PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007-2008 Patriots Appreciation Thread (or does it even matter anyways?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting Back to Form (Part 2 of 2)

The Patriots don't talk about it. They don't even mention the sensational start in the official press notes. . .Patriots' crack PR staff will tell you the team's record in games played at 34 degrees or less and it will tell you that Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are the winningest coach-QB tandem since 1970 (fairly arcane factoids), but it will not mention the only thing anyone cares about anymore: the unbeaten season.
- Dan Shaunessy. December 11, 2007

They've defeated two teams that already locked up their division (Dallas, Indy), clobbered two teams that current lead their division (San Diego, Pittsburgh), and beat a second-place team (Cleveland) that deserves nothing but respect. The combined record of those five teams, minus their five losses to the Patriots: 48-12. In my usual roundabout way, this is what I'm trying to say: I'm finally convinced that 19-0 is realistic, and perhaps even likely. Imagine that.
- Chad Finn of Boston Globe. December 10, 2007

A few hours before theNew England Patriots became only the fifth team in N.F.L. history to win its first 13 games, a plane trailing a banner flew over Gillette Stadium bearing a none-too-subtle message: Bonds — 756*, Belichick — 3 Super Bowl wins*. But as a chilly night fell over Foxborough on Sunday, Pittsburgh Steelers safety Anthony Smith might have offered a rejoinder to whoever paid for the plane: it is best not to show disrespect for the Patriots. Nobody can match New England's ability to take the slightest perceived disrespect and transform it into a major - and personal - injustice. The Patriots relied on this tactic in Super Bowl XXXIX when loudmouth receiver Freddie Mitchell belittled their secondary. They worked themselves into a lather during the 2007 playoffs when San Diego star Shawne Merriman predicted the Chargers would face the Jets, because they would beat the Patriots. And early in the season, opponents received a taste of Patriots vengeance when the veracity of their championships was questioned in the wake of a videotaping scandal.And now, Pittsburgh second-year free safety Anthony Smith would painfully discover in a 34-13 beatdown, “silence might not always be golden,” writes Len Pasquarelli of ESPN, “but it certainly tops the alternative when facing a New England team for which even the most innocuous comments can become a red-flag rallying point.” Indeed, in a season in which the Patriots decided to play with absolutely no regard for down, distance or score – “and in which offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels regards a running game as something only the opposition secondary should do in chasing his talented receiving corps” -- Smith was turned into the latest ember in the Patriots' “scorched earth policy.”

After consecutive 3-point victories against the Philadelphia Eagles and the Baltimore Ravens, in which their run defense was lacerated and Brady was under unusually stiff pressure, the Patriots returned to their dominating form against the Steelers, the best team remaining on their regular-season schedule and the third seed in the AFC playoffs. The Patriots’ defense had looked shaky in recent weeks and it entered the game with three goals: defend the run, do better on third down and prevent scores in the red zone. On their first drive, the Steelers settled for a field goal after they were held on a first-and-goal at the 7-yard line. Early in the fourth quarter, the Patriots stuffed a sweep by Hines Ward on fourth-and-1 from the 1, a play that essentially ended the game. But as usual this season, it was the Patriots’ offense that dominated the game.

Here, the Patriots had all their parts working in concert, and it started with pass protection. Brady was not sacked and in-game statisticians had him absorbing just four hits. Steelers linebacker Larry Foote agreed the Patriots' ability to handle the blitz was a key to the game. He felt the quick deliveries of Brady to his "hot route" rendered the pressure meaningless. Foote noted Brady "knew that blitz was coming, so he was throwing into it." From late in the second quarter until garbage time at the end of the game, the Patriots did not call a single running play (a stretch of 34 pass plays, unusual for a team playing with a lead). So the Patriots passed. And passed. And passed. If there was a revealing statistic that stood out from the Patriots' performance, it was this: The offense dropped back to throw on its first 26 snaps of the second half, turning a 17-13 halftime score into a 34-13 blowout. Of the 26 straight pass plays, they ran their four-receiver package on 16 second-half snaps, which included a holding penalty drawn by receiver Randy Moss. Their three-receiver package was in for the other 10. At times, the team went with an "empty" package, with running back Kevin Faulk lining up as a receiver. By spreading the field, it allowed Brady to isolate man-to-man matchups against the Steelers. By day's end, the Patriots had both Moss (135) and Gaffney (122) in triple-digits in receiving yards. In all, the Patriots threw 46 passes, and only rushed nine times. "It was a little weird at first," Pittsburgh linebacker James Farrior said. "I thought they would try to run when they had the lead on us, but they kept throwing the ball. Brady is good at reading defenses and our disguise wasn't good enough. He picked up most of our blitzes." “The Steelers might have come with the blitz often,” writes Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe, “but it was the Patriots who blitzed them through the air.”

During the game, the Patriots did not bother to hide their disgust with Smith, andhis comments succeeded only in pinning a bull's-eye on his own uniform. Smith was the second Steeler to take the field when Patriots fans began taunting him with chants of "Guarantee! Guarantee!" as he came through the tunnel. No doubt Tom Brady would remind Smith of his overconfidence, when the Patriots' quarterback torched Pittsburgh for 399 yards and four passing TDs in the 34-13 romp. Smith was covering Randy Moss when Brady found him in the back of the end zone for the first touchdown of the day. As the quarterback ran to congratulate his receiver, he turned and delivered some choice words to the safety. Brady was so far into Smith's grill, Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison felt the need to intervene. Brady exploited Smith again on the very next offensive series. He faked the hand-off to Laurence Maroney and watched with glee as the safety came up to help stop the run, then got burned on Brady's 63-yard bomb to Moss. Asked if he intentionally called a play to embarrass the kid, Brady answered, "No, he just ended up being in the right place at the right time." And then he burst out laughing.

Neither could Belichick resist laughing, "The safety play at that position was pretty inviting. We've played against a lot better safeties than him, I'll tell you.” "Lesson hard learned. Lesson hard learned," said Pats cornerback Ellis Hobbs. "There's nothing wrong with confidence. You have to have a swagger and an arrogance on the field. But there's a fine line and he definitely crossed it and he was definitely knocked down when he crossed it." As offensive tackle Matt Light put it, "The big man upstairs, they say he has a sense of humor." "This is the point in the year when we're going to have to start playing our best football," Light said. "I don't think anyone can say we've been doing that the past couple of weeks. It's good to be back on track." The win ensured the Patriots a first-round bye in the AFC playoffs. The game’s touchdown passes gave Brady his 11th game of the season with three or more, breaking a tie with Dan Marino for the single-season record. Brady’s performance in the game— 32-for-46 for 399 yards and a passer rating of 125.2—also earned him a fourth AFC Offensive Player of the Week nod. For the first time in the season, Brady went over 4,000 yards passing and moved within four TD throws of Peyton Manning's single-season record. It was Brady's fifth game this season with four TDs .The Pats were also now at 503 points for the season (53 points behind the single-season record set by the '98 Vikings) and Moss, who was a rookie on that '98 Viking team, moved within three TD catches of Jerry Rice's single-season record with his 18th and 19th of the season. It was the 100th victory of Bill Belichick as head coach of New England (100-39). It was a nice way to rebound after two close calls against the Eagles and Ravens, especially against the No.1 defense in the league.

Last edited:
Speaking of 2008....I remember that 2008 as one of the most entertaining seasons as a patriots fan...never knew what Cassel we would get and their were no expectations...still think that team could have made some noise in the playoffs...Probably wouldnt have gotten past Balt or Pitt though.

Nah, it was a failure. Only Peyton Manning ball washers put any considerable emphasis on regular season success.

It was fun seeing the team go undefeated for so long, but nothing will make up for the choke job at the end. I thought Brady played well under the circumstances, but the rest of the offense was embarrassing to watch. Can't expect to win while scoring a humiliating 14 points in the SB.

Nah, it was a failure. Only Peyton Manning ball washers put any considerable emphasis on regular season success.

It was fun seeing the team go undefeated for so long, but nothing will make up for the choke job at the end. I thought Brady played well under the circumstances, but the rest of the offense was embarrassing to watch. Can't expect to win while scoring a humiliating 14 points in the SB.

What would rather have at Gillete?

This:

17__1220806884_4422.jpg

Or this
colts.jpg
?

LOL

Um, I'd rather have this:

Gillette_Stadium04.jpg

Why not have both! :p Besides, how many other stadiums get to carry a 16-0 banner, or how many teams besides ours will ever be able to boast about making it to the Super Bowl with 18 consecutive wins! Ever?!

Was it embarrassing to lose SB 42, no doubt. But a failure? No, I'm not ready to accept that. Too many good memories.... Too many records broken.... Too many amazing accomplishments... Too many sacrifices .... does not amount to failure, just a big disappointment; but one I'm willing to overlook out of pride for my team!

Let's not forget, Randy Moss and Junior Seau never got their Super Bowl wins ...... but they put on the Pats uniform and made HUGE contributions... I would hate to see all that vanish just because of Eli Manning and the Giants.

Fair argument. And I would feel similarly had the Pats not redeemed those two losses with the elusive #4. But now I can look back and appreciate how dominant that team was. I've never seen anything like it. Not the '13 Broncos who I believe topped the '07 Pats in some numbers. Brady to Moss & Welker was outrageously great. It's a damn shame that we saved our worst performance of the season for the biggest stage. And even then it came down to a stroke of luck.

I would probably fret about it more had we not won 49. But the sting is significantly diminished. I can live with that and respect the fact that 2007 was one of, if not the greatest team of all time. One helmet catch made the difference. Kinda like how a once in a lifetime INT made the difference this year. I truly felt like the 2008 SB demon was exorcised in the most ironic fashion, in the same stadium (winning despite a fluke catch instead of losing due to a fluke catch).

Fair argument. And I would feel similarly had the Pats not redeemed those two losses with the elusive #4. But now I can look back and appreciate how dominant that team was. I've never seen anything like it. Not the '13 Broncos who I believe topped the '07 Pats in some numbers. Brady to Moss & Welker was outrageously great. It's a damn shame that we saved our worst performance of the season for the biggest stage. And even then it came down to a stroke of luck.

I would probably fret about it more had we not won 49. But the sting is significantly diminished. I can live with that and respect the fact that 2007 was one of, if not the greatest team of all time. One helmet catch made the difference. Kinda like how a once in a lifetime INT made the difference this year. I truly felt like the 2008 SB demon was exorcised in the most ironic fashion, in the same stadium (winning despite a fluke catch instead of losing due to a fluke catch).

Honestly, I cant think of a better way to win a Super Bowl. One of the greatest moments of my life as Patriots fan. Brought tears to my eyes!

amfoot__nfl__superbowl_0_1424247927.jpg

25424A8600000578-2935947-New_England_Patriots_strong_safety_Malcolm_Butler_celebrates_the-m-17_1422894523478.jpg

The Patriots: The Team to Beat

Watching the New England Patriots win is nothing new to football followers. They won three Super Bowls in four years between the 2001 and 2004 seasons and have been in the playoffs for six of the last seven years . . . But the feeling is different this year...The Patriots, who some call the best football team ever, have become villains. They began the season mired in a cheating scandal and since have been accused of embarrassing opponents by running up the score.

- Mark Mask of Washington Post, December 9, 2007

The Jets, of course, are the team that called out the Patriots as cheaters, which resulted in the loss of a first-round draft pick and considerable reputation

- Dan Shaughnessy of Boston Globe, December 10, 2007

Having beaten back a number of quality opponents — such as the Colts, Steelers, Cowboys, and the Chargers — and set new records, the New England Patriots appeared to be as unstoppable as anything ever seen in the NFL. Their play on the field was relentless. They had one of the most talented rosters in the league, and they were a legitimate threat to go undefeated during the 2007 season. Yet if there was one thing the Patriots could not hold at bay – it was the media. Right from the beginning, there was always something to criticize about the Patriots. Randy Moss didn’t play a single down in the preseason and some even speculated that he wouldn’t even make the team out of training camp. Others stated that Tom Brady was going to be distracted because of his personal life, having just become a new father, and trying to keep up with his supermodel girlfriend who wasn’t the mother of the child would somehow affect his performance on the field. Then the Patriots were winning by too much and the media complained endlessly that they were running up the scores and humiliating their opponents. Meanwhile, print columnists and sportscasters did their best rendition of tabloid/gossip reporting by promising the latest scoop on the Patriots.

As the victories kept coming, the country continued to splinter into two different sects—those who appreciated the greatness of the 2007 Patriots and those who wanted them to lose. One group saw them as an unstoppable football machine, while the other saw them as a bunch of cheating bullies who would stop at nothing to win. “They have been called cheaters and then bullies, all within the first half of the same season.” wrote Sam Donnellon, “That might be as unprecedented in the history of the National Football League as the gaudy statistics the New England Patriots have accumulated.” As Donnellon mentioned, the Patriots were once team that everyone could get behind. In the wake of September 11, they were the very symbol of can-do American fortitude that anyone could appreciate. “But the real trick the NFL's most dominant team has pulled this season, the one I can't recall ever happening before, is in morphing from national darlings to national demons, their team now an assemblage of superb but suspect characters, their coach a guy who makes Bill Parcells seem warm and fuzzy in comparison.”

At 13-0, the Patriots were viewed as everybody's rivals… the team America loves to hate and wants to beat…. the NFL's answer to the New York Yankees. Call it jealousy, boredom, a natural tendency to root for the underdog or a combination of all three – the bottom line was that the Pats became so dominant that many other teams were eager to see them fail. The Chargers were the Patriots' first opponents after Spygate, and tail-back LaDainian Tomlinson said in the week leading up to the game, "I think the Patriots live by the saying, 'If you're not cheating, you're not trying.' " The Patriots shut down and shut up Tomlinson in a 38-14 victory. After the Patriots won against Indianapolis with a 24-20 victory on Nov. 4, Belichick shared a frosty handshake with Colts coach Tony Dungy, who had evoked the name of Barry Bonds and called it a sad day for the NFL when the Patriots' videotaping punishment was announced. And the Pittsburgh Steelers raised the Patriots' ire with the brash guarantee of second-year safety Anthony Smith, who was victimized several times in New England's 34-13 victory. And then, there were the veterans of the 1972 Miami Dolphins team, who were in danger of seeing their legacy as the only team to finish an NFL season with a perfect mark in jeopardy. Several of the players were unabashed in their dislike of New England, none more vocal than former Miami coach Don Shula.” "The Spygate thing has diminished what they've accomplished," Shula said in an interview with the New York Daily News. "You would hate to have that attached to your accomplishments. They've got it."

In Week 15, the Patriots found themselves up against their least favorite nemesis: the New York Jets. It was, and remains, the most personal, most devious, most animosity-filled rivalry in the NFL. The latest chapter in this saga began with coaching friends who turned enemies over spies, lies and videotape. Jets coach Eric Mangini used to be one of Belichick’s own protégés, but Mangini had turned Belichick in for having a video assistant use a sideline videocamera in violation of NFL rules after the season opener in which the Patriots beat the Jets. The NFL fined Belichick $500,000 and the team $250,000 and took away their first-round draft choice next year for the illegal taping. Given the pre-existing animosity between the teams, and the strained relationships between the coaches, there was no team that the Patriots wanted to beat more than the New York Jets. Only this time, it would be a sloppy win earned the hard way.

Facing rain, wind and chilly gusts above 20 mph that helped drop the temperatures to the mid-20s, the New England relied on running the ball instead of Tom Brady's passing. For the first time in the season, Brady did not throw a single touchdown pass and completed 14 of 27 passes for 140 yards and an interception. “When you have elements like this you want to play great defense and run the ball,” Brady said. With a final score at 20-10 the Jets played the Patriots a lot closer than the 21-point spread, yet the game was not nearly as close as the final score, would indicate. The Jets sabotaged themselves by handing them 14 points on an interception (of Kellen Clemens) and a blocked punt. They produced 3 points on four sustained drives to the red zone. Mangini made everyone dizzy by alternating Chad Pennington and the scrambling Brad Smith at quarterback after Clemens was injured, a lamentable, slapstick strategy described by Patriots strong safety Rodney Harrison as “crazy” and befitting “a college team.” The closest the Jets came to scoring an offensive touchdown came when Pennington found receiver Justin McCareins in the back of the end zone. The touchdown would have cut the Patriots’ lead to 20-17 with 2 minutes 38 seconds left in the fourth quarter. Yet after a challenge from the Patriots, the officials ruled McCareins bobbled the ball. "We were able to slow them down tremendously," Jets linebackerVictor Hobson said, "but that is what good teams do, they just find ways to win."

The Patriots clinched the top seed in the American Football Conference playoffs, tied the franchise record for regular-season wins and became the first team to start a season with 14 victories since the 1972 Miami Dolphins. The Jets, meanwhile, took little solace in suffering the 11th loss of the season. What made the significance of this game all the more amusing, however, was Belichick’s refusal to acknowledge any of it. “Right now it’s all one-week seasons,” he said. “We’ll take a look at the Jets film, make the corrections from that, move on to Miami. That’s all we’re thinking about.” Business as usual!

Last edited:
Mashawn Lynch: Tom Brady is a "god of Football"

Do you remember when Marshawn Lynch used to be in the AFC East division? The Oakland native was drafted in 2007 by the Buffalo Bills and squared off twice against New England during their perfect 2007 regular season. Back during the 2007 season, right before the Super Bowl, the website YardBarker met up with Lynch who had the following take on Tom Brady

This is probably one of the best videos of Lynch on the internet. It's amazing- it's a rookie in complete awe of the Patriots attempt of a perfect season, specifically due to the passing mastery Tom Brady. While he was already one of the most clutch quarterbacks in history with three Super Bowl rings to his credit, Brady never had been a prolific passer until now. In his first six seasons as a starter, Brady never threw for more than 28 touchdowns in a season and had eclipsed the 4,000-yard passing mark just once before. Yet by December 19, 2007 Brady had already led his team to 13-0 and was leading the league in passing yards (4,235), passing yards per attempt (8.42), passing yards per game (302.5), quarterback rating (119.7) and passes for first downs (210). He was subsequently named sportsman of the year Tuesday by Sporting News (his second such award in four seasons) "Tom Brady has given us one of the greatest seasons in NFL history," said John Rawlings, senior vice president and editorial director of Sporting News. "You can't help but admire what he has accomplished — even if much of the NFL world has suddenly turned anti-Patriots."

Brady got the touchdown machine cranked back up in time for a Week 16 meeting with the Dolphins at Gillette Stadium, rolling to a 28-7 victory. The Dolphins never threatened, scoring their only touchdown with 1:19 remaining in the third quarter. With Brady pushing his season record of touchdowns to 48, the Patriots swept their division for the first time ever, going 6-0 against Miami, Buffalo and the Jets, while becoming the first team in NFL history to achieve a record of 15– 0. They were just one win away from regular-season perfection.

Tom Brady: 2007 Patriots 'Greatest Team That Ever Played In The NFL'

The New York Daily News’ Gary Myers revealed in an article published this week that he traveled with Brady from Gillette Stadium to downtown Boston two years ago while doing research for his recently released book, “Brady vs Manning: The Untold Story of the Rivalry That Transformed the NFL.” Myers asked Brady about the Patriots’ two Super Bowl losses to the Giants, including the defeat that ruined New England’s quest to go undefeated for the entire 2007 season.

“We had such a great team. To me, the greatest team that ever played in the NFL,” Brady told Myers. “We won so many games against the toughest competition that year by big margins. “Wes Welker and Randy Moss in the prime of their careers at the same time, along with Jabar Gaffney. We had a good running game, a great offensive line. Rodney Harrison, Tedy Bruschi, Asante Samuel — we had incredible talent, and our offense was so prolific. It was an incredible year. Then to lose — we lost to a really good football team who played really well that particular day, and it took some pretty great plays to beat us.”

Brady threw for a then-NFL record 50 touchdowns that season — Moss caught 23 of them, which is a league record — and New England scored 589 points. A 19-0 record and a Super Bowl title obviously would have been icing on the cake, but there’s no denying the 2007 Patriots were stacked.

Honestly, I cant think of a better way to win a Super Bowl. One of the greatest moments of my life as Patriots fan. Brought tears to my eyes!

amfoot__nfl__superbowl_0_1424247927.jpg

25424A8600000578-2935947-New_England_Patriots_strong_safety_Malcolm_Butler_celebrates_the-m-17_1422894523478.jpg

Just recently added the framed, autographed pic to my collection.

It's signed = Malcolm Butler, GW INT.

I agree that we should admire the 2007 Pats and that they may have even been the best team ever, or at least the best team ever to fall short in the closing minutes, but I don't like to look backwards.

As much as the two NYG losses hurt, some of that hurt went away with the incredible victory last February. When you consider that all six SBs were within 4 points of each other, I think 4/6 is quite reasonable.

It's certainly easier to look back on that season after we have just 'exercised the demons' in a way. Would I trade Super Bowl 49 for Super Bowl 42, sure. Winning Super Bowl 49 certainly made the pain FAR less though.

As for how we look back on that season, and in particular the banner that showcases the 16-0 accomplishment, someone put it in perspective for me.............

"A championship, while the ultimate end goal, is accomplished by one team EVERY season. An undefeated regular season, however, has only happened twice in the history of the league. When you look at it that way the banner for 16-0 is warranted."

I agree that we should admire the 2007 Pats and that they may have even been the best team ever, or at least the best team ever to fall short in the closing minutes, but I don't like to look backwards.

As much as the two NYG losses hurt, some of that hurt went away with the incredible victory last February. When you consider that all six SBs were within 4 points of each other, I think 4/6 is quite reasonable.

Agreed. When someone points out how close we were to winning all six, I will also point to the fact that we easily could have lost two others.

1972 Dolphins?

They left out the 16 game season part.

Doesn't it seem a bit weird that you don't hear more about how the 2007 Pats already beat out the Dolphins 17-0 record (including postseason)? I mean, I get why they all celebrated when the Pats lost in the final minutes of the SB, but they were 18-0 then. It seems strange that it never gets brought up.

Doesn't it seem a bit weird that you don't hear more about how the 2007 Pats already beat out the Dolphins 17-0 record (including postseason)? I mean, I get why they all celebrated when the Pats lost in the final minutes of the SB, but they were 18-0 then. It seems strange that it never gets brought up.

I don't really find it that weird. There's been a couple of teams who have gone 18-1 and won a super bowl. They didn't really 'beat' the 17-0 Dolphins, the goal is the undefeated season, not most consecutive wins in a season. We already had the most consecutive wins mark before 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes