PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 Combine News & Notes (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rubbing shoulders with Belichick (Road to the NFL draft)
Briskly walking down a flight of stairs next to my Combine work station, trailed closely by Floyd Reese, who just recently went to work for the Pats, the Patriots' head coach whisked by me as he worked his way to the Lucas Oil exit. Wearing a ratty red sweatshirt, he made me feel like a GQ cover boy in comparison, which is really saying something. Clearly, he was focused elsewhere, but Belichick sightings at the Combine are rare, so it seemed like a quick blog entry was in order.

Andre Smith has left the combine, citing lack of an agent and lack of preparation as his reasons.

LINK

Last edited:
Where is the best spot to get the most updated times, weights, etc.?

I haven't found a concise list by position, thank you.

Where is the best spot to get the most updated times, weights, etc.?

I haven't found a concise list by position, thank you.

nfldraftscout used to be pretty good, but the new CBSSports portal sucks..

Not sure about other places

Risers and sliders on offensive line at NFL combine - NFL - SI.com
Posted: Saturday February 21, 2009
Fulton, Felix move up at combine

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com, TFYDraft.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- The offensive linemen and tight ends took the field at Lucas Oil Stadium to be timed in the 40 and to go through a battery of position drills. There were a number of players who stood out and improved their draft stock.

Risers

Xavier Fulton/OL/Illinois:
Robby Felix/C/UTEP:
Jamon Meredith/OL/South Carolina:
Jared Cook/TE/South Carolina:
William Beatty/OT/Connecticut:
Dan Gronkowski/TE/Maryland:
Lydon Murtha/OL/Nebraska:
Phil Loadholt/OT/Oklahoma:
Gerald Cadogan/OT/Penn State:

Sliders

Bear Pascoe/TE/Fresno State:
Herman Johnson/OL/LSU:
Dan Gay/OL/Baylor:
Garrett Reyonlds/OT/North Carolina:

Notes

It's been a bizarre few days for Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith...Several offensive line coaches have already suggested Smith be removed from their team's draft board and there's no doubt his draft stock is falling.

...the punters and kickers were the first athletes to workout...

Thomas Morstead of SMU...strong leg as most of his punts were measured at 50 yards or more...looked terrible as a directional punter.

David Buehler of USC had the strongest kickoff leg...problem came during the field goal portion...missed on all three...from 50 yards.

Louie Sakoda of Utah. ...connected on two of three from 50 yards and was perfect from 45 yards. ...kickoffs were another story...

NFL teams panning for gold in spread offenses - Don Banks - SI.com
If there's one common refrain I've heard again and again so far at the NFL Scouting Combine this week, it's a general lament in regards to the spread of the spread offense in the college ranks.

The proliferation of that pass-happy, receiver-heavy, shotgun-based offense is giving NFL talent evaluators fits.
-----
"It gets more difficult with the evolution of the spread offense,'' Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said. "The things they're doing in college, most of it won't transfer to the NFL.
-----
• The Michael Crabtree injury was undeniably big news on Saturday, but let's not give into the-sky-is-falling mentality when it comes to the Texas Tech receiver just yet. Needing surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left foot is a definite setback for the draft's top-rated pass-catcher, but I don't buy the notion that it'll definitely knock him out of the top 10. I'm not even convinced he'll slip out of the top five, even though he may not be able to workout for league scouts before the April 25 draft.
-----
• Saturday's other big story at the combine was that Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith went AWOL without telling anyone, leaving Indianapolis early in the morning to return to Atlanta and start training for his March 11 pro day.
-----
• There was no player I listened to during Saturday's interview session that impressed me more than Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis.
-----
• I know one team that absolutely, positively won't be exploring the idea of signing Michael Vick once he's out of prison: Seattle.
-----
• USC linebacker Rey Maualuga apparently isn't buying those comparisons to Ravens middle linebacker Ray Lewis.
-----
• So the Cowboys coaching staff is now banned from talking to the media, in order to cut down on the constant information being leaked out of Valley Ranch? How long do you figure that restriction will last? Two weeks? A month? Jerry Jones doesn't want anyone talking except for him, but in a loose-lipped culture like the one in Dallas, that's a policy destined for failed enforcement.

Most of the sites covering the combine haven't posted any measurements yet for defensive players, as far as I can tell. On nfl.com you have to look under individual players to find the measurements. Some interesting ones of note:

- BJ Raji weighed in at 6'1" 337#, up from his Senior Bowl weight. Raji had been quoted as saying that he thought his ideal playing weight was around 323#, so he may be a bit out of shape and could slip a little.
- Aaron Maybin weighed in at 6'4" 249#, definitely in 3-4 OLB territory. It will be interesting to see how he did.
- Aaron Curry weighed in at 6'2" 254#. Seems like good 3-4 SILB numbers. He essentially has the same measurements as Jasper Brinkley (see below).
- Robert Ayers measured in at 6'3" 272#.
- Connor Barwin weighed in at 6'4" 256#.
- Clint Sintim weighed in at 6'3" 256#, up somewhat from his Senior Bowl weight.
- Larry English weighed in at 6'2" 272#! That seems awfully heavy for him, well up from his Senior Bowl weight. I can't see him showing good 3-4 OLB agility at that weight.
- Darry Beckwith from LSU weighed in at 6' 242#, which is considerably over where he had been listed as playing at (around 230#).
- Cody Brown weighed in at 6'2 244#.
- James Laurinaitis weighed in at 6'2" 244#.
- Clay Matthews weighed in at 6'3" 240#.
- Rey Maualuga weighed in at 6'2" 249#, well down from his 260+ laying weight.
- Tyrone McKenzie from USF weight in at 6'2" 243#.
- Jasper Brinkley weighed in at 6'2" 256#, considerably lighter than previously listed weights.
- Paul Kruger weighed in at 6'4" 263#.
- Brian Orapko weighed in at 6'3" 263#.
- Everett Brown weighted in at 6'2" 256#. Interesting given the rumors that he had been playing around 225#.
- Lee Robinson from Alcorn State weighed in at 6'2" 249#. Good sleeper pick.
- Sammie Lee Hill from Spillman weighed in at 6'4" 329#. Another good sleeper pick.
- Jarron Gilbert weighed in at 6'5" 288#.
- Ricky Jean-Francois weighed in at 6'3" 295#.
- Tyson Jackson weighed in at 6'4" 295#.
- Peria Jerry weighed in at 6'2" 299#.
- Fili Moala weighed in at 6'4" 305#.
- Se'Derrick Marks weighed in at 6'2" 305#.
- Jarius Byrd from Oregon was only 5'10" (he had been listed as around 6') but 207#.
- Sean Smith weighed in at 6'4" 214#, even taller than previously listed. Unusual when players are often listed as taller than their actual heights (Michael Crabtree). Seems awfully tall for a CB.
- Alphonso Smith weighed in at 5'9" 193#.
- DJ Moore weighed in at 5'9" 192#.
- William Moore weighed in at 6' 221#, down about 9 lbs. Maybe he will show better agility and mobility at the lighter weight.
- Patrick Chung weighed in at 5'11" 212#.
- Louis Delmas weighed in at 5'11" 202#.
- Rashad Johnson weighed in at 5'11" 203#.
- Vontae Davis weighed in at 5'11" 203#.
- Malcolm Jenkins weighted in at 6' 204#.
- Coye Francies from San Jose St. weighed in at 6' 185#.

I found these numbers very interesting, with seveal surprises.

First, the LBs seem to be quite big, with most of the interesting ones well into the 240# range. Aaron Curry weighed in almost identically to Jasper Brinkley and heavier than Rey Maualuga. I wonder if that will affect his drills at all, and how Rey Rey will do. Darry Beckwith was heavier than Clay Matthews. Laurinaitis is a solid 244#. Lee Robinson, Tyrone McKenzie and Cory Brown all have the size to play in the Pats' system coming out of college.

Second, some of possible DE/3-4 LB conversions seem quite big. Aaron Maybin was up to 249#, Everett Brown 254#, and Larry English 272#. I have to think that English, Brian Orapko, Paul Kruger and Robert Ayers seem more like pure DE's based solely on those numbers.

Third, there seem to be more players with potential 3-4 DE measurements than I had thought. Will be very intersting to see how they perform.

Finally, Sean Smith is big. Really big. But a lot of the smaller safeties have bulked up a bit with Louis Delmas and Rashad Johnson both 202#. William Moore down to 221# will be interesting to watch. There seem like a lot more big CBs than usual out there this year. DJ Moore and Alphonso Smith had essentiallt the same measurements.

Nice to see Gilbert at 6'6" 288 lbs.

Sean Smith weighed in at 6'4" 214#, even taller than previously listed. Unusual when players are often listed as taller than their actual heights (Michael Crabtree). Seems awfully tall for a CB.

Be still my heart! *Thumpthump* Can't wait to see how he runs. I'll be keeping an eye on his 40 and shuttle times. The key words I'll be looking for are "fluid hips". That will determine whether he's a CB or a Safety prospect.

Last edited:
- Brian Orapko weighed in at 6'3" 263#.
- Everett Brown weighted in at 6'2" 256#. Interesting given the rumors that he had been playing around 225#.

Those Brown rumors were puzzling, he always looked and played like a bigger guy. Good to see that confirmed.

As for Orapko, I've never been able to picture him as an OLB. He's an amazing physical specimen, but on the hulking muscleman spectrum.

Those Brown rumors were puzzling, he always looked and played like a bigger guy. Good to see that confirmed.

As for Orapko, I've never been able to picture him as an OLB. He's an amazing physical specimen, but on the hulking muscleman spectrum.

I would agree. I'm always a bit leery of the hulking musclemen, as I was with Gholston last year. I think that those attributes don't mean very much when it comes to playing 3-4 OLB. I'm much more interested in seeing how Brown and Maybin do than in Orapko.

Mayo, your comments are interesting stuff -- thanks for the legwork. I echo your thoughts and find quite a few surprises.

Exploring the NFL.com site and searching for my favorite Pats prospects, here's four from my list:

ILB candidates:

Beckwith, Darry 6'0" 242 Can't change his height -- but what a player.
Robinson, Lee 6'2" 249 Sleeper, some here like.

Safety candidates:
Chung, Patrick, 5'11" 212 My favorite 'intangibles' player
Johnson, Rashad, 5'11" 203 May really fit the Pats D -- according to Saban. Glad he's over 200.

Alphonso Smith weighed in at 5'9" 193
Did you read his press conference? Wow.

Larry English weighed in at 6'2" 272#! That seems awfully heavy for him, well up from his Senior Bowl weight. I can't see him showing good 3-4 OLB agility at that weight.
He may have confirmed any doubts.

William Moore weighed in at 6' 221#, down about 9 lbs. Maybe he will show better agility and mobility at the lighter weight.
Still like him as a player, slid him down some.

Mayo, your comments are interesting stuff -- thanks for the legwork. I echo your thoughts and find quite a few surprises.

Exploring the NFL.com site and searching for my favorite Pats prospects, here's four from my list:

ILB candidates:

Beckwith, Darry 6'0" 242 Can't change his height -- but what a player.
Robinson, Lee 6'2" 249 Sleeper, some here like.

Safety candidates:
Chung, Patrick, 5'11" 212 My favorite 'intangibles' player
Johnson, Rashad, 5'11" 203 May really fit the Pats D -- according to Saban. Glad he's over 200.

Thanks for the props, especially coming from you. For me, loving defense, the combine is just starting to get interesting.

I didn't read Alphonso Smith's press conference. Do you have the link?

I'd been ignoring Beckwith as a possibility for the Pats because of his size, but will have to reconsider whether he might be a fit and look at him more closely. I agree with you about Chung. Delmas and Rashad Johnson over 200# is encouraging, though I would like to see a larger player (Moore, Chung or Sean Smith) paired with Meriweather.

With FA CBs apparently becoming more and more pricey (Jabari Greer reportedly looking for $7-8M/year) I definitely see looking CB in the draft as more of a priority than I had been. Belichick had some interesting comments at the combine about the safety position evolving to become more and more of a "hybrid" CB position than an in-the-box position. I could see spending one pick on a "pure" CB like Alphonso Smith (DJ Moore, Darius Butler, etc.) and one on a safety or "hybrid" player like Sean Smith, Delmas, Johnson, etc.

Did you read his press conference? Wow.
Oh yeh, he sold me on Curry and the little CB, and I'll take Chip Vaughn for good measure! I'd love to see Smith working against Welker and Moss...and both Heywood-Bay and Nicks are rising on my board.

Thanks for the heavy lifting on this! :rocker:

- BJ Raji weighed in at 6'1" 337#, up from his Senior Bowl weight. Raji had been quoted as saying that he thought his ideal playing weight was around 323#, so he may be a bit out of shape and could slip a little.
- Aaron Maybin weighed in at 6'4" 249#, definitely in 3-4 OLB territory. It will be interesting to see how he did.
- Aaron Curry weighed in at 6'2" 254#. Seems like good 3-4 SILB numbers. He essentially has the same measurements as Jasper Brinkley (see below). Yep, his weight is where he said it would be, let's see if he runs a 4.55 range too.
- Robert Ayers measured in at 6'3" 272#.
- Connor Barwin weighed in at 6'4" 256#. Boo-Yah!!
- Clint Sintim weighed in at 6'3" 256#, up somewhat from his Senior Bowl weight. More Boo-Yah!!
- Larry English weighed in at 6'2" 272#! That seems awfully heavy for him, well up from his Senior Bowl weight. I can't see him showing good 3-4 OLB agility at that weight. I'd say he's stating a position preference, buh-bye from my board.
- Darry Beckwith from LSU weighed in at 6' 242#, which is considerably over where he had been listed as playing at (around 230#). If he can maintain that, I'm very interested.
- Cody Brown weighed in at 6'2 244#. Boo-Yah!!
- James Laurinaitis weighed in at 6'2" 244#. As expected, but I still see him as a better 4-3 WLB.
- Clay Matthews weighed in at 6'3" 240#. He's sliding into Steeler's territory.
- Rey Maualuga weighed in at 6'2" 249#, well down from his 260+ laying weight. Yawn.
- Tyrone McKenzie from USF weight in at 6'2" 243#. As expected, an option for NE.
- Jasper Brinkley weighed in at 6'2" 256#, considerably lighter than previously listed weights. He's still slow on tape, we'll see where he goes from here.
- Paul Kruger weighed in at 6'4" 263#. As expected.
- Brian Orapko weighed in at 6'3" 263#. As expected.
- Everett Brown weighted in at 6'2" 256#. Interesting given the rumors that he had been playing around 225#. I'll agree with others that he never looked that light.
- Lee Robinson from Alcorn State weighed in at 6'2" 249#. Good sleeper pick. 24 reps @225 was nice too.
- Sammie Lee Hill from Spillman weighed in at 6'4" 329#. Another good sleeper pick. Let's see how he moves tomorrow.
- Jarron Gilbert weighed in at 6'5" 288#. Boo-Yah!!
- Ricky Jean-Francois weighed in at 6'3" 295#.
- Tyson Jackson weighed in at 6'4" 295#.
- Peria Jerry weighed in at 6'2" 299#.
- Fili Moala weighed in at 6'4" 305#.
- Se'Derrick Marks weighed in at 6'2" 305#.
- Jarius Byrd from Oregon was only 5'10" (he had been listed as around 6') but 207#. I want to see him move, but I like him more for FS than Sean Smith.
- Sean Smith weighed in at 6'4" 214#, even taller than previously listed. Unusual when players are often listed as taller than their actual heights (Michael Crabtree). Seems awfully tall for a CB. 4-3 OLB
- Alphonso Smith weighed in at 5'9" 193#. Boo-Yah!!
- DJ Moore weighed in at 5'9" 192#. Boo-Yah!!
- William Moore weighed in at 6' 221#, down about 9 lbs. Maybe he will show better agility and mobility at the lighter weight. I wish that mobility had shown up on tape...
- Patrick Chung weighed in at 5'11" 212#. Boo-Yah!!
- Louis Delmas weighed in at 5'11" 202#. Boo-Yah!!
- Rashad Johnson weighed in at 5'11" 203#.
- Vontae Davis weighed in at 5'11" 203#.
- Malcolm Jenkins weighted in at 6' 204#.
- Coye Francies from San Jose St. weighed in at 6' 185#. Interesting.

Thanks for the heavy lifting on this! :rocker:

OMG, props from Seneschal2 and BOR on one post? I've died and gone to heaven.

I forgot to mention, but Brian Cushing (not high on my list) weighed in at 6'3" and 243#.

I saw that Brian Orapko had 31 reps on the bench press, 33 for Raji, 25 for Curry, and 27 for Tyrone McKenzie, as well as the 24 reps for Lee Robinson which you mentioned.

Belichick had some interesting comments at the combine about the safety position evolving to become more and more of a "hybrid" CB position than an in-the-box position. I could see spending one pick on a "pure" CB like Alphonso Smith (DJ Moore, Darius Butler, etc.) and one on a safety or "hybrid" player like Sean Smith, Delmas, Johnson, etc.

He also talked about how it seems every team has an athletic tight end that can make catches down the field. I wonder what his plan is to stop them? It sounded like he wants faster more athletic safeties to do it. Maybe I read to much into things.

Its premature to say that English being 6'2, 270 would take him off the Pats board. That's the exact height and weight of Adalius Thomas. Let's wait to see what English runs and what kind of athleticism he shows before dismissing him. He was a basketball & track star in high school - so he might be a freak of nature like AD, and he could be a SILB fit perhaps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing