PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2006 a defense led draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep_FLA

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
The patriots are set up to make a killing in this defensive bonanza draft. Trading out of last years weak draft and stock piling picks for this year was brilliant. A mid 1st round for us is like Christmas in April. I would expect BB/SP to trade this pick up for Bobby Carpenter or down a couple for a Manny Lawson.
From there its trading up and down each round for targeted picks on the defensive side of the ball. DE/LB/SS and a CB. I expect these to be the day one picks.

To do this effectively we need to address WR/RB thru FA. The Patriots are in absolutely prime position to make this a banner defensive draft with 9, possibly 10 picks. Yeah! :rocker:

As the Guinness guys say: "Brilliant!","Brilliant!"

BRILLIANT! LOL Thanx, Shirtsleeve

Feep_FLA said:
The patriots are set up to make a killing in this defensive bonanza draft. Trading out of last years weak draft and stock piling picks for this year was brilliant. A mid 1st round for us is like Christmas in April. I would expect BB/SP to trade this pick up for Bobby Carpenter or down a couple for a Manny Lawson.
From there its trading up and down each round for targeted picks on the defensive side of the ball. DE/LB/SS and a CB. I expect these to be the day one picks.

To do this effectively we need to address WR/RB thru FA. The Patriots are in absolutely prime position to make this a banner defensive draft with 9, possibly 10 picks. Yeah! :rocker:

Who do we cut to make room for an additional 10 defensive players?

I'm including those under contract who were injured.

Just asking.

They won't use all 9...... they'll be trding up and down each pick. I imagine them with 7 picks total.

Feep_FLA said:
They won't use all 9...... they'll be trding up and down each pick. I imagine them with 7 picks total.

You know they've been looking at offensive linemen according to the press.

My take: We've got 5 young defensive backs, (not including Stone). I could see one more, 2 tops. Otherwise returning injured vets or F.A.

We will have three running backs over 30 in a year or so. I personally think an Olineman high and 2 Rb's between 2nd and 4th rounds.

Only a backup nose tackle has a chance on the DL, (If we draft a DE it's a future linebacker.

On to linebacker. Nobody cracks our starting lineup. So one or two max, (including our 5th rounder from last year) and possibly none if we find a vet we like.

Throw in a mid-round WR, and I think we use 4 picks for offense out of our first 6 picks.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
You know they've been looking at offensive linemen according to the press.

Throw in a mid-round WR, and I think we use 4 picks for offense out of our first 6 picks.

Very popular thoughts. But since when did BB and the Pats say absolutely ANYTHING relevent about ANYTHING to, around, or whithin sniffing distance of the press? That O line stuff is all BB smoke and mirrors. How many times do they gotta do that "wow look over there!" gag before everyone stops looking?

See, I was car shopping last week. There were two dealerships. All had fine, new cars. Except lot O had all Yugos this year, though I know they're gonna be carrying BMW's next year for the same price. Across the street at lot D they're selling Mercedes at the same price as the Yugos across the street. So I bought the Mercedes this year, and will go back to Lot O next year when it will be full of BMW's. But I didnt want my neighbors to know where I bought my Mercedes before I did it, so I kept on going to the Yugo lot down the road from my house until it was time to buy. Everyone thought I was gonna actually BUY a Yugo! Imagine their surprise!

We wil probably get a couple of late round Comp picks. I don't think that we will use 11 picks this year. However, unlike list year this is a much deeper draft except at WR.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if we go for a OL or 2, RB, and WR somewhere. But the real depth is on the defensive side where we can take a young corner, safety, LB, and one of our biggest needs is a backup to Big Vince.

Shopping is always more fun when you have a lot of money to spend...I'm sure we'll set a little aside for a rainy day in the future to make later years fun shopping too.

shirtsleeve said:
Very popular thoughts. But since when did BB and the Pats say absolutely ANYTHING relevent about ANYTHING to, around, or whithin sniffing distance of the press? That O line stuff is all BB smoke and mirrors. How many times do they gotta do that "wow look over there!" gag before everyone stops looking?

See, I was car shopping last week. There were two dealerships. All had fine, new cars. Except lot O had all Yugos this year, though I know they're gonna be carrying BMW's next year for the same price. Across the street at lot D they're selling Mercedes at the same price as the Yugos across the street. So I bought the Mercedes this year, and will go back to Lot O next year when it will be full of BMW's. But I didnt want my neighbors to know where I bought my Mercedes before I did it, so I kept on going to the Yugo lot down the road from my house until it was time to buy. Everyone thought I was gonna actually BUY a Yugo! Imagine their surprise!

I'd advise a change of neighborhood. You'll live longer and happier!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back