PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2006 Offense - Lots of Unsigned Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This year's offense is great. Clearly we could use another top wide receiver. However the issue for 2006 is that many players are unsigned. Others have one more year left on their contracts: Koppen, Branch and Graham.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's look at the roster with these nine free agents re-signed
Ashworth,Neal,Brown,Davis,Givens,Dwight,Flutie, Evans and Fauria
We then have an improvement over 2005 (Koppen and Light)
-----------------------------------------------------------
QB Brady,xFlutie,Cassell
RB Dillon,Faulk,Pass
FB xEvans
TE Graham,Watson,xFauria
WR Branch,xGivens,xBrown,xDwight,xDavis,Johnson
OL Light,Mankins,Koppen,Hochstein,Kaczur
xNeal,xAshworth,Gorin,Mruczkowksi/Yates

We also have three practice squad whom could compete for spots
WR Sam
WR Childress
OT Britt
================================================
I'm fine with signing everyone. We'd have an imporved team as the young line develops, and brings back Koppen and Light.
==================================================
Obviously, there are many places where we could improve instead of signing our own free agents. The most obvious is at WR and QB.

mgteich said:
This year's offense is great. Clearly we could use another top wide receiver. However the issue for 2006 is that many players are unsigned. Others have one more year left on their contracts: Koppen, Branch and Graham.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's look at the roster with these nine free agents re-signed
Ashworth,Neal,Brown,Davis,Givens,Dwight,Flutie, Evans and Fauria
We then have an improvement over 2005 (Koppen and Light)
-----------------------------------------------------------
QB Brady,xFlutie,Cassell
RB Dillon,Faulk,Pass
FB xEvans
TE Graham,Watson,xFauria
WR Branch,xGivens,xBrown,xDwight,xDavis,Johnson
OL Light,Mankins,Koppen,Hochstein,Kaczur
xNeal,xAshworth,Gorin,Mruczkowksi/Yates

We also have three practice squad whom could compete for spots
WR Sam
WR Childress
OT Britt
================================================
I'm fine with signing everyone. We'd have an imporved team as the young line develops, and brings back Koppen and Light.
==================================================
Obviously, there are many places where we could improve instead of signing our own free agents. The most obvious is at WR and QB.

I'd like to bring in a young vet RB to possibly take over for Corey in 2007, or sooner pending his health. Jonathan Wells and LaBrandon Toefield (RFA) would be my two top choices -- talented guys that just haven't gotten a real opportunity at being a starting RB.

I agree with your point with regard to RB. I would suspect that the entire draft should be focused on the offense, except for perhaps a DL. There will be plenty of room to draft a running back or two, as well as wide receivers.

mgteich said:
I agree with your point with regard to RB. I would suspect that the entire draft should be focused on the offense, except for perhaps a DL. There will be plenty of room to draft a running back or two, as well as wide receivers.

IMO,most of the draft should be focused to defense. CB, SS, ILB. We should take a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round depending on who is there at the time .

WR is a big need this offseason, as well as CB and Saftey... I dont think Givens will be back... And Troy is going to retire

PATSNUTme said:
IMO,most of the draft should be focused to defense. CB, SS, ILB. We should take a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round depending on who is there at the time .

I agree. I hope that they don't wait until the last minute to try and sign guys like David Givens, and Stephen Neal.

Wrong time to go to the well

mgteich said:

Gee, Why do you want to go to the well to get water when its dry? If you mean signing FAs as opposed to drafting them for Offense, I could agree but this year's skill position offensive players are offensive, they S-T-I-N-K!

The age on this team is on Defense. At LB and this is the LB draft of the decade. BB/SP have complained that LBs coming out haven't measured up to their standards the past few seasons. Why not get them NOW!?

Not worried about the O-line. Dante's proven he can mold (motivated) lumps of clay into quality players there.

Givens we need, or a solid #2 WR in FA. Love to get Brown back for sentimental reasons, plus, hell, he's still the man on 3rd down. Other than that... they're optional IMHO.

What value does Flutie have?

I have no faith in him. We haven't had a legitimate backup since Huard left. I worry about a backup game manager.

Arizona Patsfan said:
The age on this team is on Defense. At LB and this is the LB draft of the decade. BB/SP have complained that LBs coming out haven't measured up to their standards the past few seasons. Why not get them NOW!?

Because the FA window isn't open yet and the draft isn't until April?

Arizona Patsfan said:
Gee, Why do you want to go to the well to get water when its dry? If you mean signing FAs as opposed to drafting them for Offense, I could agree but this year's skill position offensive players are offensive, they S-T-I-N-K!

I agree a great looking LB class in 06. I have no doudt that they draft at least 1 lb on day one. However BB/SP seem to like getting LB via FA as opposed to the draft.
Also and I know this may sound nuts but don't I would'nt be surprized if they drafted yet another TE with the first pick. BB loves the mismatch mutlibleTE present and CF I wouldn't think will be on the team in 2006. So we will need a third TE anyway. Then we could always move BW around. Put him in the slot or out wide etc...
Leonard Pope from UGA 6'7" 250 Lbs and Vernon Davis 6'3" 250 and fast from Maryland. Both are juniors who will probably declare, could end up and our radar screen. TB could end up having a field day with all the mismatches that this would present.

NOWAKJOE said:
Also and I know this may sound nuts but don't I would'nt be surprized if they drafted yet another TE with the first pick. .... TB could end up having a field day with all the mismatches that this would present.
Let me think ... yes ... I'm pretty sure I've heard that before. If they can't get mismatches with Graham and Watson, then who?

No, I'd rather see us draft at LB and DB and RB.

PK Sam will make the roster next year. Book it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back