PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007 vs 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
In 2007 early in the season we were dominating teams. Literally blowing them out of the water. Scoring more points in the first quarter than they scored all game long. And good teams too, like the Cowboys. Frequently being accused of running up the score. But as the season wore on the games got closer and closer. We still won. But many came down to the final seconds. We almost lost to a pathetic Ravens team but some butt head DC called a timeout that kept us in the game. We played our best games in September and our worst games in December. We started out great and declined. Every week we got worse. Our only really really bad game was the last one, the one in February.

In 2010, we've won most of our games. But early on we struggled. Games were close. We were lucky to win some of them. We did not dominate. But every game we improved. Got better. And in December we have dominated. We have literally been playing our best football in December. But I don't think we have seen the best that the Patriots can play, their most complete game. That won't come until a game in February.

Their mediocre defense has improved into a good defense and their good offense has improved into a GREAT offense. I will be surprised if the Patriots don't make the Superbowl.

In 2007 early in the season we were dominating teams. Literally blowing them out of the water. Scoring more points in the first quarter than they scored all game long. And good teams too, like the Cowboys. Frequently being accused of running up the score. But as the season wore on the games got closer and closer. We still won. But many came down to the final seconds. We almost lost to a pathetic Ravens team but some butt head DC called a timeout that kept us in the game. We played our best games in September and our worst games in December. We started out great and declined. Every week we got worse. Our only really really bad game was the last one, the one in February.

In 2010, we've won most of our games. But early on we struggled. Games were close. We were lucky to win some of them. We did not dominate. But every game we improved. Got better. And in December we have dominated. We have literally been playing our best football in December. But I don't think we have seen the best that the Patriots can play, their most complete game. That won't come until a game in February.

To be honest with you, I feel better about this team now than I ever did in 2007 about that team. Yes, they were blowing teams out of the water, but it never seemed that there was the complete "team" as I feel this team has become, and the decline throughout the year as noted in your post was noted. This team seems to be getting it all together now, which is a great time in the season to do so.

The offense put up their most yards this season in the snow against a highly touted defense on the road; the defense played a good game today and continues to improve week by week. Arrington has shown considerable progress - progress I could've never imagined out of him just a few weeks ago in coverage. Butler's back on the field, and McCourty is now in the conversation with Suh for DROY....as hard to believe as that was. I myself was very critical of that pick when it happened, but it looks like we've got a future, if not already, top 5 cornerback on our hands.

Right now, this team looks like it's having fun, and has united in a way that is conducive to wins down the road. I never thought I'd say I felt better about a team than I did when we were 18-0 going into the Super Bowl....but this team has convinced me, and won me over.

2007: First two games of December

Opponents Record: 13-10 (.565) [4-7 Ravens, 9-3 Steelers]
Outscored Opponents: 56-37

2010: First two games of December

Opponents Record: 18-5 (.720) [9-2 Jets, 9-3 Bears]
Outscored Opponents: 81-10

Overall, the Patriots in December of 2007 were still great. They scored 28.8 PPG and were giving up 17.8 PPG. As seen above though, we're on pace to beat that.

To be honest with you, I feel better about this team now than I ever did in 2007 about that team...

I love this team more than the 2007 team because we've watched them grow before our eyes...but I have never been as confident heading into the playoffs as I was in 2007. I never once thought a BB team could lose with 2 weeks to prepare for a team we'd already beaten.
No matter what this does, it will never be the 2007 team for me. I still think that was the best team in the history of the NFL.

This offense is so unpredictable. It's so interchangeable that it just can't be predicted. Defensive coordinators can't really gamer plan for it anymore.

Brady has evolved into a killing machine beyond anything the NFL has ever known. 50 tds in 07 was pretty freaking awesome but you knew where that td was going 48% of the time. Now you have no way of knowing who is getting the ball and the TD's are coming with a more clock controlling, killing you slowly approach as opposed to the quick strike offense of 07.

It's been fun to watch. :)

This offense is so unpredictable. It's so interchangeable that it just can't be predicted. Defensive coordinators can't really gamer plan for it anymore.

Brady has evolved into a killing machine beyond anything the NFL has ever known. 50 tds in 07 was pretty freaking awesome but you knew where that td was going 48% of the time. Now you have no way of knowing who is getting the ball and the TD's are coming with a more clock controlling, killing you slowly approach as opposed to the quick strike offense of 07.

It's been fun to watch. :)

Bill O'Brien deserves a lot more credit in these parts than he's been getting. I've been highly critical of him in the past, but he has done an awesome job integrating this offense this year and exploiting the many options it has available to it. I also thought the Branch play call at the end of the 2nd quarter and the nonchalant attitude about the prior play was brilliant.

I have a funny feeling that Tate is going to stretch the field in the next game or certainly before the playoffs.

Imagine how unpredictable we will become once that occurs.

2 things that favor this year's team:
-Younger and deeper on defense. Though it may not make it better overall, it could be helpful when we need a late game stop (not going to get much more into that:mad:). But in '07 we had a starting ILB tandem of Seau-Bruschi in their final full season and I can't even remeber our backups aside from Pierre Woods(Gdamnit:mad:). Secondary(especially at safety) is much deeper as well assuming Wilhite ever gets back.

- More consistent run game. I remember Maroney having 2 big games down the stretch in '07 regular season but the rest of his games were quite ineffective. The overall #'s I'm not sure if it's superior but ever since Mankins came back (aside from the game we got blown out in and didn't really have an opportunity to run the ball) we've gotten constently good production game to game. Even though Brady is carrying the offense the load doesn't seem as heavy.

And yes, playing your best ball towards the end of the season is better than playing your best in the first half.

Last edited:
You are right. In 2007 each game was a bit worse than the one before. This year has been the opposite. What a rebuilding year this has been :D

i was never ever comfortable with the 07 team and always said that if they crap their pants in a game they are screwed.

this offense is so balanced. Now when i see anything but the 2 TE set i get pissed off. that's all i want, every play. No one has a clue what they are running out of it.

I have a funny feeling that Tate is going to stretch the field in the next game or certainly before the playoffs.

Imagine how unpredictable we will become once that occurs.

Tate's catch in the fourth quarter today was nothing short of phenomonal. He just needs to be more reliable catching the ball.

Tate's catch in the fourth quarter today was nothing short of phenomonal. He just needs to be more reliable catching the ball.

Does anyone have a link to this? I missed it thanks to CBS switching to the Jets game early in the 3rd quarter.

Tate's catch was freakin' breathtaking. Hopefully, he's coming into his own as well.

Right now, this team is significantly better than the 2007 team. The 2007 team had a lot of weaknesses that was covered up by Brady and Moss playing pinball all the way down the field. The way this team has been playing the last month or so the only weakness they have is inexperience on defense and that has quickly been disapating the last few games.

Right now, this team is significantly better than the 2007 team. The 2007 team had a lot of weaknesses that was covered up by Brady and Moss playing pinball all the way down the field. The way this team has been playing the last month or so the only weakness they have is inexperience on defense and that has quickly been disapating the last few games.

:D

10 chars

man...every week it's the same dyam "10 chars" mistake...it's TEN CHAIRS,d%#*!@t!!!

(now what does ten chairs mean anyway???):confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
man...every week it's the same dyam "10 chars" mistake...it's TEN CHAIRS,d%#*!@t!!!

(now what does ten chairs mean anyway???):confused::confused::confused:

Posts are required to be at least 10 characters long. So if you just post "lol", you get a message telling you that it is too short. "10 chars" adds 7.

I'm not going to go about comparing this team to the 2007 team because, IMO, it does both squads an injustice. I will, however, say that the majority of teams that end up winning the Super Bowl begin to play their best ball in late November and into December. That's what we are doing right now. There's no reason why we shouldn't be favored to take the AFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes