PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2006 Draft Possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickw308810

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I know the draft is a long way away but this is how we could go with some of our top picks.
ILB
If players like Virginia's Brooks and Parham declare, or Penn States Posluszny we could go ILB. Also trading up for one isn't out of the possibility if Hawk or Greenway slide.
DB
Secondary help could come in Michael Huff or Jimmy Williams in a trade up, or stay put and take someone like Landry, Bing, or Ko Simpson at S, or Cromartie or Zemaitis at CB. There are a lot of good CBs in the draft now so good ones could slip. Richard Marshall would be a steal in round 2 or 3. And you know we have to be interested in the triple threat talents in Will Blackmon and Devin Hester, who again should be in that late 2 early 3 area. Charles Gordon and Ashton Youboty declaring also improves our chances at getting a high DB. This year's class is stacked.
RB
If one of Laurence Maroney, LenDale White, or DeAngelo Williams lasts until our pick then this could be the direction we go as well. Joseph Addai wouldn't be a bad pickup in the 3rd. I also like Dontrell Moore and Andre Hall. Good backs could slip if players like Brian Calhoun and Michael Bush decide to leave early.
OLB
Manny Lawson and Elvis Dumerville both look like last 1st round DEs who would fit well in the 3-4 OLB. Darryl Tapp maybe. I wouldn't mind taking a late round flier on Pierre Woods or Parys Haralson. Unless someone like Lawson fell into our laps in round 2 I doubt we use a high pick here.
OL
Neal was dissapointing against Jacksonville, but he is still a good player. Depth at OG would be good if someone like Charles Spencer or Mark Setterstrom slipped into round 3. I would prefer someone like Davin Joseph who could play OG and OT. At first I wanted a high pick at OT, but I figure with Light at left and Kaczur at right we will be fine, especially with Ashworth and Gorin as backups.
WR
There aren't many top of the line WR prospects like there has been in the last few years. However there is great depth at the position where solid players can be had in the middle rounds. I really like Greg Lee of Pittsburgh, but he could be a fast riser. Todd Watkins, Mike Haas, and many others could be had much lower than they should go. We could use a 1st rounder here, but I don't see why when there is so many quality players but no studs.
NT, TE, and QB could all be late draft picks. I would like a running QB to add another dimension to our team on like 2 point conversions and such, since Cassell is developing to be our pocket passing backup behind Brady. Brad Smith would be my choice, but there are plenty in this draft.

I like Youboty, and I think he fits our style. Physical playmaker.

If we dont have a shot at Posluszny, I'd want Ryans, who by all accounts was the undisputed leader of his Alabama squad.

I like Ryans, but do you think he is a little small for the 3-4? Much better 4-3 player.

Good analysis of the Pats need, I also think that they should go with Manny Lawson, and Daryl Tapp for OLB and for WR Martin Nance from Miami-Ohio. many draft boards have them going in the 2nd round, we can still address the CB, and OL during the 3rd round and later rounds. I believe FA is a big key next football year we need help with CB (maybe Law, Woodson) and a good WR or not depending on how things shape up this season. That's my wish list.

I believe we will either go with CB or S, or ideally, a player who can do both, fitting the form of a Eugene Wilson-type player. If you follow what Belichick did after the 9-7 season, I think it is clear we will be going with a defensive back in the first round, unless we sign a top-tier FA. Admittedly, I haven't seen enough college FB games as I have been in France for all of the fall (really hard to see any games there, so all I can do it check out stats). Any recommendations? I have seen Youbouty's name mentioned before, and I really like the S out of USC (Bing? I think that's his name).

I like your analysis of our needs. A couple of things however.

ILB. Parham has the size and strength to play in our defense. He has trouble shedding and tends to get lost in the wash, hung up in garbage. He should be available at #64.

If healthy, I love Brooks. He is a prototypical Pats ILB.

Secondary. I'm not a Cromartie fan and I think Zematis lacks the quicks and speed to play CB in our defense. Yoboty got burned a ton this year, I'm gunshy on him.
The safties you mentioned, Landry and Ko are simply ourstanding. Ko is incredible. I doubt either is there when we pick, but I like both of them.

RB. I like Addia. He lacks the wow factor that others have, but does everything else well AND he plays special teams. This is a BB kind of guy, of course he is also a Saban and Crennel kind of guy.

OL. Setterstrom is a technical wizard on running plays, but he lacks pass blocking skills and he is under 300 lbs. He could easily get bull rushed in the NFL.

I predict we will all be pissed on draft day. The Pats will trade down
with some crappy team like Detroit and pick up their 2 and 1 in 07.
Will still be able to get the olb we could use. I agree with BradyAlright.
I like Manny Lawson. Eventual replacement for Willie. Could go rb if
we like one of them in round 1. I like the 3 guys after Bush. Hunch
L.White gone by the time we pick. I like the Maroney kid from Minnesota.
He had a tremendous game against Ohio St this year. And, they had
a tremendous defense. Only game he struggled was against PSU and
Happy Valley was not kind to opposing offenses this year.

Our picks last year were 32,84,100 and 133. This year we pick
at 21,52,75,86 the first 3 rounds. Assume about 8 supp picks after
round 3. Then, we would pick about 112,125 and 143. That's 7
picks compared to 4 last year in the Top 150. Chance to have a
a great draft. Of course, I'm hoping we pick at 32!!

nickw308810 said:
I like Ryans, but do you think he is a little small for the 3-4? Much better 4-3 player.

Yeah, that's true; he's light to play LB in a 3-4.

He'd either need to add weight or shift to SS. But that works for me, too.

Really, I'd be drafting him for his leadership ability, physicality and attitude, not for any given position. I just think he's a player, and BB will find a way to use him.

At 6'1.5" and weighing around 215-220 lbs. I doubt Ryans would last long in a 3-4. He is prototypical as a 4-3 WLB, especially with his speed and insticts.

Virginia's Parham goes 6'2" and about 245-250 lbs. While still a little small for what BB prefers, it's still big enough to take on OGs and FBs and TEs. Depending on how he runs, he could be a good second round pick for us.

Another option at OLB is the DE from Syracuse Wyche. He's a run stopping upgrade over TBC, but not the pure speed rusher that TBC is. With a year on the bench as an under study, he could be ready to step up when Willie retires.

Ochmed Jones said:
At 6'1.5" and weighing around 215-220 lbs. I doubt Ryans would last long in a 3-4. He is prototypical as a 4-3 WLB, especially with his speed and insticts.

Virginia's Parham goes 6'2" and about 245-250 lbs. While still a little small for what BB prefers, it's still big enough to take on OGs and FBs and TEs. Depending on how he runs, he could be a good second round pick for us.

Another option at OLB is the DE from Syracuse Wyche. He's a run stopping upgrade over TBC, but not the pure speed rusher that TBC is. With a year on the bench as an under study, he could be ready to step up when Willie retires.

Wyche is a great prospect. The fact that Syracuse was so bad this year could only help. With more exposure, this kid would probably be a late first rounder.

dryheat44 said:
Wyche is a great prospect. The fact that Syracuse was so bad this year could only help. With more exposure, this kid would probably be a late first rounder.

Another vote for Wyche (from the other SU alum), the Pats do need another Orangemen oops, I sorry Orange. They haven't been the same since they let Tebucky go.

KO Simpson(Safety) USC is an awesome special player.Being down here in SC and being a USC fan I have seen KO in both High school and college. He is a ball hawk and a big run stopper who can lay the wood. They are projecting him as a 2nd rounder and If we could grab him we would have someone special. Had the USC defense been better he would have been able to shine more but he was a 1 man wrecking crew. I hope he is there and we have a chance to take him!!!!

Ko Simpson is a FS and we have Eugene Wilson there, not a good pick. I haven't seen you guys talk about a need that could be huge, WR. David Givens is "as good as gone" according to Michael Felger - Boston Herald writer. Tim Dwight is a free agent and isn't much of a WR, same said with Andre Davis. Troy Brown also a free agent, will probably retire. Well that leaves us with Branch and Johnson. Jeez. Picking at pick 21 Santonio Holmes, Ohio State could drop to us. He's 5-11 185 and fits this system perfectly with his speed and hands, he could be our pick on April 29th.

LENDALE WHITE!

Trade up and get Lendale White!!!! That is all.

History shows that Belichick never trades up, White is going to be gone, he's going to the Packers at pick 5.

Except when he did trade up for Daniel Graham.

And Ty Warren. And Bethel Johnson. Et cetera.

Although I do believe that White will be taken so high (probably, like you said, by the Packers), that we won't be able to get him even if we do trade up a bit.

We didn't trade up for Warren, he was our extra pick when we trade Bledsoe. Bethel Johnson we didn't trade up for either, We traded up for Eugene Wilson. I should say Belichick doesn't trade up a huge number of picks.

We traded up one spot for Warren. Which isn't much, I will admit. But we did trade from 14 to 13 with the Bears.

My bad on Johnson.

I guess I should say that I think we'll trade up if BB/SP think we have to to get the guy they want. I don't think they'll refuse to trade up on principle.

Oh ya 1 spot, haha. I agree with you though. The Pats tried to trade up for Mark Clayton last year but the Ravens didn't want to do it.

Dryheat44 has a good call on Wyche. He can be converted to OLB within a year. He'll need to learn coverage, but I think he could be a player in our scheme. Another 6th or 7th round conversion project would be Reid of KU. With 25 LBS. and two years of understudy work, He could move to ILB and make it in our system.

Lendale White. Stay away from this guy. He does not fit the Pats profile. He is not a hard worker or film studier. He is not versatile and not noted as a team player. He may have short term success, but then his act will wear thin. Think a youngerr version of RB Lewis of Baltimore. (PS: Unless he has a super stellar OL, he won't rack up 2000 yards.)

Ko Simpson. The best playmaking DB in the draft. I've said many times that Wilson was my biggest disappointment this year. I know Wilson had an arm injury of some type, but he did not come up with the big play in 2006.
With 10 lbs. of muscle, Simpson could play SS. In my opinion a rookie he would be better at SS than Hawkins, Gus Scott, Stone and Sanders. However unless Sanders disappoints, I beleive BB has him as the SS of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots