PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2008 Defense Needs Lost Of Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point - you guys don't need me hanging around here anymore.
Yes we do - I meant I figured out the people who were talking about, not that I knew any talks had happened.

Stick around :)

Multiple discussions have taken place in the last few days between a certain father/son-in-law combination regarding a former defensive player of the year and multiple draft picks.

"Multiple" better mean something like 2008 2 + 7 or 2008 3 + 2009 2, and damn well better not involve 2008 1. :)

"Multiple" better mean something like 2008 2 + 7 or 2008 3 + 2009 2, and damn well better not involve 2008 1. :)
Or it could be Taylor + picks for our #1. The way this draft is shaking out I wouldn't mind trading down with Taylor part of what we get.

Or it could be Taylor + picks for our #1. The way this draft is shaking out I wouldn't mind trading down with Taylor part of what we get.
Sorry but the number 7 pick overall has way too much value for even Jason Taylor. Also, Parcells has to have someone left on the Dolphins to play defense.

Only problem is there's no way to trade down in the first round if Miami's involved (unless you want to work out another three-way mess like the Donkeys, the Falcons, and the Redskins did a few years ago), and I don't see the Pats wanting to trade out of the first round entirely.

Only problem is there's no way to trade down in the first round if Miami's involved (unless you want to work out another three-way mess like the Donkeys, the Falcons, and the Redskins did a few years ago), and I don't see the Pats wanting to trade out of the first round entirely.
Additionally it doesn't really make sense for the Dolphins to be trading multiple picks. I would trade the #7 pick for Taylor and the Dolphins #2 this year and next, I think. But, again, the Dolphins probably need to accumulate picks not dump them.

I wonder what we're talking about here ? Our #2 and the Raiders' #3 ?

And what would it do to the defense ?

Keep Colvin and Vrabel outside and use Taylor to rotate and keep all three fresh ?

Save $5.8M by not bringing Colvin back and Taylor replacing him ?

Have Colvin and Taylor outside with Vrabel and Thomas inside ?

Keep Colvin and Vrabel outside and use Taylor to rotate and keep all three fresh ?

That's what I was thinking (I think). Pats (we) need someone inside.

The Pats 2007 defense was great and the 2008 version will be fine. It is still early in the offseason, I am sure BB, SP, DP and now DC are working on it. :)

Last edited:

No mystery here at all. Taylor is one of the best impact players in football. You don't rotate him -- you start him. For me, I'd pair him with Vrabel on the edges - and Thomas inside. Colvin odd man out or whatever...

Opponents have to gameplan for Taylor -- not so for a solid player like Colvin.

And anyone complaining about Taylor's age should go sit in the corner until the season ends. He's got plenty left in the tank - wants to win - and is a class act. Forget Gholston at #7 -- he wouldn't make an immediate impact anyway.

I like the proposed trade options by BelichickFan. Play with the twos and threes from '08 and '09 -- Taylor is worth it. Win now while we have Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back