PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2006 squad is looking drool-inducing scary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richter said:
I think we could use another WR anyway, but I like how Andre Davis developed and would like to see him back, with a shot at the #2 spot if Givens isn't retained. I'd like to keep Givens around though, unless they want to save the money for Seymour.
We do need a #3 guy, Davis would be decent if we could re-sign him for cheap money. I can't see us putting too much into Givens with the other FA we have upcoming in 2006 and 2007 but I would love to get him back for a reasonable price.

Richter said:
I think we could use another WR anyway, but I like how Andre Davis developed and would like to see him back, with a shot at the #2 spot if Givens isn't retained. I'd like to keep Givens around though, unless they want to save the money for Seymour.
I think he could take Given's spot for the right money.

pats1 said:
I can just imagine Watson and Branch and Givens and Graham tearing stadiums down, held steady by a Light-Mankins-Koppen-Neal-Kaczur line.

Youth on defense as well. Warren-Wilfork-Seymour-Green. Colvin and Vrabel still have a good amount of years left, Willie and Bru will stick it out a few more.

Hobbs, Samuel, Sanders, Scott.

And then there's the draft...
dont be surprised if ty law comes back .there is no way the jets are going to pay him 11 million .look for him to be released by the jets

KDPpatsfan said:
I think he could take Given's spot for the right money.
Davis didn't show nearly enough for me to even think of him as our #2 WR next year.

BelichickFan said:
I'd love a stud safety or CB too . . . but did you guys watch the game tonight ?

The offense sucked. Dillon will be a year older. The OL should be better. But if Givens is gone, WR is our #1 need unless we get a good one in FA.
This year's draft doesn't really have a stud at WR. Holmes may be the only one that goes in the first. However it is very very deep on mid round prospects who could turn into really good players.

BelichickFan said:
- Tied playoff teams first tie breaker is playoff advancement.

It adds up to #21, baby.

Does anybody know how we won tiebreaker over Washington (to get 21 instead of 22) when we both got eliminated on the same day? There's not a coin flip is there?

I think drool inducing scary is a tad over the top.

Don't know what may be available in FA but don't be surprised if Branch replaces Givens as the #2. BB tried to sign a #1 in the last off season. And he tried to salvage a couple of draft busts including Borges' binky. I think he had good reason, and has more reasons going forward. Givens and Branch are both fine #2's, but both have durability issues, and if Given wants #1 money as is rumored he will be long gone. Fauria is not adequate depth at TE if Graham continues to have durability issues. Without a 1600 yard back our receivers looked pretty pedestrian all season albeit with occasional flashes of brilliance. We need consistency on offense.

I hope the running game isn't necessary crowd got that out of their system watching tonights game too. You need viable balance at the very least. And an elite RB can be a difference maker when you also have an elite QB. I hope we find a real backup/replacement for Corey. Hopefully the Oline improves dramatically too whether through addition or experience (although depth there should not be an issue). Tonight we lost a game. As long as we don't lose the QB we'll be fine. But I'd really like the bye back and home field in at least week 2 of the playoffs in 2006.

The defense looks more promising going forward than we could have dared hope in week 8. Asante did a 180 - where was that all season. If Rodney makes it back even by mid season, we should be in good shape. BB will always add to the D with both veteran FA's and draftees, so it should only get better barring injury. If Mangini goes there will be another adjustment period though. I think Starks and Poole will be gone, and Ty won't be back. But hopefully CB and S will be shored up between draft picks and FA. We are thin at LB, both viable backups and serious developmental players (who knows on Claridge) in a key position in the BB scheme.

shakadave said:
Does anybody know how we won tiebreaker over Washington (to get 21 instead of 22) when we both got eliminated on the same day? There's not a coin flip is there?

The Pats had an easier schedule than did the Redskins.

Richter said:
I'm not so sure he is there, given his ballhawking ability and the rising draft stock of Texas players. He could be the first safety off the board. And I don't know if the Pats take him even if he is there. If I had to name one guy I think they draft at safety, Roman Harper is the guy that comes to mind. Everything about him screams "Patriots player", from his versatility (plays both safety positions), to his big hitting and willingness to play in the box as a safety, to his great instincts, even if he doesn't have great numbers, just average ones.

I'm pretty sure the dolphins will be thinking hard on him too at 16.

shakadave said:

We have the 21st, according to the Great Blue North Draft Report

MoLewisrocks said:
Don't know what may be available in FA but don't be surprised if Branch replaces Givens as the #2 . . . I hope the running game isn't necessary crowd got that out of their system watching tonights game too.
Yes and yes. I love Branch but he's not a guy who can always get open as a #1 WR. Now, getting one of those won't be easy. But if we could get another Branch and have Watson and Graham fill the bigger, posession role that Givens mostly fills that could work.

I have no clue how much of Dillon's problem was age, blocking or health but something needs to change. Although he had the one nice run, every run last night was basically a wasted play. I honestly wanted them to throw every down and that's not a good place to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back