PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 free agent targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Cassel takes the Patriots deep into the playoffs, wouldn't you rather have him than a castoff from another team?

Pats have O'Connell and if there is any hint that Brady won't be ready, they'll resign Cassel. I'd like to see them resign him now.

Resign Cassel now. later may cost them more.

Purdue has a massive ROT (6'6" and about 320 lbs.) Sean Seaster that has tons of experience blocking for the pass and can drive block better than Kazcur can.

Oregon has an OT that would be perfect for our OL in Unger. His size e is comparable to Light, 6'3" and about 305 lbs. He had a great game against USC and has a little nastiness to his game.

I think Gross is older and starting to break down some. Columbo on the other hand has a huge injury history, but has managed to stay on the field in Dallas.

I would prefer using a draft pick to signing a veteran.

Yeah, I'll probably agree with you by April. I was leaning towards FA b/c I feel RT is a position where we have a serviceable option (or two), but could use an upgrade - that, to me, probably requires either an early pick or a FA.

Kellen Winslow-TE-Browns Oct. 21 - 11:33 pm et

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Kellen Winslow was shopped by the Browns before the trade deadline.

The public dispute between Winslow and the team is just one of the factors leading to the Pro Bowl tight end being dangled. He's also seeking a new contract while the Browns selected Martin Rucker in the 2008 draft as their future tight end. Combined with James Walker's ESPN report, it leads one to believe that the Browns will make Winslow available again this offseason.
Source: NFL.com

maybe we can make a trade for KW2 in the 09 offseason

Kellen Winslow-TE-Browns Dec. 1 - 4:34 pm et

Cleveland Plain Dealer writer Terry Pluto believes that it would be a "shock" if Kellen Winslow returns to the Browns in 2009.

Winslow will probably demand a trade because he isn't going to get a contract extension. At least Cleveland should be able to get a second-round pick for him. They can roll with Martin Rucker and Steve Heiden, but still have work to do at tailback and the wideout position opposite Braylon Edwards.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

(AGAIN) we should definitely trade for this guy because ben watson is only as good as a #2 TE

Last edited:
lol? and they need a tailback? how bout a 4th and maroney for winslow?

Kellen Winslow-TE-Browns Dec. 1 - 4:34 pm et

Cleveland Plain Dealer writer Terry Pluto believes that it would be a "shock" if Kellen Winslow returns to the Browns in 2009.

Winslow will probably demand a trade because he isn't going to get a contract extension. At least Cleveland should be able to get a second-round pick for him. They can roll with Martin Rucker and Steve Heiden, but still have work to do at tailback and the wideout position opposite Braylon Edwards.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

(AGAIN) we should definitely trade for this guy because ben watson is only as good as a #2 TE

The problems, even if the Browns would be willing to trade him to the Patriots, are two-fold.

1.) He's not a blocker

2.) Cost, given that they let Graham walk rather than pay him

I've also heard nothing but negative things about his personality.

The problems, even if the Browns would be willing to trade him to the Patriots, are two-fold.

1.) He's not a blocker

2.) Cost, given that they let Graham walk rather than pay him

I've also heard nothing but negative things about his personality.
Winslow is WAY better than Graham as a receiver, I'd love to get him and draft a real LT so we wouldn't need TE to help the new LT and Light at RT as much. I also think Winslow's personality issues are driven more from wanting to win than anything else.

That said, I think we have more pressing places to spend our $$$ and draft choice resources. But I do like Winslow a LOT and think he'd flourish in a stronger environment like we have.

Winslow is WAY better than Graham as a receiver, I'd love to get him and draft a real LT so we wouldn't need TE to help the new LT and Light at RT as much. I also think Winslow's personality issues are driven more from wanting to win than anything else.

That said, I think we have more pressing places to spend our $$$ and draft choice resources. But I do like Winslow a LOT and think he'd flourish in a stronger environment like we have.

1.) Despite the hue and cry from this board, Watson is sufficient as a receiver in the offense and, if you look at the snaps breakdown that Reiss usually supplies, you'll find that Watson is on the field most of the time. The problem for this team at tight end is blocking, which is why they attempted to replace Graham with Brady.

2.) Without getting into it, I'll just say that Winslow's personality issues are because of who Winslow is, according to my sources, and they aren't just something that popped up in Cleveland.

I'm not outright opposed to getting Winslow if the team can do it, and a two tight end set with Moss/Welker/Watson/Winslow/Faulk would be a lot of fun to trot out on 3rd downs. I'd just caution the team to do its homework before making the move.

1.) Despite the hue and cry from this board, Watson is sufficient as a receiver in the offense and, if you look at the snaps breakdown that Reiss usually supplies, you'll find that Watson is on the field most of the time. The problem for this team at tight end is blocking, which is why they attempted to replace Graham with Brady.

Watson is getting better at both things, too. If we could get Winslow, it'd be bye bye to whoever is #3, and possibly Wendy's Guy.

That said, I agree that an upgrade is due at LT. And I don't think Kaczur will lose his job to Light. They've both got a solid year left and Nick Nat. position is Left Tackle. Dunno. The O-Line does need freshening up at the ends within two years, for sure. LeVoir might have already sold himself as the future at the RT position though.

The main emphasis for the Patriots has to be to sign some of

their own guys namely Evans, Hochstein, Gaffney, Paxton, J.

Sanders, and Wright.

Like last year, they have to target three or four UFA defensive backs.

I hope they open their wallet this year and target someone who

will be an improvement over this year's crop of defensive backs.

Like last year, they have to target three or four UFA defensive backs. I hope they open their wallet this year and target someone who will be an improvement over this year's crop of defensive backs.

I wonder if this list is up-to-date? I assume it's close because the site mentions Cassel's back-to-back 400 yarders.

2009 NFL Free Agents: DB

Any names jump out at you guys (besides Nnamdi)?

Suggs is still my boy, only 26 but a multiple pro-bowl talent.

If Suggs is signed LB is now longer a concern but CB sure is...

OLB - Thomas, Suggs, Vrabel, Woods, Redd
ILB - Mayo, Guyton, Bruschi, Alexander, Izzo

-
-Chris Gamble - CB - we let Asante go because he was too much money. Gamble won't demand THAT much and would tighten our pass defense up.

He just signed a deal worth $53 million over six years, including $23 million in guaranteed money.

I would like to see Suggs in NE but I highly doubt we get him. He might get franchised again this season. If he becomes a free agent, I would expect him to get a huge deal like Freeney did.

I like our inside guys guyton and mayo and I don't think we know what we have in young OLB ie crayton. I do think we need secondary help bad, and I would draft a corner higher than a safety plus we just spent a high pick on merriweather. I like Hobbs alot but he is just not a shutdown guy. The other place we could address would be the right side of the OLine imagine having 4 probowlers in front of TB.

I wonder if this list is up-to-date? I assume it's close because the site mentions Cassel's back-to-back 400 yarders.

2009 NFL Free Agents: DB

Any names jump out at you guys (besides Nnamdi)?

Dunta Robinson, Bryant McFadden, Jabari Greer and Kelvin Hayden. Not really exciting but it's better than what the Pats currently have. SS's I like are Jermaine Phillips and Sean Jones.

Suggs will be franchised again. It's too bad they have Joe Flacco because the Pats might have been able to swing a Cassel Suggs trade.

Last edited:
we arent getting suggs, i dont think we can afford him. i think we are going to have to build through the draft. getting a first or second for Cassel would be amazing, but who knows how thats going to play out at this point

Phillip Buchanon, he should be good, seeing how he plays for the bucs defense.

charles woodson of green bay how long is he locked up anyway to sign and trade??

Resign Cassel now. later may cost them more.

Why would Cassel sign that deal. He has all of the leverage in negotiations right now and he and his agent both know that. He might not get the 'money' from the Pats, but he will get it from someone.

I know it's not glamorous but I'd love to see a big fat TE signed for blocking purposes. Our OL is built to float out for screens but has problems when we need to overpower people. Is there anyone cheap who'd play the elephant role?

The other position is safety where I'd love to see a Rodney style bruiser. Any candidates? Any value left in Brian Dawkins (though he seems happy in Philly)? Any chance of stealing Dawan Landry from the Ravens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back