PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2004 Big Vince. Good review of how the draft went down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link. It was a good analysis, and what a player he's been!

Pretty good breakdown. To this day, I'm not sure why a talent like Vince Wilfork slid all the way to #21, but I'm glad that he did!

The 2004 Jets were a 4-3 / Cover 2 team, as they were under Herm, NOT a 3-4 team as Mayock said.

Yup. We've lost many players over the years by not trading up. I was very glad that we didn't lose Wilfork. (This year I wanted to trade up for Griffin; or some other defensive back better than Meriweather)

I was online here ... in the chat room and i was going nuts every time he slid. He was the guy I wanted but at #21 I felt we needed to trade up. I was wrong.:D

That was pretty interesting,, but I wonder what the Pats backup plan was. I am sure they had another player they could target.

The 2004 Jets were a 4-3 / Cover 2 team, as they were under Herm, NOT a 3-4 team as Mayock said.

yea, I thought that was odd, but it made sense besides that

Yup. We've lost many players over the years by not trading up. I was very glad that we didn't lose Wilfork. (This year I wanted to trade up for Griffin; or some other defensive back better than Meriweather)

I am not super high on Meriweather right now either but had he not taken off his helmet and smashed that FIU player with it, he would have been at least top 15.

very interesting to see. I wish we had access after the fact to see what teams backup choices would be. Wishfull thinking.

I am not super high on Meriweather right now either but had he not taken off his helmet and smashed that FIU player with it, he would have been at least top 15.

Just a quick note here. Meriweather was involved in that FIU brawl, but he wasn't the player using his helmet as a weapon. That was another Miami player. Meriweather did stomp on one of the FIU players (after they had attacked a Miami coach), though.

Also, the poster who said Meriweather would have been a top 15 pick (without that FIU incident) is correct. On talent alone he graded out pretty high, as those of us who scouted him will contest. I also think he'll develop into a better pro than Griffin, but I've had that opinion since Jan/Feb.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey