PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007 FAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last edited:
Light can be moved to guard, Davis can start and have a big impact at either left tackle or right guard... Mankins can move and so can KacZur, and with Koppen, OCallaghan and whoever I am missing, the OL can be much improved.

Yeah. That makes a WHOLE lot of sense. So they're going to bench Neal, who they just resigned to a long-term deal?

You cannot be serious.

I like Polk from SD and Shanle from NO as relatively cheap options at ILB.

My darkhorse is Patrick Chukwurah from Denver. He is 6.1 255 with good speed. He came up as a 4-3 OLB with Minnesota (I believe), but played as a nickel rush DE for the Broncos. Watching him play, he looked like he would excel as a 3-4 OLB. He would be cheap - any offer of a three year deal would land him. We'd want it to be a three year deal if we saw it as a project. I think he'd surprise.

Nate Clement will most definitely remain a Bill, but from what I'm hearing up here, London Fletcher is gone.

How is resigning a crappy CB at all "money in the bank"?

What you mean that you dont think resigning Poteat would be a guranteed signing if the Jets dont re-up him? It makes more than enough sense to a lot of other people.

1) NEM is serious. He would indeed bench Neal and move our future all-pro LG Mankins to a position that he has never played (RG), and probably isn't any good at, and start Light at LG. This would downgrade the patriots at LG and RG in order to give us an improvement at LT. I don't think the net would be positive, and I certainly don't think the value is there.

2) I agree with NEM that Davis is a major talent and would be a major upgrade at LT. Light might even get beaten out by Kaycur, which I would be fine with. Kaycur was a good LT in 2005, as a rookie.

3) There is no way it make sense for us to bid what it would take to add Davis. BTW, if this happened, Light would be competing for RT with Kaycur and O'Callahan and Kaycur would also be competing with Neal fro the RG position.

4) We do not need an OL until 2010. We might sign late pick or UDFA for the practice squad as we have often done. As of now, we have no need in the OL. They do need more experience. BTW, all ten have been effective starting for the patriots, except Mruc, who won't make the 2007 absent injuries, same as 2006.

OT: Light, Kaycur, O'Callaghan, Britt
OG: Mankins, Neal, Hochstein, Yates
C : Koppen, Mruczkowski

5) We will focus on cap money and our draft picks on upgrading the team.
I can understand NEM believing this means OL, since he has manlove for Davis, and since he doesn't think we need upgrades at WR.

just my 2 cents

Yeah. That makes a WHOLE lot of sense. So they're going to bench Neal, who they just resigned to a long-term deal?

You cannot be serious.

From Jeremy Greens chat last Friday on espn.com:

"Gina (AZ): Should the Cardinals resign Leonard Davis?

Jeremy Green: No. He is lazy. This new regime needs to clear out players like Leonard Davis. Players like Leonard Davis epitomize the problem with that franchise. "

I noticed some differences between the Red Zone list and the Miguel list.

For example, Miguel has Donnie Edwards, ILB, Chargers as a free agent, while the Red Zone does not. NFLPA.org shows his contract expiring in 2006. So I assume Miguel's is more accurate.

For example, Miguel has Donnie Edwards, ILB, Chargers as a free agent, while the Red Zone does not. NFLPA.org shows his contract expiring in 2006. So I assume Miguel's is more accurate.

Hes not but im guessing he is assuming that he is going to be a cap cut of some sort.

His contract doesn't expire this offseason, but he is an almost certain cap casualty.

His contract doesn't expire this offseason, but he is an almost certain cap casualty.

Does anyone know for certain though if Donnie will be cut? I know that the Chargers would rather shop him for a pick rather than straight out cut him.

I havent heard a definite yes or no to the cut answer either from any san diego boards.

Probably not. He said at media day this week he wasn't interested in playing in a 3-4 defense.

Hope the Jets get him, I heard something about Tully Banta-Cain becoming a Jet as well. Hes preety good.

Hope the Jets get him, I heard something about Tully Banta-Cain becoming a Jet as well. Hes preety good.

Banta-Cain and Briggs won't both become Jets.

Banta-Cain is better as a 3-4 OLB than he is a 4-3 DE.

2 cents Defensively....

Kawika Mitchell (ILB KC) is a guy Im high on. MIght be good value. He plays bigger than his size indicates and reminds me a bit of a young Bruschi. Not sure if he could bring much to a 3-4, but since we gambled on ...gag...Beisel...might see what this guy could do.

At OLB I would love Baker-Fletcher in a Pats uni.

Other than that, CB must be addressed and Nate Clements is my guy. Let Sante go and grab this guy for an upgrade and savings. Draft a CB high. Poteat for injury prone Gay seems like a fair tradeoff for nickle. T-Buck and Wilson, and Harrison and Sanders are back next year so S isn't much of an issue. We'll draft S and CB for depth and camp comp.

What do y'all think of Marcellus Wiley as a guy who knows the elephant position under Wade Phillips 3-4? Could he be a mini McGoo here?? Or is HIll going to show something, someday??

2 cents Defensively....

Kawika Mitchell (ILB KC) is a guy Im high on. MIght be good value. He plays bigger than his size indicates and reminds me a bit of a young Bruschi. Not sure if he could bring much to a 3-4, but since we gambled on ...gag...Beisel...might see what this guy could do.

He certainly has the measureables, and that defense did play lights out against the Colts.

At OLB I would love Baker-Fletcher in a Pats uni.

I don't think that would be his natural position in our defense. A small 4-3 MLB, even more so than a large MLB (Mitchell), projects inside, probably weakside.

Other than that, CB must be addressed and Nate Clements is my guy. Let Sante go and grab this guy for an upgrade and savings. Draft a CB high. Poteat for injury prone Gay seems like a fair tradeoff for nickle. T-Buck and Wilson, and Harrison and Sanders are back next year so S isn't much of an issue. We'll draft S and CB for depth and camp comp.

Gay is an ERFA. Poteat is a UFA. We've brought in Poteat only when Gay hasn't been able to go. I'm thinking we keep Gay. And why do you assume we'll be able to get Clements? Buffalo will slap him with the tag just to keep him from going intra-division. Pats'll tag Samuel rather than let him slip away, hoping they get an offer down for Nate.

T-Buck? That man hasn't played on the Pats in a long, long time. You're thinking of Hawkins. With all the safeties on the roster its 50/50 whether they add more people back there. The Pats do have a ton of draft picks though, so we'll see.

What do y'all think of Marcellus Wiley as a guy who knows the elephant position under Wade Phillips 3-4? Could he be a mini McGoo here?? Or is HIll going to show something, someday??

Hill is not a 3-4 OLB. I've never ever seen him stand up or drop into coverage. And I don't know why you'd think Wiley would be a "mini McGoo" when he is the same size, and primarily plays defensive end. And IMHO the Bills abandoned the 3-4 because players like Wiley weren't natural in it. Game over, try again?

T-Buck? That man hasn't played on the Pats in a long, long time. You're thinking of Hawkins. With all the safeties on the roster its 50/50 whether they add more people back there. The Pats do have a ton of draft picks though, so we'll see.

He is talking about Tebucky Jones.

You don't remember the Pats signed him last spring? He got hurt in the preseason and went on I.R. He is under 2007 contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back