PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2008 Free Agency: Worst Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TealSox

I want to dedicate this thread to all those fans that want their teams to be spend tons of money in free agency.

1. Javon Walker, Raiders, 6 yrs, $55 m, $16 g

By all accounts, the Raiders overpaid for an injured, near 30 wideout. Walker has been hurt in two of the last three season. He started 1 game in 2005 and 5 in 2007. I guess the only thing they have to hang a star of hope on is that Javon played all 16 games in 2006.

2. Tommy Kelly, Raiders,

Okay, it isn't a free agent signing - more of a re-signing, but while everyone is trying to trade their defensive tackles, the Raiders give theirs one of the highest. Add to that, Kelly was hurt last season. The ability to negotiate in that office is at a low. Rodgers just got a big contract in Cleveland so Kelly isn't all that bad, but Shaun Rodgers is more than Kelly will ever be. Meanwhile Stroud moves to the Bills, Ferguson is traded to the Dolphins, Dewayne Robertson can't be given away and there mith be more to come.

3. Gibril Wilson, Raiders,

Could had easily been the in the top 2, but the Raiders needed a free safety as badly has they need a new owner. The Purdue kid (Stuart) was getting burnt all the time, but to sign Wilson to the third highest safety contract only after one stellar season (that wasn't rewarded with any all pro accolades) is silly and dangerous when it comes to contracts in the NFL. A cheaper solution could had been found. Eugene Wilson could do what they need at a cheaper price.

4. Damien Woody, Jets, 6 yr, $31 m

I love the focus on the offensive line, but I think they would been better off getting a rookie in there. I tolerated Woody while he was in NE because he was a Patriots and a first round pick at that, but he went to DET and did nothing. Now he is getting paid to come to the Jets to do a bit of the same.

5. Assante Samuel, Eagles

No doubt a big name on a empty market, Samuel is no Clement or Champ Bailey. I guess the salary cap wasn't what it was a year or two ago either, but the Eagles have Lito Sheppard. It isn't as if Samuel has improved that defense dramatically when they already had Sheppard, but Jim Johnson is a good coach and I am sure that the front office is doing something for him.

Andre Davis?

Jerry Porter?

Justin Smith?

Michael Turner?

Derek Anderson?

That list sounds pretty much on the money. Madiu Williams is also the highest payed safety in the NFL. Shaun Rogers gets honorable mention as well for being the highest payed DT in the NFL. This is a guy who is always overweight, out of shape and plays when he wants to.

Last edited:
That list sounds pretty much on the money. Madiu Williams is also the highest payed safety in the NFL.

no hes not..6 year $33 = 5.5 average

I want to dedicate this thread to all those fans that want their teams to be spend tons of money in free agency.

1. Javon Walker, Raiders, 6 yrs, $55 m, $16 g

By all accounts, the Raiders overpaid for an injured, near 30 wideout. Walker has been hurt in two of the last three season. He started 1 game in 2005 and 5 in 2007. I guess the only thing they have to hang a star of hope on is that Javon played all 16 games in 2006.

2. Tommy Kelly, Raiders,

Okay, it isn't a free agent signing - more of a re-signing, but while everyone is trying to trade their defensive tackles, the Raiders give theirs one of the highest. Add to that, Kelly was hurt last season. The ability to negotiate in that office is at a low. Rodgers just got a big contract in Cleveland so Kelly isn't all that bad, but Shaun Rodgers is more than Kelly will ever be. Meanwhile Stroud moves to the Bills, Ferguson is traded to the Dolphins, Dewayne Robertson can't be given away and there mith be more to come.

3. Gibril Wilson, Raiders,

Could had easily been the in the top 2, but the Raiders needed a free safety as badly has they need a new owner. The Purdue kid (Stuart) was getting burnt all the time, but to sign Wilson to the third highest safety contract only after one stellar season (that wasn't rewarded with any all pro accolades) is silly and dangerous when it comes to contracts in the NFL. A cheaper solution could had been found. Eugene Wilson could do what they need at a cheaper price.

4. Damien Woody, Jets, 6 yr, $31 m

I love the focus on the offensive line, but I think they would been better off getting a rookie in there. I tolerated Woody while he was in NE because he was a Patriots and a first round pick at that, but he went to DET and did nothing. Now he is getting paid to come to the Jets to do a bit of the same.

5. Assante Samuel, Eagles

No doubt a big name on a empty market, Samuel is no Clement or Champ Bailey. I guess the salary cap wasn't what it was a year or two ago either, but the Eagles have Lito Sheppard. It isn't as if Samuel has improved that defense dramatically when they already had Sheppard, but Jim Johnson is a good coach and I am sure that the front office is doing something for him.

Andre Davis?

Jerry Porter?

Justin Smith?

Michael Turner?

Derek Anderson?

I agreed up until they said that Asante was no "Clement" (I think they mean Nate Clements). He is probably as good or a slight notch below Clements, but signed a contract that was for less than Clements. I just think they are underrating him a bit.

Damien Woody, as we know him and his issues so well.

I also think Assante is good, but not worth that much, a 4th round pick, who was coached up here and did well.... not sure how well he will do somewhere else, but he will have Brian Dawkins behind him.

Drayton Florence signed to six million per to play nickelback for the Jaguars is ridiculous.

The Jets spending 64 million in guaranteed money to Woody, Pace and Faneca = :rofl:

I disagree on Asante. Yeah, the contract was huge, but I'm also in the minority in believing he is a top 5 CB (though, like others, I wouldn't put him at the top). I've seen far more outrageous contracts for guys who aren't likely to be as productive. See Raiders, Oakland.

I don't know if Walker is the worst, but it is up there. Some other bad signings include:

Jeff Faine - 6 years, $37.5 million with $15 million guaranteed

Calvin Pace - 6 years, $42 million with $22 million guaranteed (decent enough player, but way overpaid)

Jerry Porter - 6 year, $30 million with $10 million guaranteed (not bad for an underachieving malcontent) P.S. I know he was mentioned, but this goes for my choice of the worst signing of the year because guaranteeing a dollar for this guy is too much guaranteed.

Drayton Florence - 6 years, $36 million with $12 million guaranteed. Nothing like being rewarded handsomely for getting played out of a starting role. Another average player getting paid handsomely.

I could go on. The funny thing is that I think most of the signings this year were bad. Teams paid players in the first wave of free agency elite money even if they were average players for no other apparent reason than the teams had money to play with. What is going to happen now when real studs on their teams look at these guys with far less talent who are making far more than them?

This is why when a lot of people were upset the Pats weren't doing anything, I just sat back and laughed. The Pats would have been stupid to get into the frenzy. A team like the Jets could have set themselves back for an extra 2-3 years because they have gambled on a lot of players who cost a lot of money, but have some real question marks with them. The Pats would never put themselves into that situation. Even last year, the Pats did not do any deals other than Welker and Thomas that they couldn't get out fairly easily from under if the player ended up being a bust.

I don't know if Walker is the worst, but it is up there. Some other bad signings include:

Jeff Faine - 6 years, $37.5 million with $15 million guaranteed

Calvin Pace - 6 years, $42 million with $22 million guaranteed (decent enough player, but way overpaid)

Jerry Porter - 6 year, $30 million with $10 million guaranteed (not bad for an underachieving malcontent) P.S. I know he was mentioned, but this goes for my choice of the worst signing of the year because guaranteeing a dollar for this guy is too much guaranteed.

Drayton Florence - 6 years, $36 million with $12 million guaranteed. Nothing like being rewarded handsomely for getting played out of a starting role. Another average player getting paid handsomely.

I could go on. The funny thing is that I think most of the signings this year were bad. Teams paid players in the first wave of free agency elite money even if they were average players for no other apparent reason than the teams had money to play with. What is going to happen now when real studs on their teams look at these guys with far less talent who are making far more than them?

This is why when a lot of people were upset the Pats weren't doing anything, I just sat back and laughed. The Pats would have been stupid to get into the frenzy. A team like the Jets could have set themselves back for an extra 2-3 years because they have gambled on a lot of players who cost a lot of money, but have some real question marks with them. The Pats would never put themselves into that situation. Even last year, the Pats did not do any deals other than Welker and Thomas that they couldn't get out fairly easily from under if the player ended up being a bust.

Not sure if I would call the Faine signing a bad one. He's been a very solid starting center both in Cleveland and in New Orleans.

I think the "crazy" money being paid to average players will come back to haunt those teams. Woody to the Jets is a good example. He's done *nothing* since he left that Pats but the Rat is somehow going to magically coach him up to be a top right tackle? I don't think so...

Better to use your cap money to reward your own vets than to invest in 50/50 propositions in FA.

Thank God for BB and Pioli!!

On the surface the J. Walker signing looks ludicrous. The reason is that he has a recurring knee injury, and Shanahan opined he would need microfracture surgery. But Shanahan is a vindictive man. Walker was disruptive when he got back to the team in part because he resented deferring to B. Marshall as #1 WR. Shanahan's comment may not be accurate, just a parting shot at Walker to drive down his market price. If Walker is actually healthy, and doesn't require microfracture surgery, then he is an elite receiver and has proved it as recently as '06, when he was fantastic. I'm willing to see what Walker has left before declaring him a bust, because he has great talent. But the risk Oakland is taking is huge, no denying that. But look at the risk on Fat Shaun Rogers, and Kris Jenkins, and Calvin Pace. It's amazing how teams complain about how much money they shell out to "unproven college players" at the top of the draft, and then gleefully throw bags o loot at proven turds.

Last edited:
Not sure if I would call the Faine signing a bad one. He's been a very solid starting center both in Cleveland and in New Orleans.

I think he is an average to slightly above average center who is getting elite money. I put him in the same category as Pace. He is a good pick up, but not nearly worth the money he is getting paid. It is like paying for a Mercedes and getting a Volvo. The Volvo is a very good car, but it isn't worth the money you would pay for a Mercedes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye