PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007 Draft pick tally

Status
Not open for further replies.

njpatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
We are friggen LOADED with picks next year. Anyone have the count ?

R

Last edited:
Wow that is a lot of picks, don't forget the compensatory pick(s) we'll get losing some big name guys.

I'd like to see them package a couple of those this year and get another good WR or add depth at LB.

If I read AzPatsFans post right, he counts Gorin comp. Didn't Cobbs get released ?

R

Thats alot of juice to work with, the pick trades should be interesting. I wonder if we may make one more aquisition for another player and trade a high pick since we're so loaded.

Hmmm, you gotta wonder what we will be loooking at next year. Hard to say how the WR corps will pan out, and the chance that T Brown retires is huge if not certain. I know the WR class coming up next year looks pretty stong.

Ted Ginn JR would look good in a Pats uni and Branchs old number.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Gorin trade included?

The key unknown is what our comp will be for Givens and AV. Could be anywhere from a 3rd & 4th (optimistically) to a 4th and 6th (pessimistically). Ashworth is probably a comp 6th. I thought Gorin was for a 7th.

we should get 4, 6, 6, and 7 as comps.
-a 5 for gabriel
+6 gorin
+1 branch

njpatsfan said:
Ok, answering my own question with a little search action:

Here's AzPatsFan's take a month ago:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...thread.php?t=39577&highlight=draft+picks+2007

Since then, Tucker was released (no comp), We got Gabriel (5th), and now Seahawks 1st.

That makes:

1,1, 2, 3,3, 4, 5,5, 6,6 and 7,7

Wow. BB is going to be dangerous in this draft.

R
:wha:

1 NE 2007
1 Sea 2007
2 NE 2007
3 NE 2007
4 NE 2007
5 NE 2007 - Traded - Doug Gabriel
6 NE 2007
7 NE 2007
7 Cle 2007 - reportedly voided when Ross Tucker was cut by Cleveland
7 Pho 2007 - received for Brandon Gorin, may become a 6 bade on playing time.
7 Pit 2007 - reportedly voided when Patrick Cobbs was waived by Pittsburgh

Comp picks undetermined 1-3 in rounds 3-7.

As it stands, we have 7 picks with comp picks we may get as many as 10 (we had 11 this year, bundled two to get Jackson and drafted 10 players - 8 currently on roster, 1 on Practice Squad)

As a side note: using the draft value chart, the worst case scenerio (NE meets Sea in Miami) picks 31 + 32 = 1190 points (pick #12 =1200 points). BB seems to have some decent ammunition if there is someone he really wants.

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:

1 NE 2007
1 Sea 2007
2 NE 2007
3 NE 2007
4 NE 2007
6 NE 2007
7 NE 2007
7 Pho 2007 - for Brandon Gorin, may become a 6 based on playing time.

Comp picks undetermined 1-3 in rounds 3-7.

A couple of points:

- the Tucker pick was voided, but I beleive the Cobbs pick was not. That would mean that we have three 7th's.

- the comp picks for Givens and Vinatieri should be significant, something like a 3rd and a 4th. Not sure if we'll get a comp for Ashworth or not, but let's say it's a 7th.

- then you'd be talking about two 1st's, a 2nd, two 3rd's, two 4th's, a 6th, and four 7th's. That would be a huge draft.

He was already counting the comp picks in his count:

The Pats have all their own picks execpt their 5th rd (to Oakland for Gabriel)

In addition, they now have Seattle's 1st rd (Branch)
Arizona's 7th (Gorin, could escalute to a 6th rd pick, depending on productivity(whatever that means))

They might have Cleveland's 7th rd pick (Tucker) but that is iffy because Tucker did not make the team (it all depends on what the "conditions" are)

They do not recieve anything from Pittsburg for Patrick Pass because the Steelers cut him.

SO as it stand right now, the Pats have 8 draft picks 1,1,2,3,4,6,7,7

The Pats will definately get comp consideration for losing Givens, Vinateri, and Ashworth, Fauria, Davis, Chatham and Stone
However, those picks are going to be juxtaposed against our UFA signings of Caldwell and Mitchell and Seau? so I don't think that we are going to get a 3rd rd pick, maybe a extra 5th and two 7ths would seem more likely.

Box_O_Rocks said:

1 NE 2007
1 Sea 2007
2 NE 2007
3 NE 2007
4 NE 2007
6 NE 2007
7 NE 2007
7 Pho 2007 - received for Brandon Gorin, may become a 6 bade on playing time.

Voice of reason, BoxORocks. I thought those posts about our 14 picks next year were exagerrated. Some thoughts on the 2007 draft:

1) It doesn't help if next year's draft is deep at WR. That just means more of the teams ahead of us will take WRs than usual, so that when it's our turn to pick, there's the usual amount of talent available. It could mean more talent than usual available at non-WR positions, since some teams in front of us won't take the player they would have but will take a WR instead.

2) Let's all promise ourselves not to compare [2007 1st Sea pick guy] to Branch. He doesn't deserve any comparisons, and will sink or swim (hopefully like Mark Spitz) on his own merits.

3) I predict the Sea pick will be #27. Everyone mentioning #20 take a deep breath. We'll have #27 and #[30-32].

4) Let's definitely not trade the two picks for #12 overall. Too many eggs in one player's basket. Two 30-ish picks help the team more than one 11-ish.

Looking ahead, here's a pretty deep crop of Linebackers expected to be available next spring.

OLB
1. Paul Posluszny, Penn State
2. Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma
3. Dan Connor, Penn State*
4. Earl Everett, Florida
5. Xavier Adibi, Virginia Tech
6. Ali Highsmith, Louisiana State*
7. Justin Warren, Texas A&M
8. Brian Toal, Boston College
9. Prescott Burgess, Michigan
10. Keith Rivers, Southern California*
11. Tim Shaw, Penn State
12. Will Herring, Auburn
13. Dallas Sartz, Southern California
14. Juwan Simpson, Alabama
15. Zach Latimer, Oklahoma
16. KaMichael Hall, Georgia Tech
17. Robert Killebrew, Texas*
18. Stephen Nicholas, South Florida
19. Jarvis Jackson, Georgia
20. Sam Olajubutu, Arkansas

MLB
1. Patrick Willis, Ole Miss
2. H.B. Blades, Pittsburgh
3. Brandon Siler, Florida*
4. Buster Davis, Florida State
5. Anthony Waters, Clemson
6. Vince Hall, Virginia Tech*
7. Matt Muncy, Ohio
8. Korey Hall, Boise State
9. Desmond Bishop, California
10. Oscar Lua, Southern California
11. Thaddaeus Washington, Colorado
12. Mike D’Andrea, Ohio State
13. Kelvin Smith, Syracuse
14. George Hall, Purdue
15. Jon Abbate, Wake Forest*
16. Justin Durant, Hampton
17. Tony Taylor, Georgia
18. Kevin McLee, West Virginia
19. Dedrick Harrington, Missouri
20. Dave Harris, Michigan

Hopefully we have what we need currently at WR with Jackson and Gabriel at WR - but I wonder whether there is a quality #3 WR with upside who can be had for say, a third round pick in trade?

I guess that's a bit of a high price in terms of what they got Gabriel for, isn't it - but the point is we have picks to trade from 3 on down for the right player.

Jacky Roberts said:
Looking ahead, here's a pretty deep crop of Linebackers expected to be available next spring.

Keep in mind we usually have little use for college LBs. Show me the DE tweeners!

FreeTedWilliams said:
The Pats will definately get comp consideration for losing Givens, Vinateri, and Ashworth, Fauria, Davis, Chatham and Stone
However, those picks are going to be juxtaposed against our UFA signings of Caldwell and Mitchell and Seau? so I don't think that we are going to get a 3rd rd pick, maybe a extra 5th and two 7ths would seem more likely.

Other posts have explained it better, but, IIRC:

* The Pats get nothing for McGinest, since they released him.
* Seau doesn't count against the Pats, b/c they signed him after training camp began.
* Picks cancel each other out by contract value and number, not necessarily one or the other alone.
* There are a maximum of 32 comp picks, total.

I hope the Pats get four, though that may not happen.

As for what to do with the extra pick . . . they may not trade the two of them for a higher one, but I could easily see trading their second or third rounder to upgrade one of the picks (especially if there's a player Belioli really want).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back