Franchise $4,109,000
Transition $3,592,000

Tight end
Franchise $3,327,000
Transition $2,718,000

Punter/kicker
Franchise $2,468,000
Transition $2,045,000

Who picks the position? There is a huge difference between Richard Seymour, our DT, and Richard Seymour, our DE!

PatsWorldChamps said:
Who picks the position? There is a huge difference between Richard Seymour, our DT, and Richard Seymour, our DE!
And, yet, the more easily differentiable OL positions are all grouped together. It's a definite flaw in the system.

Last edited:
It won't be too hard to keep Adam again.

Adam's franchise tag number will be his current salary plus 20%, not the franchise tag number listed here.

There are positions where you would have to be insane to use the franchise tag. Guard would be one of those. The Colts would have to be nuts to give their #2 WR, Reggie Wayne, franchise tag money.

PATSNUTme said:
It won't be too hard to keep Adam again.
I'm tired of this crap with Adam. He's going to cost almost $3M more than a FA kicker and it's too damn much. We could re-sign Givens for that or close the gap with Seymour. I love Adam but it's time to move on.

PatsWorldChamps said:

If the numbers remain the same next year, it would not matter what position Seymour was classified under because a 20% raise over his 2006 cap number (or $8.9 million) is greater than the franchise number for both the DE and the DT position.

A 3-4 end like Richard Seymour has been in the past classified as a DE when it comes to the franchise numbers.

BelichickFan said:
I'm tired of this crap with Adam. He's going to cost almost $3M more than a FA kicker and it's too damn much. We could re-sign Givens for that or close the gap with Seymour. I love Adam but it's time to move on.

Where do you come up with 3MM more? DO you really want to see a lousy FA kicker? I am tired of people thinking that this team would have possibly enjoyed the success it has without AV or it would see any further successes moving forward, without having the greatest clutch kicker of all time on our team. Did you not see proof positive in Indy this year? Can you even spell W-i-d-e R-i-g-h-t?

Why jeopardize a game, a season, a playoff win or a Superbowl win over a lousy 1/2 or 1MM dollars (to me that is the difference between AV and a decent kicker, if we can find one).

PAY the kicker what he is worth for as long as he kicks them straight and true - Now, you may move on.

fgssand said:
Where do you come up with 3MM more?
If we franchise him again he's looking at something like $3.2M (20% increase). A free agent quality kicker would get the league minimum, I forget what that is now but I think it's $350K or along those lines. That almost a $3M savings.

Do you believe that we should just a kicker with one or two years experience and that this wouldn't be much of a step down from Adam? In that case, cutting him is a slam dunk, and should have been last year. The reality is that the team would pay $1-$2m for one of the free agent kickers. The savings is still considerable.

BelichickFan said:
If we franchise him again he's looking at something like $3.2M (20% increase). A free agent quality kicker would get the league minimum, I forget what that is now but I think it's $350K or along those lines. That almost a $3M savings.

mgteich said:
Do you believe that we should just a kicker with one or two years experience and that this wouldn't be much of a step down from Adam?
Honestly, I'm not sure what I think. Because I do love Adam. But we have a lot of FA coming up. I could see overpaying him for one more year then moving on when more of our guys become FA. But if there's a good kicker in the draft this year I would consider using one of our many mid round picks on one, signing a guy like Nick Novak to compete and using the savings elsewhere.

BelichickFan said:

If we sign him up long term, the cap cost will ne nowhere close to 3.2MM.

BelichickFan said:
The Patriots were tied for 17th in the league in FG% by the way :

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/stati...ort=fg%&pos=off&league=nfl&season=2&year=2005

Show me the stats for field goal made to tie or win a game in the regular season.

Show me the same numbers for playoff field goals.

Show me the same stats for Superbowls.

I suppose we should also pick up free agent DB's, rookie DL's and WR's - then you can have all the cap savings you want. I would bet you also think keeping Richard Seymour is not worth it either. How about Tom Brady, shouldn't we get rid of him as well, so we can save cap dollars??

When you have one of the all time best, I think it wise to keep him right here in Foxboro.

Do you really want to be in the position that the Colts had this year - you KNOW AV makes that kick, without a doubt, 100% certainty - AV = money.

There would be considerable doubt and most assuredly little chance of success if your FA or rookie kicker was attemtpting the game winning kick. Do you really want to go through game after game, kick after kick wondering and worrying? Talk to the Colts, Bills or Jets fans and let me know what they tell you about kickers. the savings is just not that much.

fgssand said:
If we sign him up long term, the cap cost will ne nowhere close to 3.2MM.
Evidently we aren't able to get it done for a reasonable price.

fgssand said:
Show me the stats for field goal made to tie or win a game in the regular season.

Show me the same numbers for playoff field goals.

Show me the same stats for Superbowls.
From a quick look I couldn't find them but he's missed three playoff FG right off the top of my head, this year in Denver and two in the Super Bowl vs. Carolina. Despite what some people think, he doesn't make every kick in the playoffs.

Look, I like the guy but $2M is the absolute top I would pay him, probably more like $1.5M. I don't want to lose guys like Seymour and Branch, or even Givens or Graham, because our kicker is making too much money.

BelichickFan said:
Evidently we aren't able to get it done for a reasonable price.

I really think the hold up was his agent being suspended.
I also think the deal gets done and we wil all be very happy.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
From a quick look I couldn't find them but he's missed three playoff FG right off the top of my head, this year in Denver and two in the Super Bowl vs. Carolina. Despite what some people think, he doesn't make every kick in the playoffs.

Look, I like the guy but $2M is the absolute top I would pay him, probably more like $1.5M. I don't want to lose guys like Seymour and Branch, or even Givens or Graham, because our kicker is making too much money.

Right, he only makes them when it counts....as in winning playoff or Superbowl games.

fgssand said:
Right, he only makes them when it counts....as in winning playoff or Superbowl games.
His miss two weeks ago counted. To me it did, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back