotiate with other teams as (in a manner of speaking restricted) FA...

I think the Patriots just wanted to follow their own procedure of doing their post season evaluation prior to moving on to the next season. And they are likely hoping for additional clarification as the league turns it's attention from playing games to the end game.
  8. mgteich

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

So, the patriots left $3M on the table this year. Usually there is a late contract adjustment.
  9. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

There may also be some end of season adjustments made to that for things like pro bowl and playing time or other incentives earned late in the season which this year had to be accounted for via existing cap as they were achieved...
  10. pabst37

pabst37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The late yeare contract adjustments are to push cap room into future years - since there is no cap next year there was no need to do it and there were different rules in place this year so I don't even know if they could have done it.
  11. mgteich

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

What you are saying is that Kraft pocketed $3M because he PLANS on no 2010 cap. Obviously Kraft is influential enough to make it so.

Also, probowl bonuses are known. They usually are NLTBE and affect the 2010 cap calculations.

It seems clear that another player could have been extended using this money (with the bonus being in 2009).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  12. Va_Pats_Fan

Va_Pats_Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

How does Kraft "pocket" the money? Salary cap is strictly an accounting tool. Whether a player gets extended now, or in 2 weeks, it doesn't save Kraft a penny.
  13. Miguel

Ratings:
    +176 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Seahawks sign Shaun Alexander for $62 million
  14. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +357 / 6 / -8

#75 Jersey

After trying to patch losses from their glory days, they decide to go to a youth movement. Unless they only acquired huge salaries, they would have a lot of players whose value would grow. They obviously want to play their green players until the gain some experience, so I see no problem there. The Glazers have spent plenty for underperformers so I see it more as a strategy than cheapness, at least as it concerns them.
  15. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

Which is why the salary cap is still in play.

As for the Future contracts, they don't take affect until the end of the 2009 season.
  16. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

Actually, because next year is uncapped, I believe that all NLTBE were treated as LTBE, but hit the cap only at the time they were actually earned. It was one of the changes this year because of the uncapped season next year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.