PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2006 Roster -- First Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Now, this is assuming that Rodney, Light, and Koppen are back active for week one (reasonable assumption) and that nobody goes on IR (ridiculous assumption). People, especially young 'uns, are going to go on IR, which will allow us to keep a few more. After this roster, we have over 20 million left under the cap (Thanks Miguel) to sign the rookies and maybe a veteran who shakes loose from another team (Donnie Edwards, I'm looking in your direction). I'm also assuming none of the other long snappers is consistent enough to take Paxton's job, but I hope I'm wrong.

QB (3): Brady, Cassell, Flutie/Mortenson/Huard/TBA
RB (3): Dillon, Faulk, Maroney
WR (5): Branch, Caldwell, Brown, Jackson, Childress
TE (4): Graham, Watson, Thomas, Mills
C/G (5): Koppen, Hochstein, Neal, Mankins, Mruczkowski/Yates/Tucker/Steitz
T (4): Light, Gorin, Kaczur, O'Callaghan/Britt
K (1): Gostkowski/other
P (1): Miller
LS (1): Paxton

DL (6): Seymour, Green, Warren, Wilfork, Hill, Wright/Thomas
LB (8): Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi, Beisel, Mincey, Davis, 2 of Alexander/Banta-Cain/Izzo/Claridge/Gardner
CB (6): Gay, Samuel, Hobbs, Warfield, Andrews, Poteat/Spann
S (6): Harrison, Hawkins, Wilson, Mitchell, Sanders, Ventrone/K. Jackson/G. Scott

Last cuts include Pass, plus the guys who lose out on the competitions noted above. That's 12 guys, half of which will probably make the team due to IR or PUP situations.

Our return game is in capable hands with Hobbs, Childress, Andrews, and Maroney.

Cover teams feature Davis, Mitchell, Sanders, and the winners of the Linebacker and safety competitions. Special Teams play will be huge in deciding who gets those spots.

dryheat44 said:
Cover teams feature Davis, Mitchell, Sanders, and the winners of the Linebacker and safety competitions. Special Teams play will be huge in deciding who gets those spots.

I think that the desire to get better on Special Teams is one of the clearest messages coming through the personnel moves this off-season. I'm interested, then, why you think that Davis and Mitchell are locks, but not Izzo or Tebucky (who doesn't even figure in the competition at safety). More explanation of your thoughts about Special Teams, please.

I agree with Mike the Brit. I'm no big Tebucky fan, but he's a killer on S/T's and, as shaky as he can be, was a semi-regular in this scheme for two years. I think he's worth keeping for S/T's alone, but his depth helps.

I don't know why we'd be all that excited about Don Davis sticking.

Also, there is no way Lonnie Paxton gets beaten out, not that you're asserting he will, and as much as I'm with you on wanting to have an efficient roster, I don't mind having the BEST NFL long-snapper on our 53. Neither of the draft picks people are excited about has done much long-snapping AT ALL - I believe Thomas has NEVER long-snapped in a game before. No thanks.

Also, Lonnie was the original snow-angel - your callousness in this regard breaks. my. heart.

Mike the Brit said:
I think that the desire to get better on Special Teams is one of the clearest messages coming through the personnel moves this off-season. I'm interested, then, why you think that Davis and Mitchell are locks, but not Izzo or Tebucky (who doesn't even figure in the competition at safety). More explanation of your thoughts about Special Teams, please.

IMO, and just MO, we can only carry a few guys who exist, for all practical purposes, on coverage teams only, especially when you consider only 46 guys dress on Sunday. I think that Davis adds more versatility than Izzo right now and their ST skills seem comparable. Just looking over Mitchell's stats the last couple of years, he looks to be a keeper on STs, plus BB signed him to a pretty good contract, which I think signifies that he's good enough to keep even if he never plays safety.

I think Tebucky's skills have declined to the point where he doesn't improve our safety situation, and he doesn't offer anything on STs that other, younger and cheaper, guys on the roster don't. He had exactly ONE ST tackle last year.

I think Izzo will make the team, if in TC those guys he's in competition with for roster spots prove themselves undependable in the kicking game.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
Now, this is assuming that Rodney, Light, and Koppen are back active for week one (reasonable assumption) and that nobody goes on IR (ridiculous assumption). People, especially young 'uns, are going to go on IR, which will allow us to keep a few more. After this roster, we have over 20 million left under the cap (Thanks Miguel) to sign the rookies and maybe a veteran who shakes loose from another team (Donnie Edwards, I'm looking in your direction). I'm also assuming none of the other long snappers is consistent enough to take Paxton's job, but I hope I'm wrong.

LB (8): Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi, Beisel, Mincey, Davis, 2 of Alexander/Banta-Cain/Izzo/Claridge/Gardner
S (6): Harrison, Hawkins, Wilson, Mitchell, Sanders, Ventrone/K. Jackson/G. Scott

Last cuts include Pass, plus the guys who lose out on the competitions noted above. That's 12 guys, half of which will probably make the team due to IR or PUP situations.

Our return game is in capable hands with Hobbs, Childress, Andrews, and Maroney.

Top notch effort. One small nit, and that is that while I agree Mills makes the team, I bet he'll be listed in with the RBs (He'll be our FB/RB/All purpose/3rd down/fill in TE/kinda dude.:)

patsox23 said:
I agree with Mike the Brit. I'm no big Tebucky fan, but he's a killer on S/T's and, as shaky as he can be, was a semi-regular in this scheme for two years. I think he's worth keeping for S/T's alone, but his depth helps.

I don't know why we'd be all that excited about Don Davis sticking.

Also, there is no way Lonnie Paxton gets beaten out, not that you're asserting he will, and as much as I'm with you on wanting to have an efficient roster, I don't mind having the BEST NFL long-snapper on our 53. Neither of the draft picks people are excited about has done much long-snapping AT ALL - I believe Thomas has NEVER long-snapped in a game before. No thanks.

Also, Lonnie was the original snow-angel - your callousness in this regard breaks. my. heart.

Patsox, you're one of the regs whom I most agree with. I will say though that you can put me down as a Don Davis fan. Great teamer. Great fill in LB. Great, part time strength and cond. assistant.:) Actually, I believe he's one of BBs favorites.

OFFENSE
1) Bethel Johnson is still competing with Childress, as would any fa WR that might be added. Childress is hardly a lock.
2) We drafted a G. I think he has a much better shot to make the team than Yates or Steitz, who have almost no shot. Tucker should be the favorite, since he can back up at several positions, and he has game experience.
3) I have no clue why you think it is a reasonable assumption that Harrison, Light and Koppen will all be active for Game One.

dryheat44 said:

mgteich said:
OFFENSE
1) Bethel Johnson is still competing with Childress, as would any fa WR that might be added. Childress is hardly a lock.
2) We drafted a G. I think he has a much better shot to make the team than Yates or Steitz, who have almost no shot. Tucker should be the favorite, since he can back up at several positions, and he has game experience.
3) I have no clue why you think it is a reasonable assumption that Harrison, Light and Koppen will all be active for Game One.

1) True. I didn't mean to imply Childress was a lock. It's entirely possible we only go with 4 WRs on the roster. All 95 guys are in competition right now.
2) Yates has been with the team for over a year. Steitz has been performing extremely well in NFL Europe. Why would a rookie late-round draft pick be favored to win a roster spot over guys who have spent time in the system? Stevenson looks to be a PS guy to me.
3) Because it seems more reasonable than to assume that they won't be. I don't want to guess a return on players when injury information from Foxboro is non-existant.

dryheat44 said:

8 of 10 draftees on the 53-man roster. I'll take it. :)

I think your comment below is somewhat backward. I think that backup position play will be help determine who wins the special teams positions.

Cover teams feature Davis, Mitchell, Sanders, and the winners of the Linebacker and safety competitions. Special Teams play will be huge in deciding who gets those spots.[/QUOTE]

Roster Structure - Defense and Special Teams

I get confused (it happens with age) when we mix the defensive and special team posiitons. Also, we often have a developmental position or two. I think that we need at most 19 players to play defense. One could logically argue for 1-2 fewer, but I think 19 is a good number.

DL 6 (as you indicate)
LB 6 (the others get almost no reps at LB)
CB 3
S 3
DB 1 (could be either a corner or a safety)

At LB, there is no clear #5 or #6, although I believe it is Banta-Cain and Claridge as of now.
At DB, the seven are likely to be Gay,Samuel,Hobbs,Warfield,Harrison,Wilson, and Hawkins, assuming that Harrison is ready.
------------------------------------------------------
OTHER POSITIONS (EIGHT AVAILABLE)

THE NEXT FOUR
1) Andrews is fighting with Childress and Bethel Johnson for a returner spot. I don't see keeping Childress and Andrews.
2) usally have six special teams positions. You give three to Davis, Mitchell and Sanders. I'm not sure Davis or Mitchell are locks, but I'm fine with the choice.
3) I'd call Mincey a developmental player and argue that we can afford one more, hopefully a DL, but could be a LB.

THE LAST THREE SPECIAL TEAMS POSITIONS
This will be a dog fight. From your list we have the following fighting it out:
the losers of the LB competition (probably Izzo and Gardner), Ventrone, K. Jackson, G. Scott, Poteat, Andrews, and Spann.

Personally, I would expect Izzo, Guss Scott and Tebucky Jones to win this competition with no trouble at all, although Gardner could certainly show us sometuhing in camp.

We have 11 defensive backs, perhasp because we are not willing to guess who will be injured. This will allow another LB t make the squad, with a more normal bottom line structure: 7 DL, 9 LB, 10 DB.
===================================================

I actually did it using a similar method as you. I agree that it's easier to conceptualize that way.

Offensive Players:
1. Brady
2. Cassel
3. Third QB
4. Dillon
5. Faulk
6. Maroney
7. Koppen
8. Neal
9. Mankins
10. Light
11. Kaczur
12. Gorin
13. Hochstein
14. Branch
15. Caldwell
16. Brown
17. Jackson
18. Graham
19. Watson
20. Thomas
21. Mills

Defensive Players
22. Seymour
23. Warren
24. Wilfork
25. Green
26. Vrabel
27. Beisel
28. Colvin
29. Bruschi
30. Samuel
31. Hobbs
32. Gay
33. Warfield
34. Harrison
35. Sanders
36. Wilson
37. Hawkins

Special Teams
38. Kicker
39. Miller
40. Paxton

Those are the guys I feel pretty good about making the team given the current roster.

That leaves 13 slots. The next few are selected as extra depth:

1. A 5th Corner (Spann or Poteat) This is probably gameday inactive, so I like Spann
2. Another defensive lineman. I have Hill, since it costs nearly as much to cut him as keep him.
3. Another Offensive Tackle, either O'Callaghan or Britt, whichever doesn't get injured.
4&5. Two backup linebackers. Special Teams play could break the ties, but they're all competent ST players. I like TBC and Claridge here, but I like Alexander too.
6. Another interior lineman. Pick one.

That leaves 7 more slots, to be filled by STs and projects.
1. Childress for #5 WR and the return game. I think at this point he's a better keeper than Bethel.
2. Andrews. It never hurts to have another returner, so we're not forced to activate Childress on Sundays if it doesn't fit the game plan. Andrews owns every kickoff and punt return record at Baylor. I think he could also develop into a credible nickel back.
3. Mitchell. One of the best gunners in the NFL in recent years. I didn't know that until I read up on him this afternoon, that's how obscure those guys are. It's conceivable that Tebucky could take this slot, but I can't see it. Eric Alexander could too, I suppose, if he doesn't make it as a reserve linebacker.
4. Don Davis. Maybe our best cover linebacker. Has played big safety. Runs the weight room. Fitness freak, good leadership guy, assistant strength coach, but most importantly, a damn fine kick cover guy.
5. Mike Wright. Could go to Santonio Thomas. Another reserve D-lineman. Wright has the versatility of playing NT and DE, and has been experimented with as LB. Also plays STs.
6. G Scott/K Jackson/R Ventrone. All can play the gunner, and all can backup safety. Guys who basically will have the same role as Tebucky, but younger, cheaper, and with more Upside.
7. Mincey. Probably don't want to expose him to P.S. Good developmental player. Could be inactive most games, or used primarily on STs. Also a good candidate to wind up on IR early, allowing for Pass, Izzo, Gardner, Steitz, Mruczkowski, etc. to stick around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye