PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2008 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots37

Rookie
Reaction score
Here's how I see the offseason playing out. There really isn't much that can be done to improve this season with this years crop of FAs. The object of this offseason is to fill in small holes and GET YOUNGER on defense. The defense has gotten slower every year since the Superbowl in 2004.

The Patriots need to concentrate on adding some veterans to replace some retired or aging vets from last season. Heres who I think they should get

WR - Justin McCarreins

If the Patriots can't re-sign Gaffney I think they go after McCarreins. He's a big guy who can go over the middle. Had some good years with the Jets and Titans. With Moss and Welker on the field with him he should be even better.

WR - Sam Aiken

Sam Aiken is already signed. I think he's mostley going to be a special teamer along with Kelly Washington.

CB/S - Matt Ware

Have always liked this guy since he was drafted. Can play both FS and CB which is great because he can switch along with Merriwether. He'd be a solid starting FS or 3rd corner back.

LB - T.J Slaughter

T.J Slaughter was already signed. Should improve special teams and adds veteran value at inside Linebacker relief

LB - Boss Bailey

Fast guy whose got great hands. Should compete for starting OLB alongside Vrable or will be a value to have in a solid ration of LBs

DT - Grady Jackson

Played well in the playoffs for the Jags. He's huge and would help relieving Vince so the pats can stay in a 3-4 without tiring out Wilfork.

Draft

Trade – Patriots Trade #7, #62, and a R7 pick to the Ravens for #8, #38

The Ravens really want QB Matt Ryan and NE is considering trading out for another offer. The Ravens pull the gun and the Pats get better draft picks.

Trade – Patriots Trade #38 and a R6 pick to the Dolphins for #32

The Patriots say F You to Roger Goodale and asks Parcells to do him a solid. Parcells obliges for the extra pick and grins alongside BB.

Draft Picks
Round 1 #8 – OLB Vernon Gholston, Ohio State

Theres no value in CB's at this pick and with a need at young LBs the pats cant say no to Gholstons speed and natural ability to take over a game. The mans a freak, especially alongside Vrable Bruschi and Thomas.

Round 2 #38 – CB Aquib Talib, Kansas

In my honest opinion all the CBs in this draft are exchangable and the pats trade up to get the last top tier CB left in the draft. Should compete for the #2 or 3 job.

Round 3 #69 – OT Tony Hills, Texas

Adds depth at Tackle and possible starter

Round 3 #94 – TE Brad Cottam, Tennessee

Depth at TE

Round 4 #125 – CB Tyvonn Branch, Connecticut

Depth at CB

QB – Tom Brady, Matt Cassel, Ricky Gutierrez
RB – Lawrence Maroney, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk
FB – Heath Evans
TE – Ben Watson, Dave Thomas, Brad Cottam
WR – Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Justin McCarriens, Chad Jackson, Sam Aiken, Kelly Washington
OT – Matt Light, Nick Kaczer, Tony Hills, Ryan O’Callaghan, Wesley Britt
OG – Logan Mankins, Steven Neal, Russ Hochstein
C – Dan Koppen
Players - 25
DE – Ty Warren, Richard Seymore, Jarvis Green, Le Kevin Smith
DT – Vince Wilfork, Grady Jackson, Rashad Moore
OLB – Mike Vrable, Vernon Gholston, Boss Bailey
ILB – Adalius Thomas, Teddy Bruschi, Eric Alexander, T.J Slaughter, Larry Izzo
CB – Ellis Hobbs, William James, Aquib Talib, Tyvonn Branch, Antwann Spann
FS – Brandon Meriwether, Matt Ware
SS – Rodney Harrison, James Sanders, Willie Andrews
Players - 25
K – Steven Gostkowski
P – Second day draft pick
LS – Lonnie Paxton
Players - 3

Also I forgot to add that CB Willie Andrews should be signed. I have him on the depth chart but not in my FA signings. I think Andrews is a decent CB who played for the eagles. Could be a #2 or 3.

I was breaking it down today and I think the team is a couple of servicable veterans and an OK (not even great) draft away from having excellent starters and good depth.

Potential FA Menu (pick one from each category)
LBs - take your pick Haggans, Danny Clark, Hobson, Chillar
CBs - Dyson, Law

Draft (pick one from each category)
1a) LB - Rivers, Gholston, Harvey)
or
1b) CBs - DRC, Jenkins, Talib

Add in a another CB or Safety with rounds 2&3 and then spend the rest of the draft looking for OL competition.

The team my be slightly less talented than 2007 but should be younger and faster.

Interesting post/idea, thanks. I think McCareins BLOWS, though.

How about the offensive line? Most importantly getting rid of Matt Skating Light? He's a problem! He almost got Brady hurt in the Super Bowl.

i think we will bring in some guys to compete for the oline but overal i dont think they are that bad.
defense needs to be worked on the most.

im hoping for a a stud at # 7 who can contribute right away.

OP, nice post though I disagree with a few things. But then, that really doesn't matter too much. Regardless, you're missing Mike Wright.

I disagree with a lot here.

The draft trade makes no sense. Why are the Ravens, sitting at #8, going to view #7 as a better slot, knowing the Patriots do not want Ryan? The Pats are set at QB and the Ravens know damn well they can just wait for #8 if Ryan is there at #7.

we've all got different outlooks, but I don't see this as much more than a personal fantasy of building better value by hypothesizing trades that in real life have no real partner.

PFnV

I already said why in my post. The pats are a perfect suitor for someone to trade who wants ryan. The Ravens obviously would call the pats to see what is up with there pick. The pats bait them into thinking they are going to trade with someone else who wants Ryan and the Ravens pull the trigger and secure the pick.

OP, you get props for this line right here:

"Trade – Patriots Trade #38 and a R6 pick to the Dolphins for #32

The Patriots say F You to Roger Goodale and asks Parcells to do him a solid. Parcells obliges for the extra pick and grins alongside BB."

man would i lvoe it if that happens...only bad thing is, we are supposed to have the number 31 pick (cuz we lost the SB....bad memories resurging to surface...)

Here's how I see the offseason playing out. There really isn't much that can be done to improve this season with this years crop of FAs. The object of this offseason is to fill in small holes and GET YOUNGER on defense. The defense has gotten slower every year since the Superbowl in 2004.

The Patriots need to concentrate on adding some veterans to replace some retired or aging vets from last season. Heres who I think they should get

WR - Justin McCarreins

If the Patriots can't re-sign Gaffney I think they go after McCarreins. He's a big guy who can go over the middle. Had some good years with the Jets and Titans. With Moss and Welker on the field with him he should be even better.

WR - Sam Aiken

Sam Aiken is already signed. I think he's mostley going to be a special teamer along with Kelly Washington.

CB/S - Matt Ware

Have always liked this guy since he was drafted. Can play both FS and CB which is great because he can switch along with Merriwether. He'd be a solid starting FS or 3rd corner back.

LB - T.J Slaughter

T.J Slaughter was already signed. Should improve special teams and adds veteran value at inside Linebacker relief

LB - Boss Bailey

Fast guy whose got great hands. Should compete for starting OLB alongside Vrable or will be a value to have in a solid ration of LBs

DT - Grady Jackson

Played well in the playoffs for the Jags. He's huge and would help relieving Vince so the pats can stay in a 3-4 without tiring out Wilfork.

Draft

Trade – Patriots Trade #7, #62, and a R7 pick to the Ravens for #8, #38

The Ravens really want QB Matt Ryan and NE is considering trading out for another offer. The Ravens pull the gun and the Pats get better draft picks.

Trade – Patriots Trade #38 and a R6 pick to the Dolphins for #32

The Patriots say F You to Roger Goodale and asks Parcells to do him a solid. Parcells obliges for the extra pick and grins alongside BB.

Draft Picks
Round 1 #8 – OLB Vernon Gholston, Ohio State

Theres no value in CB's at this pick and with a need at young LBs the pats cant say no to Gholstons speed and natural ability to take over a game. The mans a freak, especially alongside Vrable Bruschi and Thomas.

Round 2 #38 – CB Aquib Talib, Kansas

In my honest opinion all the CBs in this draft are exchangable and the pats trade up to get the last top tier CB left in the draft. Should compete for the #2 or 3 job.

Round 3 #69 – OT Tony Hills, Texas

Adds depth at Tackle and possible starter

Round 3 #94 – TE Brad Cottam, Tennessee

Depth at TE

Round 4 #125 – CB Tyvonn Branch, Connecticut

Depth at CB

QB – Tom Brady, Matt Cassel, Ricky Gutierrez
RB – Lawrence Maroney, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk
FB – Heath Evans
TE – Ben Watson, Dave Thomas, Brad Cottam
WR – Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Justin McCarriens, Chad Jackson, Sam Aiken, Kelly Washington
OT – Matt Light, Nick Kaczer, Tony Hills, Ryan O’Callaghan, Wesley Britt
OG – Logan Mankins, Steven Neal, Russ Hochstein
C – Dan Koppen
Players - 25
DE – Ty Warren, Richard Seymore, Jarvis Green, Le Kevin Smith
DT – Vince Wilfork, Grady Jackson, Rashad Moore
OLB – Mike Vrable, Vernon Gholston, Boss Bailey
ILB – Adalius Thomas, Teddy Bruschi, Eric Alexander, T.J Slaughter, Larry Izzo
CB – Ellis Hobbs, William James, Aquib Talib, Tyvonn Branch, Antwann Spann
FS – Brandon Meriwether, Matt Ware
SS – Rodney Harrison, James Sanders, Willie Andrews
Players - 25
K – Steven Gostkowski
P – Second day draft pick
LS – Lonnie Paxton
Players - 3

==================================

You lost me at Sign Justin Mccareins.
I wish the Pats would, I don't know a lot about football, but Mccareins for a 2nd was one of the worst moves ever by Bradway, And Bradway made some very bad moves.

I already said why in my post. The pats are a perfect suitor for someone to trade who wants ryan. The Ravens obviously would call the pats to see what is up with there pick. The pats bait them into thinking they are going to trade with someone else who wants Ryan and the Ravens pull the trigger and secure the pick.

Rather than "bait" per se, which to me sound a bit too sinister and in the spirit of bad faith with a franchise led by Ozzie, and one which the Pats have enjoyed a solid relationship with in the past, I don't think it's all that far fetched that another team would enter the picture and be interested in drafting a QB before Baltimore takes him off the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes