Welcome to PatsFans.com

2006 a defense led draft...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Feep_FLA, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Feep_FLA

Feep_FLA Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The patriots are set up to make a killing in this defensive bonanza draft. Trading out of last years weak draft and stock piling picks for this year was brilliant. A mid 1st round for us is like Christmas in April. I would expect BB/SP to trade this pick up for Bobby Carpenter or down a couple for a Manny Lawson.
    From there its trading up and down each round for targeted picks on the defensive side of the ball. DE/LB/SS and a CB. I expect these to be the day one picks.

To do this effectively we need to address WR/RB thru FA. The Patriots are in absolutely prime position to make this a banner defensive draft with 9, possibly 10 picks. Yeah! :rocker:

2. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As the Guinness guys say: "Brilliant!","Brilliant!"

3. Feep_FLA

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BRILLIANT! LOL Thanx, Shirtsleeve

4. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +968 / 7 / -14

#75 Jersey

Who do we cut to make room for an additional 10 defensive players?

I'm including those under contract who were injured.

Just asking.

5. Feep_FLA

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They won't use all 9...... they'll be trding up and down each pick. I imagine them with 7 picks total.

6. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +968 / 7 / -14

#75 Jersey

You know they've been looking at offensive linemen according to the press.

My take: We've got 5 young defensive backs, (not including Stone). I could see one more, 2 tops. Otherwise returning injured vets or F.A.

We will have three running backs over 30 in a year or so. I personally think an Olineman high and 2 Rb's between 2nd and 4th rounds.

Only a backup nose tackle has a chance on the DL, (If we draft a DE it's a future linebacker.

On to linebacker. Nobody cracks our starting lineup. So one or two max, (including our 5th rounder from last year) and possibly none if we find a vet we like.

Throw in a mid-round WR, and I think we use 4 picks for offense out of our first 6 picks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  7. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Very popular thoughts. But since when did BB and the Pats say absolutely ANYTHING relevent about ANYTHING to, around, or whithin sniffing distance of the press? That O line stuff is all BB smoke and mirrors. How many times do they gotta do that "wow look over there!" gag before everyone stops looking?

See, I was car shopping last week. There were two dealerships. All had fine, new cars. Except lot O had all Yugos this year, though I know they're gonna be carrying BMW's next year for the same price. Across the street at lot D they're selling Mercedes at the same price as the Yugos across the street. So I bought the Mercedes this year, and will go back to Lot O next year when it will be full of BMW's. But I didnt want my neighbors to know where I bought my Mercedes before I did it, so I kept on going to the Yugo lot down the road from my house until it was time to buy. Everyone thought I was gonna actually BUY a Yugo! Imagine their surprise!

8. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +254 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

We wil probably get a couple of late round Comp picks. I don't think that we will use 11 picks this year. However, unlike list year this is a much deeper draft except at WR.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if we go for a OL or 2, RB, and WR somewhere. But the real depth is on the defensive side where we can take a young corner, safety, LB, and one of our biggest needs is a backup to Big Vince.

9. The Gr8est

The Gr8est In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0

Shopping is always more fun when you have a lot of money to spend...I'm sure we'll set a little aside for a rainy day in the future to make later years fun shopping too.

10. marty

marty In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'd advise a change of neighborhood. You'll live longer and happier!!! ;)