PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2004 Patriots - What a team!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifer

Banned
Reaction score
Ive been watching the Colts and Steelers playoff games from 2004 the last few nights and it really made me appreciate how great that team was, and how it was clearly a better team than last years team. That team had amazing balance, sure it wasnt as flashy at WR with Moss and Welker, but the OL was solid, Corey Dillon was a monster that year, Brady was Brady, Branch and Givens were so clutch, we were 3 deep at TE with Watson,Graham, and Fauria. The DL was 4 years younger, at LB we had Brushci and TJ in the middle, with McGinest, Colvin, Vrabel, and Pfifer on the outside!!! Samuel was young and hungry, Rodney was at his peak, and Belichick and Mangini had Gay and Troy Brown and Eugen Wilson and Poteat and Moreland working miracles.

They just CRUSHED the Colts at home 20-3 and CRUSHED the Steelers at Heinz, up 24-3 and 31-10 before winning 41-27. They were at the top of their game and kings of the NFL having won 34 of 38 games over 2 years.

This is not about dumping on what we have now, but its just to appeciate just how great that team was. A brain fart by Brady in Miami and Dillon and Branch being injured for the Halloween game, and that team could have been the undefeated one.

Im really thankful for DVD players and VCRs

Last edited:
They also had the toughest road to the championship. Beat the Colts in the divisional round (record-setting offensive season at the team and big time SB favorites), beat the Steelers (also SB favorites and had the best record at 15-1) at Heinz Field, and beat a rejuvenated NFC juggernaut in the Eagles in the Super Bowl. That Patriots team dominated in all phases of the game.

The 2004 team is probably the most complete team the Pats ever had. Even with the injuries in the secondary that knocked out both starting CBs by midseason, there really wasn't a weakness in the entire team.

Last year's offense was better than 2004 and 2003's defense was better than it's 2004 counterpart, but both those teams have weaknesses on the other side of the ball.

2004 was a great year.

I might be mistaken, but didn't Watson get hurt early in the season and only play in one contest?

2004 was a great year.

I might be mistaken, but didn't Watson get hurt early in the season and only play in one contest?

Yes, that is correct.

Didnt they set an NFL record of best combined winning pct of playoff opponents of any superbowl winner in NFL history between Indy, Pitt and Philly

I would have to agree with everything the OP stated. Law and Poole went down but somehow, someway, Asante and Gay stepped up.

But by then, people knew the Pats were money. Pittsburgh was 15-1 and we walked in there a 1 point favorite at Heinze.

Does anyone remember how well Eugene Wilson was playing! Until he got hurt on the special teams play in the superbowl, the guy was money with even an INT in the AFCCG if I remember correctly. Wilson never looked the same after that and wasn't smart enough to figure out what was going on when Harrison was out for multiple games in subsequent years.

Brady had the flu going into that game and he and Branch just TORCHED the vaunted Steeler secondary. The Defense stuffed Bettis and forced a fumble on a 4th down. Ben was totally confused by the Patriots defense. Weis and Crennel and Mangini were terrific coordinators. They were simply at their peak. As Belichick said before that game, the team played its best games in their biggest games that year. After the loss at Pittsburgh, they went into St Louis, when the Rams were still a juggarnaut offense, and simply blew them away, 40-22. After losing the game at Miami on a freak Brady goof, they went into the Meadowlands and manhandled a very good Jets team. A very good Baltimore team came into Foxboro and the Patriots just ran right over them.

Watching that team was such a joy, and those 2 AFC playoff games remain very special in my heart.

Defense is what wins, and team balance, and that team could do it all and do it anywhere. Truly one of the best teams of all time.

That truly was a special team. Certainly the best of the SB teams. I still think the '07 team was better, not by much though. If the Oline gets manhandled in the SB in '04, we lose that game too. Fortunately, Brady wasn't touched in the 2nd half.

But oh I definately miss Dillon from that year. And the defensive performance vs. Indy in the playoffs was perhaps my most proud Patriots moment from the entire dynasty. After the Colts' offseason of whining and changing rules, we go against them without both starting CB's and Seymour and hold them to 3 points. 3 POINTS!!! And would've been a shutout if Asante held onto a gift from Manning. Then seeing BB, Weis, and Crennel hug at the end of the SB was somethin else too.

One of my favorite games of all time, was the AFCCG in Pitt that year. Adam V. kicked thatt 48 yrd field goal for the first points, just a week after the Jets kicker blew a similar kick at Heinz...mesage sent. And then the long bomb to Branch, when Brady first looked off Polamalu (who, by the way, I happen to think is the single most overrrated player in the NFL), and the ball settled into Deion's hands like a snowflake, and he never broke stride. And then stuffing the Bus on 4th and 1....just great memories.

That truly was a special team. Certainly the best of the SB teams. I still think the '07 team was better, not by much though. If the Oline gets manhandled in the SB in '04, we lose that game too. Fortunately, Brady wasn't touched in the 2nd half.

But oh I definately miss Dillon from that year. And the defensive performance vs. Indy in the playoffs was perhaps my most proud Patriots moment from the entire dynasty. After the Colts' offseason of whining and changing rules, we go against them without both starting CB's and Seymour and hold them to 3 points. 3 POINTS!!! And would've been a shutout if Asante held onto a gift from Manning. Then seeing BB, Weis, and Crennel hug at the end of the SB was somethin else too.

I agree about the Colts game. That was the signature moment of what the dynasty was all about. Bruschi's post game comments were so hilariously great.

i would say about the '07 team and what you said about if the '04 teams OL was manhandled....thats just it, the '04 teams OL would not have. No way Weis would have allowed it if it was a scheming problem. I just think the '04 team had a toughness and swagger and was getting stronger at the end while the "07 team had been slowly playing worse week by week in the second half. I would say the '07 team that went into Dallas and pounded Dallas early in the season looked like the best Patriot team ever. But by the end they werent playing like that team at all. They were not impressive against SD in the AFCC Game.

while the 2004 team was better balanced, I still believe the 2003 was a better team

I agree about the Colts game. That was the signature moment of what the dynasty was all about. Bruschi's post game comments were so hilariously great.

i would say about the '07 team and what you said about if the '04 teams OL was manhandled....thats just it, the '04 teams OL would not have. No way Weis would have allowed it if it was a scheming problem. I just think the '04 team had a toughness and swagger and was getting stronger at the end while the "07 team had been slowly playing worse week by week in the second half. I would say the '07 team that went into Dallas and pounded Dallas early in the season looked like the best Patriot team ever. But by the end they werent playing like that team at all. They were not impressive against SD in the AFCC Game.

I guess I can agree with that. Not sure if it was just the pressure or if teams really caught up to us, but we peaked way too early whereas '04 peaked at the right time. Honestly at one time in the 2nd half even before the Giants took the lead I thought to myself, even if we do hold on to win this, we're not the best ever. Anyway enough with the painful memories.

04 was when the Brady-Manning debates really heated up. And Brady's performance in the postseason was flawless. That was where he overtook Manning in my mind.

They were truly awesome, especially in the playoffs. Even the Super Bowl didn't seem as close as the score indicated.

The '03 team was incredible as well. Both of those seasons were fun as hell to watch.

Ive been watching the Colts and Steelers playoff games from 2004 the last few nights and it really made me appreciate how great that team was, and how it was clearly a better team than last years team. That team had amazing balance, sure it wasnt as flashy at WR with Moss and Welker, but the OL was solid, Corey Dillon was a monster that year, Brady was Brady, Branch and Givens were so clutch, we were 3 deep at TE with Watson,Graham, and Fauria. The DL was 4 years younger, at LB we had Brushci and TJ in the middle, with McGinest, Colvin, Vrabel, and Pfifer on the outside!!! Samuel was young and hungry, Rodney was at his peak, and Belichick and Mangini had Gay and Troy Brown and Eugen Wilson and Poteat and Moreland working miracles.

They just CRUSHED the Colts at home 20-3 and CRUSHED the Steelers at Heinz, up 24-3 and 31-10 before winning 41-27. They were at the top of their game and kings of the NFL having won 34 of 38 games over 2 years.

This is not about dumping on what we have now, but its just to appeciate just how great that team was. A brain fart by Brady in Miami and Dillon and Branch being injured for the Halloween game, and that team could have been the undefeated one.

Im really thankful for DVD players and VCRs

Roman Phifer (not "Pfifer") was on the inside in the 3-4, and it's Tedy Bruschi, not "Brushi." Red square.

Roman Phifer (not "Pfifer") was on the inside in the 3-4, and it's Tedy Bruschi, not "Brushi." Red square.

Thank you, Mr Squidward. :rolleyes:

I type fast, ok? btw, Pfifer played both. In 2001 he was usually on the outside. But thanks for your feedback.

I've been a fan for a long time, and I loved that 2004 team. That said, the 2007 patriots would have crushed the 2004 patriots, no contest.

Thank you, Mr Squidward. :rolleyes:

I type fast, ok? btw, Pfifer played both. In 2001 he was usually on the outside. But thanks for your feedback.

Yes, in the 4-3 that was used most of the season. No 4-3 was used in 2004.

Last edited:
They also had the toughest road to the championship. Beat the Colts in the divisional round (record-setting offensive season at the team and big time SB favorites), beat the Steelers (also SB favorites and had the best record at 15-1) at Heinz Field, and beat a rejuvenated NFC juggernaut in the Eagles in the Super Bowl. That Patriots team dominated in all phases of the game.

yes, let's focus on the that Colts game a second......

Manning had just thrown 49 Touchdown passes

Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Brandon Stokely EACH had at least 1,000 yards and 10 TDs

The Patriots had to play the game without Richard Seymour and Ty Law. Don't forget Rodney suffered a season ending injury at PIT earlier in the year.

Troy Brown was being used as a DB, and proved to be effective.

That was an amazing team and an amazing game. I hold this game right up there with the win against the Rams. Tedy Bruschi was playing like a man possessed that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down