PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007 is relevant to 2006 decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There are teams that do not look to the future. We are not one of them. We play one game at a time, but team management, contracts and caps are a multi-year set of decisions and projected consequences. For the patriots, this is especially true when looking at the 2006 draft which is how we will prevent 2007 and 2008 needs.

We have 24 signed for 2007 (I'm missing one) For me the 2007m signed roster puts perspectivve on current issues.
------------------------------------------------
OFFENSE

QB Brady, Cassell
We can decide on the 3rd QB from year to year, perhaps getting a vet

RB Dillon, Faulk
We're paying for Dillon to be the #1. We should bring in backups and draftees to develop a #1. In any case, we will OK with average RB corp.

TE Watson
We will very likely draft a TE on day one, and then should be fine.

OL Mankins, Kaycur, Light
This is a good start on the OL of the future, but others need to be added. I look for at least one extension or draft pick. We have many qualified backups.

WR Johnson (and he could be gone any day)
What me worry?

OFFENSE - BOTTOM LINE

For most of the offense we are in fine shape. We have the normal adds and subtracts. There are always decisions to make.

HOWEVER, no matter how we put it, no matter how much trust we have, the team as of March 15, 2006 has a very serious short-term and long-term wide receiver problems.
=======================================================
SPECIAL TEAMS
Paxton, Reed
We need to sign a kicker.
=========================================================
DEFENSE

DL Green,Wilfork,Warren,Hill,Wright
I want Seymour extended (as we all do), but there are no problems.

LB Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi, Claridge
This group needs a draftee and veteran or two and will get it.

S Harrison, Wilson, Sanders
Good to go.

CB Hobbs

DEFENSE BOTTOM LINE

In general, the defense is in fine shape. The linebackers are fine group, and will always be anchored by season vets, which is fine with me.

HOWEVER, no matter how we put it, no matter how much trust we have, the team as of March 15, 2006 has serious short-term and very serious long-term corner problems.

===================================

OVERAL BOTTOM LINE

There are many items that need to be done this offseason, and we have the money and draft pick to do what we need to do.

IMHO, the major issues for this offseason are wide receiver and corner, although some would disagree.
======================================

A good explanation...makes much sense..I agree those are two places the team needs help..I also believe LB might be somwhere to look..but WR / CB..absolutely!!!

My only serious quibble is your assertion that we are "good to go" at safety. IMO, it would be foolish to count on R. Harrison returning from major knee reconstruction.

If he comes back as a situational role play, that's a bonus. If he comes back as more than that, even more of a bonus. But, I don't think the Pats can plan based on the assumption that either of those will necessarily happen. That kind of major knee surgery is always a two-year rehab. So, even under the best of circumstances, Rodney doesn't return to full mobility until the 2007 season. He's bumping up against Father Time.

I agree that we definitely need LB help. After all we just lost McGinist and Brown. I just don't consider it much of a crisis. We have a strong core for now (with Beisel and Claridge competing for a starting spot; and with TBC in the mix as a backup). I expect us to upgrade with a vet or two and a draftee in the normal flow of transactions which should take care of this year and next.

I think the secondary and wide receiver situations are much more serious, and more out of the ordinary. Having Bethel Johnson and Hobbs as our only players of these units signed for 2007 raises a red flag for me.

Pats726 said:
A good explanation...makes much sense..I agree those are two places the team needs help..I also believe LB might be somwhere to look..but WR / CB..absolutely!!!

And I suppose our effective double draft year in 2006, will produce nothing? I think BB/SP perhaps are clearing the decks for newcomers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back