PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2006 Miami Hurricane Draftable Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rene Vallieres

On the Roster
Reaction score
My beloved Hurricanes haven't as much to offer the NFL this year, compared to years past. But here's what's available later this month.

Sinorice Moss - WR
I submitted a long post earlier on Sinorice. If you're interested, you can check it out. To summarize, he is a local Miami kid. Not as good as his brother Santana. He had a hard time getting on the field until this past year. He caught more passes this year than his previous 3, combined. Ran a 4.39 at the combine, and didn't run at his pro-day. He had a vertical of 42" and 10'3" broad jump at his pro-day. Only 5'8, 180lbs. Was hurt in 2004. He will struggle early in his career. Can return punts and kickoffs. Sometimes he has trouble getting open. I just don't think he's worth a 1st Rd pick, but someone will probably take him there. Please pray that it's not the Pats. He has Bethel Johnson written all over him.

Eric Winston - OT
He's big and fast (6'6", 318, 4.98) but not the strongest guy for an OT (22 reps). Agile (33" vert. and 8'3" jump). Was a TE as a freshman, but Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow were already here and they switched him to LT. Robert Gallery-type body, but I can't see him at LT for an NFL team. At the FSU game in 2005, the DE blew right past him on several occasions. (Maybe he could get there after a few years at RT, where he is better suited at the next level.) He is tall for a guard, but he is so fast and quick he would be ideal as a G in pulling situations IMHO. On the other hand, he may not be able to handle the road graders until his technique improves, so RT would be the place for him.. Someone may want him in the 1st rd, but probably more like the 2nd for him.

Kelly Jennings - CB
He looks like he could be a great corner, but (as always), looks can be deceiving. Had a great combine (4.43, 12 reps, 40" vert., 3.96 SS, and 6.88 3-cone). He's 6', 175-180. Looked good in the drills, but having watched him at the U, he's a boom or bust type. Not just in general, but on every play. He has a propensity for getting beat deep. Also, he gives up a ton of yards in front of him and he simply can't tackle. He's a bump-you-out-of-bounds-with-the shoulder-type. I continually read on the draft sites about how this kid is a great cover corner. I've watched every Hurricane game on TV or at the Orange Bowl since 1979 and I must have been out for a cuban sandwich and a cafe con leche each time he actually covered somone successfully 1 on 1, because I have little memory of that. He did have a few great games, but does Wake Forest Florida A&M, and Duke count?? I am ill at the prospect of him being a patriot. I know BB was talking to him at the combine.

Marcus Maxey - CB/S
I just submitted a long post on him. He is a player that BB should strongly consider. Great kid. Larry Coker used him everywhere in the defensive backfield. Top notch ST'er. If the Pats want him they may have to get him with pick 3B or maybe 4A, as he is moving up. Well worth it. The only true patriot type among this UM class.

Orien Harris - DT
Wouldn't last 5 minutes as a patriot. The ability is there, but he is LAZY and unmotivated. Don't believe the write-ups about him. (5.2, 25 reps, 30"vert., 0 motivation). Decent run stopper, but for him, it's too long a trip to get to the QB. If he had 5 sacks his entire career, I'd fall over dead. But he looks good, so someone will take him in the 3rd or 4th rd. He's a future practice squad player, then NFLE allocation, followed by the Arena League, and finally, tackling dummy.

Devin Hester - WR, CB, ST
Oh Devin.... what a puzzlement. I also posted a long one on him. He's 5'11", 185, 6.78 3-cone, and ran a 4.28 at his pro-day, 4.4 at the combine. Can't put into words how great he is as a punt returner and KO man. More moves than anyone can imagine. (When he is not ding'ed-up, which is often.) No major injuries, but when he gets hit, he hurts. (Although I must say, this kid fears no man or beast). Unfortunately, he has no position. Can't catch very well, (especially in traffic) so they switched him to CB and, as it turns out, can't defend or tackle either. Relies on his speed for everything he does. A ST'er only, but not to cover punts and KO's, only to return them.

Quadrine Hill - FB/RB(?)
Good Kid, was hurt a lot. We used him as a FB, but will have to gain weight as a Pro. Great pass-catcher. 6'2, 220, 4.5, 16 reps, 38" vert. Maybe a ST'er only.

Rashad Butler - OT
We had high hopes. Started out strong, but faded last year. I see him on the first day on one draft site!!!, but he should go undrafted. The only time they called his number was for a holding or false start penalty.

Leon Williams - LB
Never understood why he wasn't another Jonathan Vilma. Has ability and the tools, but just always came up short when it mattered most. Not a patriot type, despite one or 2 write-ups to the contrary.

Thomas Carroll - LB
See Leon Williams, above. Also, unlike Williams, Thomas can't run. He did a 4.86 at his pro-day. At 6'4" 239, he just couldn't cut it at the U.

Javon Nanton - DE
Undersized, slow, no heart. Only saw spot duty at the U.

Tony Tella - G
6'5", 298, 5.43. Nothing spectacular, but did well at the U. Played hard for us.

Greg Threat - S
6'0", 197, 4.6, 35" vert. only 10 reps. We thought he was another Sean Taylor, at first, but never quite got it at the U. Inconsistent but usually around the ball. Big disappointment for us.

All-in-all, a very weak crop...but next year we have some 1st round studs.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like much of a match with the Pats. I think Moss might be worth considering if he's still there in round 2, or even 3a. But he probably won't be.

I like Winson, but I don't think he will be on the Pats' radar in the first 2 rounds, which is where he'll go.

I don't know much about Maxey, but I would rather have Will Blacmon from BC. He's a similar type of player and will probably go in the same part of the draft. But he's got some really good return skills.

Ouch Rene, you are really hard on some of these players. Let me ask you this. A lot of these guys were high school superstars. Why didn't they play up to their potential at the U? Where is the missing ingredient? Is it Coker? Is it the assistant coaches? Are the expectations from previous year sof super draftables just too high?

One word on Threat. He could probably have started for 116 other division 1 schools, but unfortunately Mariweather plays the same position as he does. Mariweather is probably a middle first rounder next year, barring injury. I wouldn't be hard on a guy because a superstar beat him out. He could be a draft sleeper.

Interesting read Rene. Maxey made one of my boards and he got lost in all the shuffle. Your write-up does a better job of explaining the statistics I saw and gives me a much greater appreciation for his potential.

I have no problem with taking Winston because I want him to play behind Light and Kaczur as swing tackle learning the ropes the way Nick did last year. I'd be happy with either Winston or Boise's Colledge in that role, but I suspect Colledge to have the inside edge on the Pats' boards.

Jennings made my board based on the write-ups, thanks for the perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back