PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2005 redux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This is like 2005 when the defense sucked and Brady had to win games by himself, only he has more weapons than 05 or last year which is why I'm confident in winning a lot of close shootouts. We didn't have the versatility in the offense last year and Brady was also injured half the time and didn't have the fire under him that he has this year.

We're going to lose games but I'm confident that this is a 10-11 win team and the defense can only get better. Will it be a top 10 defense, probably not, but it can be "good enough."

I've said this before, but I'll repeat it: Our absolute floor is the 2004 Colts. All offense, little to no defense. Our ceiling is the 2009 Saints. Great offense, defense that makes just enough plays when it needs to in order to win the game. If the former happens, we're probably looking at getting bounced in the Wild Card or Divisional round. If the latter happens, then New Orleans showed last year that that can be a Super Bowl formula. Knock on wood...

I thought the 2005 defense was more of that New England had a million injuries on defense that season. I can't remember, I wasn't into football full-time until 2006.

This is a very young defense, but talented.

IMO, the mistake the coaching staff is making with them s being too cautious and it is hurting them....

They need to begin allowing the defense to gamble, with more defensive schemes aimed at putting a lot more pressure on quarterbacks in almost every passing situation that comes up.

By not doing that, they are, again IMO, causing more harm than anything in the minds of the young secondary.

Also, once again the defensive philosophy is drifting back to the very soft 10 plus yard cusions on the corner. Junk that philosophy. Bring em up, let em make some contact and then gain some confidence with the help of some defensive line stunting, linembacker blitz packages that come up the middle, and an occasional safety blitz from to heavy hitters, Meriwether and Chung.

They have got to get away for this soft, cautious type defense and gamble more.... it will be the best thing they can do.

:ugh: You have a selective reading problem don't you, mav? In 2009, this was statistically one of top five blitz heavy defenses in the NFL. That hasn't changed this season. Use the eye test next time we play or read up on it. This defense blitzes quite a bit. Those blitzes are just not getting there.

:ugh: You have a selective reading problem don't you, mav? In 2009, this was statistically one of top five blitz heavy defenses in the NFL. That hasn't changed this season. Use the eye test next time we play or read up on it. This defense blitzes quite a bit. Those blitzes are just not getting there.

Do you really think he's Mav? He doesn't seem like as much of a despicable ******* as Mav was, but it's strange that he doesn't seem to deny it either.

By the end of 2005 the defense was playing well. They did a very good job in the playoffs. It was the offense and STs that blew it in Denver. So yeah, if they can trend like that it would be great.

Last edited:
Meriweather and Chung seemed to blitz a good amount yesterday...a couple of times it was into run plays so it may not have looked like a blitz.

I don't think we'll be able to reach 2009 Saints D level, they were a turnover causing machine.

Do you really think he's Mav? He doesn't seem like as much of a despicable ******* as Mav was, but it's strange that he doesn't seem to deny it either.

I don't know, but I think he is certainly in the ballpark although his issues seem to be with coordinators/coaching in general and the fact that Kontra keeps confronting him about it and he doesn't rise to the bait is getting more and more telling...

I don't know, but I think he is certainly in the ballpark although his issues seem to be with coordinators/coaching in general and the fact that Kontra keeps confronting him about it and he doesn't rise to the bait is getting more and more telling...

Good morning, Mo. Yeah, it's pretty weird. I mean, he's consistently irrational like Mav was, but not so hateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes