PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2008 Lost Pick

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not to cry over spilt milk, but what if the Commish hadn't robbed us over the #31 pick in 2008. Who would have been the best pick?

Looking at the likely possibilities and who we might have taken, some players that come to mind include:

- Kenny Phillips, S (went #32 to the Giants). He would have made a nice complement to Meriweather. While I think Chung will turn out fine for us, having more speed at S would have helped last year, and would have allowed us to use the #34 pick in 2009 on a pass rusher (Connor Barwin, Everett Brown, Clint Sintim) or SILB (Rey Maualuga), all of whom were available.

- DeSean Jackson, WR (went #49 to the Eagles). Considered a 1st round talent by many, slipped to the 2nd round. Imagine what a WR combo of Moss, Welker and Jackson would be like.

- Quentin Groves, LB (went #52 to Jacksonville). A lot of people wanted him badly. Not sure how he'll pan out, but he certainly had nice potential.

Anyone else come to mind?

Again, I'm not crying over what's done, but some of these guys might have fit in nicely.

Kenny Phillips would have been a good choice, but with Harrison on the team, he may not of fit in right away. Brandon Flowers probably would have been the pick as the Pats took the best CB available in round 2 (Wheatly), and we could of really used him.

I don't think BB would have taken Jackson. BB passed on Jenning (GB) several times a few years ago and they are remarkably similar in style.

The loss of Groves is a huge hole in our pass rush.

I don't think BB would have taken Jackson. BB passed on Jenning (GB) several times a few years ago and they are remarkably similar in style.

The loss of Groves is a huge hole in our pass rush.

I would have liked any of the 3 guys, but I think Jackson might actually have been the best fit. I think of Jackson as being closer to Percy Harvin, of whom BB was rumored to be enamored and who reportedly was being given strong consideration at #23 before Minnesota took him at #22; but Jackson had a bit more WR experience and seems a bit more disciplined, both as a player and as a person. I would think that a 3 WR scheme of Moss, Welker and Jackson would be pretty near unstoppable, especially when combined with LoMo or Kevin Faulk as receiving options out of the backfield.

BB didn't exactly pass on Jennings; he moved up for Chad Jackson, which at the time was considered a coup. The irony is that GB took Jennings at 52 with our original 2nd round pick and he's turned in to a star. A number of people on this board were high on Jennings in 2006 and wanted him badly for the Pats.

Not to cry over spilt milk, but what if the Commish hadn't robbed us over the #31 pick in 2008. Who would have been the best pick?

Looking at the likely possibilities and who we might have taken, some players that come to mind include:

- Kenny Phillips, S (went #32 to the Giants). He would have made a nice complement to Meriweather. While I think Chung will turn out fine for us, having more speed at S would have helped last year, and would have allowed us to use the #34 pick in 2009 on a pass rusher (Connor Barwin, Everett Brown, Clint Sintim) or SILB (Rey Maualuga), all of whom were available.

- DeSean Jackson, WR (went #49 to the Eagles). Considered a 1st round talent by many, slipped to the 2nd round. Imagine what a WR combo of Moss, Welker and Jackson would be like.

- Quentin Groves, LB (went #52 to Jacksonville). A lot of people wanted him badly. Not sure how he'll pan out, but he certainly had nice potential.

Anyone else come to mind?

Again, I'm not crying over what's done, but some of these guys might have fit in nicely.

CB Brandon Flowers - I recall early in the draft process that he was a poss. consideration at #7. After the Combine & workouts, it became clear that he wasn't worthy of such a high position, and that McKelvin, DRC, Mike Jenkins & Antoine Cason had surpassed him in the CB pecking order. However at #31, Flowers would've represented exc. value at a position of need. #62 or even #78 could then have been used on OLB/DE Cliff Avril - NOT Chicken Legs Crable.

My Plan B would be Quentin Groves. #62 could then have been used on CB Terrell Thomas - NOT lil' Terry Wheatley - and #78 on an offensive player like RB Steve Slaton, or even OL Jeremy Zuttah or WR Early Doucet.

BTW, it's OK to cry over what's done; I do it all the time.

If its any consolation - and its not - we could've traded up and basically gotten any one of those guys had we wanted.

I'd still love to know how they ranked Groves or Avril, Groves especially (though Avril had a better rookie year). I had Groves, Avril & Crable in the same category, but wanted Groves way more than the others.

I also have to wonder that if they knew they may do more 4-3, if Groves would've been more in consideration.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back