PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007-2008 Patriots Appreciation Thread (or does it even matter anyways?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
....The Season Continues (Week 9 and 10)

If the Patriots can win 24-20 at Indianapolis, in the Permanent Hearing Loss Dome, against Peyton Manning, then nobody will beat them this season. If they can commit a franchise-record 10 penalties for 146 yards ... give up 112 rushing yards to Joseph Addai, trail at the end of the first, second and third quarters and late into the fourth, and still win, then nobody will beat them this season. And if Brady can double his interception total in one game and still leave the field with a 9-0 record, then nobody will beat them this season.
- Gene Wojciechowski, ESPN November 5, 2008

You don't go into a game with the goal of being undefeated. You prepare yourself to play well, and assume that your preparation and execution will lead you to victory. Coach Belichick had drilled this concept into his team throughout the season: One game at a time. One play at a time. Don't incite the opposition.Never look back. Going into Week 9, the Patriots resisted pondering their place in football history, even though they had already thrashed eight other teams by an unprecedented average of 30 points per game. And they kept themselves from lingering over the aftershocks of Spygate, as they prepared themselves to go up against the Colts in Indianapolis.

The viewership of the Week 6 game between the Patriots and Cowboys had been the most for a regular-season game in 10 years. And now Week 9 was being touted as another buzz-worthy matchup, perhaps the most anticipated game of the entire regular season. The Colts — the defending Super Bowl champions and the Patriots’ most bitter rival — had already beaten the Pats the last three times they played, including the AFC championship game in the 2006 season. Yet this matchup was unique. The Colts and Patriots were the only two teams left in the League who were still unbeaten. This would be the first time in NFL history that two unbeaten teams with seven or more wins had met (Sports Illustrated’s Paul Zimmerman dubbed it “Super Bowl XLI ½”) An estimated 32 million people would later tune in to watch the upcoming game in its final half hour.

For large chunks of the afternoon, the Colts held the lead throughout the game. But the Patriots rallied from a 20-10 fourth-quarter deficit to clinch the game, 24-20. In the process, they were able to overcome a franchise-record 146 yards in penalties and a 10-point deficit with 9:42 to play. “This is the first time [all season] we were in a ballgame late," said Brady, “There wasn't any loss of confidence or determination.” Junior Seau added, “We were going against a hostile crowd, an undefeated team. We take our hats off to them. But we still played well enough to win.” And once again, the Patriots sent a powerful message to the rest of the league: If we cannot overpower you (the Patriots had won their previous eight games by at least 17 points and hadn't scored fewer than 34 points in a game) then we will grind it out to overcome you. We can win at home or on the road. We can play some of our worst football and then recover in time to play some of our best. “Some victories do feel better than others, yes,” said Tedy Bruschi. “This one was one of those that you'll remember. It was a big one...”

After overcoming the Colts in Super Bowl XLI ½, the Patriots came off from a bye week to win their 10th straight game by routing their division rival, the Buffalo Bill, 56-10. It was the ninth time in 10 games New England won by more than 17 points and the ninth time it scored more than 34 points. They also did it against a Buffalo team that came in 5-4 with four straight wins, scoring five touchdowns on their first seven offensive possessions and getting the eighth on a turnover. If Spygate was bad for Bill Belichick, who was fined $500,000 (approximately 12 percent of his estimated $4.2 million annual salary), it turned out to be far worse for Buffalo. Belichick was more determined than ever to demonstrate that his team had no need to break the rules. So after their bye week, he drove his players even harder to drive up the scoring. "Coach says he puts you out there to score when you touch it," Brady said. "He doesn't put you out there to punt." The 56 points were the most by a road team since 1973. And the 46 points was the worst margin of defeat for Buffalo, three points worse than a loss to Baltimore in 1970.

Brady, meanwhile, with his five touchdown passes against the Bills, not only grabbed another franchise record— his 185 career touchdowns put him three ahead of Steve Grogan— but extended his NFL record streak of consecutive games with at least three touchdown passes to 10. Four of Brady’s touchdown passes were thrown to Moss— and all of those in the first half. Late in the game, NBC analyst John Madden made an amazing observation about Brady: “Tom Brady is playing better than Joe Montana ever did," said Madden, late in the game.” "There's no higher complement," added booth-mate Al Michaels. "Madden's words could not have been better timed," writes Kerry Byrne of Coldhardfootballfacts.com, "He probably didn't know this when he made that statement, but sometime in the first quarter those comparisons between Brady and Montana earned quite a bit of statistical validity." It was during the game that Brady reached a passer rating of 92.891, surpassing Montana on the career passer rating list (among players with 1,500 pass attempts, which is the minimum to qualify for official NFL records)

As the Patriots returned from their Week 10 bye, it was growing increasingly difficult to dismiss the possibility of achieving an undefeated season. The Pats were 10–0 with six more games to finish the season. Yet there were good reasons that only one team in post-AFL/ NFL merger history, the 1972 Dolphins, had ever progressed through an entire season without suffering a single loss. No matter how good any professional football team may be, it has to square off weekly against an opposing team made up of elite athletes. The 1972 Dolphins played a 14-game regular-season schedule. Their final record, including Super Bowl VII, was 17– 0. To exceed that accomplishment by two wins, particularly in the era of the salary cap and the competitive balance it breeds, would border on impossible!

Going undefeated is not easy.

To go undefeated a team needs to be good and it needs to be lucky

And luck is precisely what the Patriots received in their next couple of games!

01 ~ It was the freaking 2007 Season, not the freaking 2007-2008 Season, for phuck's sake. This isn't Hockey, where the Championship is decided the following June. Just because some moron once declared January 1st the beginning of the New Year, even though there're clearly 2 full Months of Winter to follow before Spring, and just because most Earthlings obediently conform to this bewildering Convention, doesn't mean you have to pretend that the last 2 Months of Winter don't belong to its own natural Year.

02 ~ Hey, I'm all for appreciating and celebrating every Accomplishment of this magnificent Dynasty.

03 ~ But reading crap that celebrates our "perfect" 16-0 regular Season, while ignoring the fact that the regular season record doesn't mean squat to the Team or to History gets me stabby. Celebrating regular Season accomplishments is precisely what the Peyton Manning Fans of the World celebrate.

04 ~ I am extremely proud of that 2007 Team, but I'm also extremely proud, for instance, of that 2008 Team that fought back from horrific Adversity, was slaughtering the NFL by Year's End, and might very well've gone all the way if the idiotic TieBreaker Rules hadn't screwed us out of a Division Title that we clearly and obviously earned over the pathetic Fish. I'm proud of every Team since 2000.

05 ~ Point being: I don't like focusing on 2007 as if we accomplished something special. We didn't.

06 ~ Was it a great Season?? Absolutely. But it was a great Season because of the Journey we shared ~ the Quest for Immortality we Fans sought together with the Players ~ even though it ended in enraging Defeat. Our Team gave it their very best. That is all I ever ask'f it. I am proud to call myself a Fan of this Team, Win or Lose. Hell, I am honored to call myself a Fan of this Team. That was not always so.

07 ~ Do not demean yourself by grasping for Cloture amongst the Detritus of a Great Season.

08 ~ Divisional Titles don't matter.

09 ~ Undefeated regular Seasons are meaningless.

~ Even among the Ruins of that Great Dream no Patriot made any Excuse, though Excuses were well At Hand. Every single Year since 2000, this Epic Journey has grown Richer and yet more fulfilling, whether or not we won the Super Bowl, as Mad Bill has led his Band of Warriors on yet another Great Quest, and has inspired me with nothing but Pride and Gratitude for the Privilege of joining him and our Team on this Quest. You see: 2007 doesn't require Cloture. We gave it all we had, and it was an Honor to be part of it.

For me...that is enough.

01 ~ It was the freaking 2007 Season, not the freaking 2007-2008 Season, for phuck's sake. This isn't Hockey, where the Championship is decided the following June. Just because some moron once declared January 1st the beginning of the New Year, even though there're clearly 2 full Months of Winter to follow before Spring, and just because most Earthlings obediently conform to this bewildering Convention, doesn't mean you have to pretend that the last 2 Months of Winter don't belong to its own natural Year.

02 ~ Hey, I'm all for appreciating and celebrating every Accomplishment of this magnificent Dynasty.

03 ~ But reading crap that celebrates our "perfect" 16-0 regular Season, while ignoring the fact that the regular season record doesn't mean squat to the Team or to History gets me stabby. Celebrating regular Season accomplishments is precisely what the Peyton Manning Fans of the World celebrate.

04 ~ I am extremely proud of that 2007 Team, but I'm also extremely proud, for instance, of that 2008 Team that fought back from horrific Adversity, was slaughtering the NFL by Year's End, and might very well've gone all the way if the idiotic TieBreaker Rules hadn't screwed us out of a Division Title that we clearly and obviously earned over the pathetic Fish. I'm proud of every Team since 2000.

05 ~ Point being: I don't like focusing on 2007 as if we accomplished something special. We didn't.

06 ~ Was it a great Season?? Absolutely. But it was a great Season because of the Journey we shared ~ the Quest for Immortality we Fans sought together with the Players ~ even though it ended in enraging Defeat. Our Team gave it their very best. That is all I ever ask'f it. I am proud to call myself a Fan of this Team, Win or Lose. Hell, I am honored to call myself a Fan of this Team. That was not always so.

07 ~ Do not demean yourself by grasping for Cloture amongst the Detritus of a Great Season.

08 ~ Divisional Titles don't matter.

09 ~ Undefeated regular Seasons are meaningless.

~ Even among the Ruins of that Great Dream no Patriot made any Excuse, though Excuses were well At Hand. Every single Year since 2000, this Epic Journey has grown Richer and yet more fulfilling, whether or not we won the Super Bowl, as Mad Bill has led his Band of Warriors on yet another Great Quest, and has inspired me with nothing but Pride and Gratitude for the Privilege of joining him and our Team on this Quest. You see: 2007 doesn't require Cloture. We gave it all we had, and it was an Honor to be part of it.

For me...that is enough.

You're right, being a fan of this team in the last 14 years has been quite the journey (I enjoy the 'epic fantasy' tone of your post). Like you said, it's rewarding to see your team go up against so much adversity and rise to the occasion every time (the aftermath of Tom Brady's injury is probably the best example, but there's many many more). And hopefully, people will look back on the 2007 season as being cathartic. It can remind fans to embrace the fullness of what this team has really done, rather than cherry pick the number of times that things went our way. But where I disagree with you is your suggestion that going undefeated through eighteen outstanding games is meaningless. It is something special.

There's no doubt winning a Super Bowl is the very pinnacle of NFL success. In fact, one of the most enjoyable parts of the Super Bowl is its overwhelming finality. The Super Bowl is the only one-and-done championship game in North American professional sports. That kind of heightened pressure means that great plays or performances are guaranteed to live on in memory. Take a moment and consider the magnitude of a single interception at the 1-yard goal line - and one that takes place in the final seconds of an arena event that happens only once a year! Consider that everything may hinge on that one play, and that you only get to see it happen once in a championship title. It's those kinds of thrills and last-ditched heroics that really make a Super Bowl worth remembering. And that may explain why the Super Bowl transcends all other NFL titles as the ultimate prize. But no matter how important a Super Bowl victory may be, we can't allow a Super Bowl loss to eradicate everything else the Pats have accomplished.

On one hand, going undefeated is not the ultimate goal of a team -- winning a Super Bowl is. But while the Patriots may have failed to meet that goal, they did so in the most spectacular way imaginable, by going undefeated over the course of eighteen games. Robert Kraft and the organization decided to commemorate that season with a banner, because those kinds of achievements simply aren't meant to happen. You see, it has nothing to do with being in 2nd place or becoming a finalist. Foxborough is not like Indianapolis, where we have a banner for every division championship or conference match. We do not view an AFCC title as a rare distinction, or something out of the ordinary. Teams are supposed to compete in those games - and there will always be a winner and a loser. The same can be said about the Super Bowls. Since 1967, there has always been a team that has won a Super Bowl, and a team that has lost. It's an annual event, not a rarity, that has happened 49 times in the last 49 years That means that 49 different teams have won a Super Bowl title, and 49 teams have lost. But for the entire existence of the NFL, only twice has a team ever gone undefeated in the regular season. And no one other team has ever gone 16-0 in the regular season, or strung together eighteen victories in a row to open up a season. And when you consider the special circumstances of that season -- from mandated parity (salary cap, free agency, balanced scheduling) to the intense media coverage (e.g. the constant allegations of cheating, investigations, the death of a teammate in training camp, never-ending public scrutiny) that achievement really starts to speak for itself.

One of the goals of winning SB 49 in Glendale, Arizona was supposed to be about rectifying the loss of SB 42, and finally healing the wounds from that debacle. But beyond that, it really can't add or subtract from the 2007 season. That season has always stood on its own. Perhaps future generations will feel differently about it than we do. But for now, I'll guess we'll have to settle for our conflicted, ambiguous feelings LOL

You're right, being a fan of this team in the last 14 years has been quite the journey (I enjoy the 'epic fantasy' tone of your post). Like you said, it's rewarding to see your team go up against so much adversity and rise to the occasion every time (the aftermath of Tom Brady's injury is probably the best example, but there's many many more). And hopefully, people will look back on the 2007 season as being cathartic. It can remind fans to embrace the fullness of what this team has really done, rather than cherry pick the number of times that things went our way. But where I disagree with you is your suggestion that going undefeated through eighteen outstanding games is meaningless. It is something special.

There's no doubt winning a Super Bowl is the very pinnacle of NFL success. In fact, one of the most enjoyable parts of the Super Bowl is its overwhelming finality. The Super Bowl is the only one-and-done championship game in North American professional sports. That kind of heightened pressure means that great plays or performances are guaranteed to live on in memory. Take a moment and consider the magnitude of a single interception at the 1-yard goal line - and one that takes place in the final seconds of an arena event that happens only once a year! Consider that everything may hinge on that one play, and that you only get to see it happen once in a championship title. It's those kinds of thrills and last-ditched heroics that really make a Super Bowl worth remembering. And that may explain why the Super Bowl transcends all other NFL titles as the ultimate prize. But no matter how important a Super Bowl victory may be, we can't allow a Super Bowl loss to eradicate everything else the Pats have accomplished.

On one hand, going undefeated is not the ultimate goal of a team -- winning a Super Bowl is. But while the Patriots may have failed to meet that goal, they did so in the most spectacular way imaginable, by going undefeated over the course of eighteen games. Robert Kraft and the organization decided to commemorate that season with a banner, because those kinds of achievements simply aren't meant to happen. You see, it has nothing to do with being in 2nd place or becoming a finalist. Foxborough is not like Indianapolis, where we have a banner for every division championship or conference match. We do not view an AFCC title as a rare distinction, or something out of the ordinary. Teams are supposed to compete in those games - and there will always be a winner and a loser. The same can be said about the Super Bowls. Since 1967, there has always been a team that has won a Super Bowl, and a team that has lost. It's an annual event, not a rarity, that has happened 49 times in the last 49 years That means that 49 different teams have won a Super Bowl title, and 49 teams have lost. But for the entire existence of the NFL, only twice has a team ever gone undefeated in the regular season. And no one other team has ever gone 16-0 in the regular season, or strung together eighteen victories in a row to open up a season. And when you consider the special circumstances of that season -- from mandated parity (salary cap, free agency, balanced scheduling) to the intense media coverage (e.g. the constant allegations of cheating, investigations, the death of a teammate in training camp, never-ending public scrutiny) that achievement really starts to speak for itself.

One of the goals of winning SB 49 in Glendale, Arizona was supposed to be about rectifying the loss of SB 42, and finally healing the wounds from that debacle. But beyond that, it really can't add or subtract from the 2007 season. That season has always stood on its own. Perhaps future generations will feel differently about it than we do. But for now, I'll guess we'll have to settle for our conflicted, ambiguous feelings LOL

Tremendous Post, though I disagree with much of it, especially the first Paragraph and the last.

But no matter how important a Super Bowl victory may be, we can't allow a Super Bowl loss to eradicate everything else the Pats have accomplished.

You've misread me dramatically if you think I was suggesting anything remotely like that.

You've misread me dramatically if you think I was suggesting anything remotely like that.

Sorry, my bad.

Any favorite memory of the season?

Mines - Week 13 away game in Baltimore, vs. Ravens. Weather is incremental and cold. The Ravens have been whooping our ass for 3/4 of the game. The score is 17-24 in the beginning of the fourth quarter. Then everything goes crazy in the final minute. For final 44 seconds of game, Brady leads a 73-yard game-winning drive by passing first downs on third-and-1 and fourth-and-6, and after a defensive holding on another fourth-down play, hits Gaffney on first-and-goal from the 8. New England clinches the game, 27 - 24. With barely seconds left, Ravens QB Kyle Boller throws a desperate haily mary that surprisingly connects, but the Ravens are taken down three yards just shy of the end zone, when the clock runs out. Wild finish!!

Last edited:
Sorry, my bad.

Any favorite memory of the season?

Mines - Week 13 away game in Baltimore, vs. Ravens. Weather is incremental and cold. The Ravens have been whooping our ass for 3/4 of the game. The score is 17-24 in the beginning of the fourth quarter. Then everything goes crazy in the final minute. For final 44 seconds of game, Brady leads a 73-yard game-winning drive by passing first downs on third-and-1 and fourth-and-6, and after a defensive holding on another fourth-down play, hits Gaffney on first-and-goal from the 8. New England clinches the game, 27 - 24. With barely seconds left, Ravens QB Kyle Boller throws a desperate haily mary that surprisingly connects, but the Ravens are taken down three yards just shy of the end zone, when the clock runs out. Wild finish!!

That was probably mine, as well!! I have a tiny fraction of the Taste for our Foes's Tears as most Fans seem to have ~ For the most part, I respect and in many cases admire our Foes...But for the Ravens I have a deep and abiding Contempt, and it was sweet indeed to watch them howl and squeal in Rage & Agony that night!!

The Season Continues: Weeks 12 and 13

If the New England Patriots put together the perfect regular season, if they can do what no NFL team has done and finish 16-0, they'll undoubtedly tell the story of the one they stole from the Baltimore Ravens. They'll smile at the memory of surviving on a cold, blustery, contentious night when the outcome was in doubt, right down to the final desperate heave and incredibly unlikely catch-and-struggle 72 inches or so from the goal line.
- Michael Wilbon, Washington Post, December 4 2007

"This is how you win football games in November and December. They’re going to be close. You've got to find a way to pull them out."
- Tedy Bruschi, Dec. 4, 2007

"Teams are definitely stringing us out a little more than they had been. But you know what? Check the record, [because] we're heading home 12-0. The string is still [intact]. The string, man, is still unbroken."
- Vince Wilfork, Dec. 4, 2007

As the world watched on in 2007, there were many who looked in awe and were puzzled over how the Pats managed to pull together so many wins and set so many new records over a short period of time. Prior to September, no one even suggested that an undefeated season was even possible. There were many players in the league who had already played with or against outstanding teams such as the 1998 Minnesota Vikings (15-1, 3-point losers to Tampa Bay in Week 9), the 1998 Denver Broncos (13-0 before losing two straight), and the 2005 Indianapolis Colts (also 13-0 before losing two straight). And had you asked any one of these players, shortly before the opening kickoff of the 2007 season, whether there was any team was likely to compile 10 consecutive wins before heading into their eleventh game, the unanimous answer would have been a resounding: “no!” Perfection simply has too many moving parts, with hundreds of pieces that need to fall into place for a team to prevail undefeated. But while tottering on the brink of defeat in Weeks 12 and 13, the Patriots somehow emerged unscathed, largely by being resolute, resourceful, and disciplined… and sometimes by just being plain lucky.

In these two games, the Patriots went up against the Philadelphia Eagles (Week 12) and the Baltimore Ravens (Week 13) -- two talented teams who were inspired to play some of their best football of the season. For these underdogs, it did not matter how many games they had lost. And it didn’t even matter if the starting quarterbacks of both teams were not even present! In playing well beyond their capabilities, these teams found plenty validation from being the first to seriously compete with New England. In these two games, the Patriots lived precariously on the edge of defeat, appearing worn out at times and even downright vulnerable. But on both these occasions, the Patriots delivered when it mattered the most.

Week 12

In Week 12, the Eagles (5-6) entered Gillette Stadium as an underdog without their starting quarterback. In the days leading up to the game, bets were flowing in on the Patriots and their anticipated margin of victory (having already destroyed opponents and the point spread early in the season). The betting line heavily favored the Patriots by anywhere from 23 to 29 points – setting an NFL record for the largest point spread in regular season history. Even before the game, the Patriots clinched the AFC East title when Buffalo lost to Jacksonville 36-14 (which tied an NFL record for the earliest clinching since 1978, when the 16-game schedule was introduced). Having already clinched the AFC East with Buffalo's loss earlier in the day, and with an injured Donovan McNabb on the Eagles' sideline, it was easy to assume the Patriots would coast to 11-0.But instead of the anticipated blowout, a national television audience of 22.5 million viewers were treated to a unexpected shootout with backup quarterback A.J. Feeley, who had the game of his life against the Pats, completing 27 of 42 passes for 345 yards and 3 touchdowns.

The Patriots had some success in building a 24-21 halftime lead, but make no mistake, the Eagles came with everything they had. They came in as underdogs with nothing to lose, and fought with an aggressiveness that had been lacking in most of the Patriots’ earlier opponents. The Eagles masterfully mixed their pressure on defense, sometimes coming with blitzes and overloading certain sides of the field, while other times dropping seven players into coverage. They played fast and without fear - blitzing on about 50 percent of Patriots pass plays. As a result, the Patriots rarely got into the rhythm that had defined their season. In the first half, they ran twice, once at the goal line for a touchdown and once when Brady scrambled from pressure. The rest of the time, they ran a no-huddle offense from the shotgun with four wide receivers. And still the Eagles were able to disrupt Brady, getting pressure in his face, forcing quick passes that took away the deep throws. Brady struggled at times against Philadelphia's blitzes, making up for the blanket coverage on Moss by throwing underneath to Welker.

The two teams battled back and forth. The Patriots had a seven-point lead twice, 7-0 and 14-7 but that was as large as either team led all game. When they possessed the ball, the Eagles were able to move with relative ease against the Patriots’ defense, matching New England score for score. The Eagles resorted ball control to limit New England's potent offense to three first-half possessions and just eight total drives. Pass protection was particularly solid, which led to the Patriots' pass rush never truly getting in synch with the coverage behind it - and the secondary paid the price. And on special teams, the Eagles played clean and gutsy. Despite one offside penalty on a second-half punt, the Eagles played to a stalemate in the field-position game, and even recovered a first-half onside kick. They also benefited from a few breaks (including a pass-interference call on Randy Mossthat wiped out a TD, and a missed chip-shot field goal by Stephen Gostkowski -- only his second missed attempt of the season). The Patriots, meanwhile, went away from the four-wide packages in the second half, and countered by spreading the field, often relying on an "empty" formation that featured five receivers making quicker route adjustments. But the pressure never stopped coming, and the Eagles, on the strength of three touchdown passes by Feeley, went into the final quarter with a 28-24 lead and a real chance to pull off a monumental upset.

But the Patriots muddled through, largely because Wes Welker took advantage of the blanket coverage on Moss to catch 13 underneath passes for 149 yards. The Pats managed to regain the lead midway through the fourth quarter when Brady orchestrated one of his trademark game-winning drives. After being sacked three times and hit numerous others, Brady made superb adjustments, eschewing the vertical game to Randy Moss and instead zeroing in on other receivers. Welker had three receptions for 39 yards on the drive, each catch moving the chain for first downs. In the end, Brady drove his team from its own 31-yard line for a 69-yard touchdown drive before running back Laurence Maroney covered the final 4 yards for the score. Once again, Brady proved both sensational and savvy, completing 34 of 54 passes for 380 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions to rally the Pats from a four-point deficit with 7 minutes, 24 seconds remaining. "You're not going to fool Tom Brady, that's all there is to it," said Welker, who had 13 receptions for 149 yards in the Patriots' 31-28 comeback victory that stretched New England's unblemished record to 11-0. "As much as you try, it's not going to happen. Tom is simply too good and too smart ... and that's the bottom line."

But this was a far cry from the previous week, when the Patriots scored seven touchdowns on seven possessions against Buffalo. The Patriots needed almost every minute to prevent the clock running out on their perfect season. In fact, this game was less about perfection and more about survival. While Brady was characteristically cool and brilliant, the Pats nearly stumbled, needing two interceptions from cornerback Asante Samuel-- one returned for a touchdown just 1:22 into the game, and the other coming in the end zone, when Feeley got overly eager with 3:52 left in the game -- to stay undefeated. The game marked the first time this season that Brady did not have at least three touchdown passes in a game, and the 31 points actually represented their second-lowest output of the year. It was also the Patriots' smallest margin of victory the season thus far. (Interestingly enough, the winning margin was the same as it was when these teams last met, in Super Bowl XXXIX, a 3-point victory by the Patriots. “Three points, man. The Patriots and three points,” Eagles Coach Andy Reid lamented. “They are killing me with this.”)

Through their first ten games, the Patriots really did look like a team that was unbeatable (nine of their ten wins were by a margin of least 17 points). The only time when New England's winning streak was in jeopardy was in Week 9 against Indianapolis, when the Patriots rallied from 10 points down with under 10 minutes left to beat the Colts. But nobody could have predicted that the Philadelphia Eagles, three-touchdown underdogs and playing with a backup quarterback, would be the team to nearly derail the New England’s hopes for a perfect season. Just how close did “perfection” come to being defeat in this nail-biter? It took a fourth-quarter rally sparked by Brady’s blitz-busting passing game and an end-zone interception by Asante Samuel in the waning minutes of the game, for the Pats to emerge unblemished. The Eagles did what many thought they weren't capable of, and that was give the darlings of the NFL everything they could handle. But the Patriots finally made all the big plays at the end. "That's what it's about in the NFL, making plays," Samuel said. "That's how you get here and you stay around." It's also about winning, no matter how close the game. You have to win like this sometimes too," said Jabar Gaffney. "You're not going to blow everyone out." “I anticipate more games like this,” said Tedy Bruschi. “You come down the stretch in December and teams start playing their best football. I anticipate all teams to play us hard.” But if the Eagles gave this New England team concern, then the Ravens would put the fear of God into them . . .

Still curious to hear other people share their thoughts....when I started this thread, I didn't intend to write a running series on the season, but I figured if nobody wanted to talk, then the least I could do is write a summary for others to read, at least until we have something to talk about :D

Week 13

Despite coming in as losers of five straight games, the Ravens played with a passion unlike anything the Patriots had encountered all season. They were simply tired of watching other teams give in to the Patriots, and were determined to play in Week 13 as though it were their own ‘Super Bowl.’ And they were jacked and ready to unleash mayhem on prime time television. Thanks to New England’s unprecedented winning streak, the game became the most-watched single cable television program of all-time: 17.5 million people tuned in to watch the game on Monday Night Football. Beyond the opportunity to deliver a major upset before a record-setting national audience, this was an emotional game for several Ravens playing on the day of Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor's funeral. During the moment of silence before the game, Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis had tears in his eyes, which had Taylor's No. 21 underneath them. Lewis, Reed and McGahee - all former University of Miami players like Taylor - huddled up before kickoff with their heads touching. "This is about family," Lewis told them. "Give them everything you've got." The pressure was high, the television coverage was record-breaking, and emotions were flying off the charts at a blustery M&T Bank Stadium.

With starting quarterback Steve McNairon out on injured reserve, the Ravens opened the game as 19-point underdogs with backup quarterback Kyle Boller. Boller, picking up where A. J. Feeley left off last week, matched Brady’s statistics in what was the finest performance of his career. Boller lit up a previously anemic offense which had ranked 28thin pass offense, by going 15-for-23 for 210 yards and throwing for two touchdowns. The offense also had running back Willis McGahee pound the run, rushing for 138 yards on 30 carries to gain a touchdown. The Patriots’ linemen never mounted an effective response, and seemed to give up big chunks of yardage to McGahee. Worse yet, the linebackers and safeties were unable to fill in the holes and gaps created by the Ravens’ running game. The script that the Eagles provided also worked for the Ravens defense. The Ravens laid the wood to anybody holding the ball in a New England uniform as though they were fighting a back-alley brawl. Amid swirling winds and occasional snow flurries, they pressured Brady and his receivers, and with the aid of the strong winds that held his passes in the air, they limited big pass plays, holding the Patriots to only 125 yards, no third down conversions and three punts in the first half.

To that point, the Patriots had dropped at least five passes (though some of the tosses must have fluttered in the wind, which gusted to 39 mph and was steadily 22 mph or greater). Tight end Benjamin Watson, specifically, dropped a touchdown pass on the opening drive that forced the Patriots to settle for a field goal. The Patriots also struggled to move the ball consistently, since the Ravens used a ground game that averaged 4.5 yards per carry to control the clock. By the beginning of the third quarter, the Ravens held a 17-10 lead. But when the Patriots needed to catch up, they seized control of the tempo of the game, going to a no-huddle offense that limited the Ravens’ defensive substitutions and quickening the pace. Then the Patriots kept running until finally, on third and one, Brady found Randy Moss in the back of the end zone for a touchdown that tied the score 17-17 midway through the third quarter. It was the 40th touchdown pass of the season for Brady, but it came under desperate circumstances that almost nobody had predicted. Indeed, by the end of the game, Brady completed just 18 of 38 passes for 257 yards and had an efficiency rating of only 76.3!

After the Patriots tied the game, the Ravens moved back down the field at will, propelled by McGahee until, on first and goal, Boller, with McGahee blocking, found Daniel Wilcox in the back of the end zone for a touchdown, to lead 24-17. Indeed, if not for a fumble of an interception return by Ed Reed and an up-for-grabs interception at the New England goal line, the Ravens might have shut the door on the Patriots. But then, when it mattered most, it all unraveled spectacularly for Baltimore. Boller's inexplicable decision to throw deep with a 24-17 lead in the fourth quarter was a mental error reminiscent of Eagles quarterback A.J. Feeley's ill-timed pass the previous week. It was a moment that required clarity, and instead was executed with haste, and a mild sense of panic. That’s when the Patriots got virtually every break imaginable in the closing minutes.

On at least three occasions in the final two minutes, the Patriots' pursuit of perfection seemed over. But in each instance, fortune intervened:

• Leading 24-20 with 1:48 left in the game, the Ravens appeared to have made a game-winning stop, stuffing Brady on a fourth-down sneak from the Baltimore 30-yard line, but the play was negated because Ravens Defensive Coordinator (Rex Ryan!) had called a timeout a nanosecond before the snap, giving New England another chance to continue the drive.

• On the ensuing snap, fullback Heath Evans was crushed by Ravens linebacker Bart Scott for a 1-yard loss. But the play was negated because Patriots right guard Russ Hochstein was called for a false-start penalty. Apprised that it was probably the most fortuitous foul of his career, the veteran backup lineman played it straight. "It's still something," Hochstein said, "that you never want to do."

• With 55 seconds remaining and facing a fourth-and-5 from the Ravens' 13-yard line, Brady threw incomplete for tight end Benjamin Watson, but Baltimore dime cornerback Jamaine Winbornewas flagged for holding in the secondary. It was the correct call by the officials, but on the wrong defender. Winborne made virtually no contact on the play but, in underneath coverage, Scott had Gaffney in a bear hug.

For the second straight week, it was a struggle against a losing team, but the incredibly resourceful Patriots got Tom Brady’s eight-yard touchdown pass to Jabar Gaffney with 44 seconds left to beat the Baltimore Ravens 27-24. The winning drive in the final minutes covered 73 yards and required two fourth-down conversions, one on a defensive holding penalty six seconds before Gaffney beat Dawan Landry in the left corner of the end zone.

The emotional response of the Ravens was telling. Disappointment and frustration would have been understandable, but the anger and disbelief they directed toward the sideline was counterproductive. For instance, Bart Scott's back-to-back unsportsmanlike conduct penalties were crushing to a team that was still within a field goal of sending the game into overtime. On a night when the wind was a factor and the Ravens' kick returners had had success against New England's special teams coverage, the 35 yards of penalties (adding in an offsides by Ed Reed on the extra point) enabled Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski to boom the kickoff out of the end zone, thereby preventing the Ravens from having the opportunity to rip off a big return. Hurting themselves in the fourth quarter with questionable decision-making, the Ravens fell short on the game's final play, when Boller heaved a 52-yard pass in the air that was caught by a leaping Market Clayton – only to be stopped at the Patriots' 3-yard line by a mob of Patriots. Game over.

The Ravens shook New England to its very core through the first 3 1/2 quarters. Yet despite outplaying New England for most of the night, they left too much opportunity for the Patriots to rally in the fourth quarter. There’s no doubt that the Patriots received a few lucky breaks in their comeback victory. But to suggest that New England's players understood that the win was as much about good fortune as it was guts and fortitude would misrepresent the overriding mind-set that the Pats felt. During their 12-game winning streak, New England had trailed against five teams but had made plays when it has needed to make them. That speaks less about luck and fortune, and more about the Patriots' consistent discipline, composure, and poise under pressure.

"It's the third time in four weeks we've come from behind in the fourth quarter," Coach Belichick said. After ticking off a laundry list of things he thought his team did less than well, Belichick added, "I'm proud of the way we played when it was on the line . . . when we had to have some plays made." “[Coach] had us so focused and he had us what I called ‘brainwashed.’ recalled Rodney Harrison, “ . . . Each week, after we’d beaten a team by 25 or 30 points, he’d show us all the negative plays. That was his way of keeping us humble and telling us we can always play better. One thing he preached that season was finishing. We were criticized for blowing people out and keeping our starters in, but he wanted to teach us to finish playing sixty minutes of football.” This “brainwashed” football team clearly demonstrated the discipline and confidence needed to respond when the game went haywire, and there was no better example of this than Brady. Randy Moss put it best: "By him just being Tom Brady the confidence factor came in. With him making the right read, the right adjustments, giving us the right signals and things like that, with a quarterback like Tom Brady you've got to have confidence that things will work out for the best and they did."

Last edited:
That was probably mine, as well!! I have a tiny fraction of the Taste for our Foes's Tears as most Fans seem to have ~ For the most part, I respect and in many cases admire our Foes...But for the Ravens I have a deep and abiding Contempt, and it was sweet indeed to watch them howl and squeal in Rage & Agony that night!!

Man are the Ravens whiners. I don't think any team works the refs as part of the game plan like them.

That game in 2007 was great for two reasons.
1. Wrecks Ryan the DC couldn't keep his big yap shut (shocker huh?)and made the game losing time out.
2. At the end the Ravens were trying to win by committing enough penalties to keep the refs from being able to work up enough breath to blow the whistle. It didn't work.

Man are the Ravens whiners. I don't think any team works the refs as part of the game plan like them.

That game in 2007 was great for two reasons.
1. Wrecks Ryan the DC couldn't keep his big yap shut (shocker huh?)and made the game losing time out.
2. At the end the Ravens were trying to win by committing enough penalties to keep the refs from being able to work up enough breath to blow the whistle. It didn't work.

Did you know Don Shula was in the stands that game, seen openly cheering against the Pats? Lol, how pathetic is that!?

Did you know Don Shula was in the stands that game, seen openly cheering against the Pats? Lol, how pathetic is that!?

That doesn't surprise me at all.

Thanks for everyone who decided to comment in this thread! These were some of the best memories I had as a Pats fan.... and I'm so glad that we won the SB in 2015 in Glendale, AZ, because it makes it much easier to recall those memories, without "that" ending ruining it for me.

18-0 will always be a special number to me....and it's been tremendous thrill ride to stick with this team through it all.

GO PATS!

Last edited:
Tom Brady - A Season for the Ages

Ya'll remember how this felt?

......a short gift from the football gods that turned unpleasant.... but was good while it lasted

Last edited:
LOL @ "Tom Brady's beautiful....I mean my wife think's he's beautiful"

Patriots 16-0 Song

hahaha, I feel like giving up on this thread due to lack of participation...lol but it just so happens to be my favorite year as a Pats fan, so I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I'm just finding a way to fill in the boredom of offseason till the Draft and/or Wells Report ..who knows?!

Getting Back To Form ... Part 1

As the Patriots got closer to an undefeated season, the games got harder, each team giving New England its best. Wins were no longer a weekly high; they were a relief. Both the Ravens and Eagles had already put the Patriots on the ropes, as millions of viewers had tuned in to watch a narrow 31-28 come-from-behind win over Philly and a near-miraculous victory against Baltimore. Both teams were not able to close the deal –thanks to the resilience of Brady and the determination of his teammates. This was especially evident in Week 13 against Baltimore. In what would become their toughest challenge yet, the Patriots dropped or mishandled nine passes in frigid, windy weather, and for the first time all season, a team successfully managed to shut down Randy Moss and Wes Welker (it’s worth noting that both Moss and Welker played their entire careers in warm or domed climates). On a night when they were hit from all sides, blitzed constantly, saw their receivers drop numerous balls, battled heavy winds and trailed 24– 20 late in the fourth quarter, New England urgently needed Brady to lead his team to victory… and Brady did not let his teammates down. When it mattered the most, Brady drove the Pats 73 yards on 13 plays— including a scramble to convert on fourth-and-six —and capping the effort with an eight-yard strike to Gaffney in the game’s final minute.

Given how close the Patios had brushed up against defeat, some of their opponents were already foreseeing their defeat. Defensive back Anthony Smith was so certain the Pittsburgh Steelers would end the Patriots' unbeaten season, he was guaranteeing a win in Foxborough. "We're going to win," Smith said. "Yeah, I can guarantee a win. As long as we come out and do what we got to do. Both sides of the ball are rolling, and if our special teams come through for us, we've got a good chance to win." Taken in the full context of his interview with the Pittsburgh media, the so-called guarantee wasn't so much a dare aimed at the Pats as it was a confirmation the Steelers would come here to win. The Steelers were enjoying a winning season (9-3) and Pittsburgh's defense had allowed the fewest points and yards in the NFL. "They say they played their toughest game last week against Baltimore, but I think we play harder than Baltimore," Smith said. "They're going to be in for it again this week. They're going to have a tough week in front of them.”

To be continued....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill