PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 free agent targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asomugha will be FRANCHISED! and if the Patriots didn't pay Asante Samuel no way will they pay Asomugha who will command more. Let's talk about people who we can get.

2009 NFL Free Agents

This link is a tad more up to date I believe

My wish list would be.

QB: one of Carr, Garcia, Collins, ramsey, simms to back up Brady

RB: D Ward

TE: Kleinsasser

WR: B Lloyd, N Washington

OT: go after one of the Pitt OT's either Starks or Marvel Smith...they have to let one of em go. If you get one of them slide Light to RT. After those two I would give a look at Colombo or Gandy for RT.

SS: M Brown or Y Bell

CB: would love Dunta or Asomugha...but they will be tagged....a run at Buchanon might not be a bad idea though.

OLB: Farrior

ILB: please make a run at A Davis of Cleveland....backup plan B Scott or M Peterson (rotate with Bruschi).

Historically, Bill and Scott have payed big money for FAs at only one position, and have done it there multiple times. That is the only place that I could see them doing it again.

Meanwhile they have 13-14 draft picks and relatively little place on the Team to put the new comers. Unlike other years the great influx of collegiate underclassmen trying to avoid a possible rookie cap, is making the 2010 draft look pitiful already; and and the 2009 draft overflowing with talent, so trading up by deferring for a year won't get you anywhere.

If you add it up, I think there will be little incentive for the Patriots to be active in the high priced FA market, this year. :D

Last edited:
Asomugha will be FRANCHISED! and if the Patriots didn't pay Asante Samuel no way will they pay Asomugha who will command more. Let's talk about people who we can get.

Don't be certain that Asomugha will be franchised. Remember that he'll have to get either a 110% raise OR the Franchise tender number. The Raiders have a lot of money tied up and not a lot to spend.. Especially since they will have a top 10 pick to sign as well.

If Al Davis has proven anything its that he's not too bright with the numbers.

i do agree that the only place we would be spending money in the FA is at OLB. I think we are more likley to develop the cb's we have atm and maybe add 1 in the draft. If we have the amount of picks i expect us to have i think it is a good point that we will be using the draft to develop more than the FA this year.

2009 NFL Free Agents

This link is a tad more up to date I believe

My wish list would be.

QB: one of Carr, Garcia, Collins, ramsey, simms to back up Brady Maybe Ramsey, Simms, Garcia, or Rattay. Neither Carr or Collins strikes me as the kind of QBs the Patriots look for

RB: D Ward JJ Arrington, Darren Sporles, Jason Wright

TE: Kleinsasser How do you see a 32 year old Kleinsasser fitting into the Pats system? He's not nearly the blocker nor the receiver that he was. If the Pats were to sign a FA TE, I'd rather see them go after Bo Scaife or Owen Daniels or, to a lesser extent, Daniel Wilcox.

WR: B Lloyd, N Washington Neither Lloyd nor Washington are anything to write home about. I'd much rather keep Gaffney than sign either of those two. I'd much rather sign a Mike Jenkins, Antonio Bryant, Michael Clayton, or possibly Reggie Williams.

OT: go after one of the Pitt OT's either Starks or Marvel Smith...they have to let one of em go. If you get one of them slide Light to RT. After those two I would give a look at Colombo or Gandy for RT. Why do you say that the Steelers will only be able to sign one of Starks or Marvell Smith? And why do you think either one of them is an upgrade over Light?

SS: M Brown or Y Bell -I can agree with Mike Brown, but why Yeremiah Bell? The Pats have schooled him in pretty much every time they've played the Dolphins. Bel is one of the weaknesses of that team. An interesting player would be Jim Leonhard of the Ravens and Bills. He's always around the ball and is a solid tackler despite his stature.

CB: would love Dunta or Asomugha...but they will be tagged....a run at Buchanon might not be a bad idea though. Rod Bartell, Domonique Foxworth, Jabari Greer, Kelvin Hayden, Corey Webster.

OLB: Farrior

ILB: please make a run at A Davis of Cleveland....backup plan B Scott or M Peterson (rotate with Bruschi). I know a lot of people want Andra Davis, but my question is this. Can he play SILB? That is the position we need him for. That is the position the Pats need opposite Mayo.

My comments are in BLUE .

Just an FYI, that doesn't have that Greg Camarillo is no longer an RFA since he signed a 5 year contract extension.

Last edited:
i do agree that the only place we would be spending money in the FA is at OLB. I think we are more likley to develop the cb's we have atm and maybe add 1 in the draft. If we have the amount of picks i expect us to have i think it is a good point that we will be using the draft to develop more than the FA this year.

You might want to take a look at the free agents of the 21st century thread that Iron Helmet started. I listed up the 112 players (that I could find/remember) that the Patriots had signed as either UFA or UDFA. The Pats have spend money on the D-line, the LB position, and at safety. They also spent some money at CB. But most of the money was at OLB and SS.

i really believe that if we could put terrell suggs on the opposite side of Adalius Thomas, our DB's would look much better. less time for the receivers to move, they can more accurately predict the routes because theyd have to be relatively shorter. i cant imagine the ravens letting him walk but if they do, we should take advantage. hes a difference maker

yeah i am terrible at finding those sites i am just going on memory. but yeah i am not saying eclusivley olb but thats just the only place in my opinion they would spend and that is if they think vrable has had it (which is debatable because i still think he was injured) i just don't think after asante we will be spending big bucks of a 1st rounder on a cb. its more likley to be a suggs. I also think we will look for a veteran to backup once we trade cassel if brady is ready for 09. but other than that all i can see is the patriots looking inward to resignings and drafting.

I think with the draft loaded with LB and most of the underclass not official as of yet. I want a Aaron Curry type with excellent leadership skills.

I think with the draft loaded with LB and most of the underclass not official as of yet. I want a Aaron Curry type with excellent leadership skills.

Where do you see Curry fitting into the Pats scheme? Clearly not the elephant? But say Vrabel's position at OLB or do you see him as possibly taking over at the SILB position?

Where do you see Curry fitting into the Pats scheme? Clearly not the elephant? But say Vrabel's position at OLB or do you see him as possibly taking over at the SILB position?

SILB. I think he is a guy who you can build your defense around. whether or not he is available is a different story. Having him next to Mayo. He can cover as well. I am flip flopping between him and Spikes from Fla. Watched some tape on Spikes this weekend. You have Vrabel/Thomas/Guyton on the OLB.

SILB. I think he is a guy who you can build your defense around. whether or not he is available is a different story. Having him next to Mayo. He can cover as well. I am flip flopping between him and Spikes from Fla. Watched some tape on Spikes this weekend. You have Vrabel/Thomas/Guyton on the OLB.

Guyton is NOT an OLB no matter how many times they try to do it. That is why he was an UDFA. Phillip Wheeler had the MLB job, and although Guyton looked good in relief and spot duty there, they tried to move him to OLB, with his speed. Result UDFA rating. He is an ILB or nothing.

Positional wish list....

2. Shut down corner a la Nnamdi Asomugha (worth every single penny of $12 mil a year) or maybe Bryant McFadden if the Steelers tag Farrior.

Worth $12 Million???????????? No freakin way.

This is ONE guy that covers ONE side of the field on any given defensive play (1/3 of the game) and you want to give him 10.25% of the entire year's cap?

Aside from that, he had one breakout year and then what? A whole lot of praise from highly influential NFL talking heads and all of a sudden he's the second coming of Deion Sanders. No way. I'm not buying it and I hope the Patriot don't at that price.

I'd love to hear an argument for Nnamdi, OTHER than he's an upgrade to what we currently have, don't forget to include the $9mil (My OP) price tag that will accompany him.

(For the record, I like the guy and would love to see him in a Patriots Uni, just not with the kinda money that would have kept Asante around).

Guyton is NOT an OLB no matter how many times they try to do it. That is why he was an UDFA. Phillip Wheeler had the MLB job, and although Guyton looked good in relief and spot duty there, they tried to move him to OLB, with his speed. Result UDFA rating. He is an ILB or nothing.

Could you be any more wrong about Guyton? Guyton didn't play MLB for Georgia Tech, ever. He played SOLB for the 1st 3 years, where he was considered average. Then, his senior year, he was moved to WOLB. And he blossomed. Guyton's best year was as a senior when he recorded 5 sacks, 13.5 TFL, and 5 PBUs.

In fact, going into the draft, he was rated as a 4-5th rounder. NOT a UDFA like you claim. However, he slid out of the draft to be a UDFA like some players do. No one outside of the 32 teams can explain why because we don't have the information they do.

Sometimes it just happens that way.

Is Curry really that strong against the run where he could play SILB?

with all due respect. That's all he played in College. Give some time with an NFL Nutrition program. He was one of the fastest LB at the Combine. (I know combine is a meat market) He will prove u otherwise.

Worth $12 Million???????????? No freakin way.

This is ONE guy that covers ONE side of the field on any given defensive play (1/3 of the game) and you want to give him 10.25% of the entire year's cap?

Aside from that, he had one breakout year and then what? A whole lot of praise from highly influential NFL talking heads and all of a sudden he's the second coming of Deion Sanders. No way. I'm not buying it and I hope the Patriot don't at that price.

I'd love to hear an argument for Nnamdi, OTHER than he's an upgrade to what we currently have, don't forget to include the $9mil (My OP) price tag that will accompany him.

(For the record, I like the guy and would love to see him in a Patriots Uni, just not with the kinda money that would have kept Asante around).

Scottie -

I agree with NOT giving Asomugha 12 million a year. However, I think that for you to say that he's only had one break out year is doing an injustice to Asomugha. Asomugha is a damn good CB. The problem is that even the best can only cover a player for so long. Asomugha is a player that I believe teams do gameplan for.

Now, while it is YOUR OP, you are forgetting that his 1st year cap hit probably won't be 9.3 million.

Is Curry really that strong against the run where he could play SILB?

I think he is going to be the type where having Warren/Wilfork and Seymour in the front is going to benefit him. He did play OLB at Wake, but that's where I run into the challenge between him and Spikes. I tend to lean toward Spikes being an SEC Homer, but I think if available BB is going to love his leadership, his smarts and has the experience.

I think he is going to be the type where having Warren/Wilfork and Seymour in the front is going to benefit him. He did play OLB at Wake, but that's where I run into the challenge between him and Spikes. I tend to lean toward Spikes being an SEC Homer, but I think if available BB is going to love his leadership, his smarts and has the experience.

After doing more research, I have changed my tune on the SEC. In general, it produces more NFL players than any other football conference. So, going after Spikes isn't a bad idea. And considering that BB does draft out of the SEC some, there's a good chance Spikes is on the board somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes