Welcome to PatsFans.com

2001 Patriots Wide Receivers

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by IcyPatriot, Sep 25, 2006.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +478 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

For all the newbers an cliff jumpers...do you not remember who Brady threw to in our run to Super Bowl victory #1.

1 - Troy Brown - 2002 was his last good year.
    2 - Terry Glenn - Doghouse
    3 - David Patten - 2002 was his last good year.
    4 - Curtis Jackson - Last Year Played.
    5 - Bert Emmanuel - Last year played.
    6 - Fred coleman - Hung it up in 2002...no catches in 2002.
    7 - Charles Johnson - Hung it up in 2002 with 3 catches in Buffalo.
    8 - Torrance Small - Last Year Played.

Before posting complaining of the WR situation...take a look here.Not much here to jump out at you at all....I only see 2 decent players.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  2. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +79 / 65 / -56

#87 Jersey

i mentioned this on another thread, Tommy Boy didn't have a problem throwing to these studs. I think Tom needs an attitude adjustment.
  3. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 3 / -11

If I remember correctly, the Pats D became dominant by playoff time and was a turnover creating machine. In 2006, the Pats have created 1 turnover in 3 games...a pace of 5.33 this year. If not for Pennington's hail mary, they would be blanked.
  4. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think the difference was the play calling. The calls were made to fit a team with an inexperienced QB and a below average group of WR's. Before this was even posted I was actually thinking about how we should revert to similar playing calling as in 2001 until the offense gels and the QB and WR's get on the same page.
  5. I'm Ron Borges?

I'm Ron Borges? Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey, this just in, it's not 2001. Are the Patriots going to get blocked kicks, punt returns and interception returns for touchdowns every week? Let me rephrase that. Are they ever going to get an interception or return a punt more than 5 yards? I'm so sick and tired hearing about 2001. It was 5 freaking years ago. This is a different team, with different coaches. Give it up and go cut and paste some other meaningless stat.
  6. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Why do you hate the world?

This just in, Brady is a better quarterback than he was in 2001. They don't as many big plays by the defense and special teams because he is capable of doing more in the offense. And the running game is better this year. Go write another bitter rant where you unnecessarily condescend and unsult people.
  7. Brick

Brick Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I get your point but if Brady could be productive with that group of 2001 receivers you'd think he'd be equally as good with his WRs now, especially now that the Pats have a running game.
  8. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I took a look at our Game Active WR's last night and I only saw 2 decent players, and one of them didn't get in the game until the 4th quarter while the other is now 35 and would make a great #3-4.

Remind me, what was our record after the first 10 weeks of that season?

And didn't we have a motivated 2nd tier RB who had a career year?

And didn't we have a couple of pro bowl playmakers in the secondary, and an unheralded LB corps chock full of big play players?

And close and late didn't we have the best clutch money kicker in the game?

A stroll down memory lane isn't really a good idea in week 3 of 2006. As I recall BB summed up that season by saying "can you believe we won with that team?"
  9. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

And you know what Brady's attitude is all about, how?

As I recall, Brady wasn't lighting the world on fire back then. Go watch the Rams game. He closed both halves with great drives. In between, he really didn't need to do much. Redmond, Wiggins, Brown, figured prominently. Against the Raiders, we looked even worse than we did last night, until we pulled off a miracle comeback, with passes very similar to the nones he was throwing to Gabriel last night.

People are talking a lot of crud about Brady's behavior and attitude, but I've yet to see one smidge of evidence. I have seen evidence of his poor play.
  10. R_T26

R_T26 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lets not fail to mention that Patten could get open and was pretty good. Brown was a pro bowl reciever with 1,200 yards and 101 catches. Brown was actually better then branch. the D created a ot of Turnovers. Weis and crennel were the coordinators, The secondary was ball hawking and special teams were incredible. Why doesnt anyone ever mention the 2002 team where the Pats were awful in FA and it cost them. How can you explain last year the pats had Branch, Givens,Brown, Dwight, terrell, and Bethel in the recieving corps. yet still tried to sign mason, traded for Davis, and were looking at peerless price. Why were they so interested in recievers last year, yet totally neglect it this year. I hate to break it but the pats have made mistakes.
  11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +478 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

If we can win with those receivers then we can win with what we have. We also have better RB's than 2001. Though the defense was dominant we averaged 23.4 points per game including the Super Bowl. So...defense was not the only factor in 2001.

I bet your family doesn't even like you.
    I bet your dog pisses on your shoes when you are home.

The thing here is that you are not a Patriots fan at all...so the crap you spew belongs in the interleague forum...that's where wannabe fans from wannabe teams post their B.S. .... like you of course.

If you can't say anything relevant to the team you are in the wrong forum. All your posts are stabs at good posting members here...it's about time you come clean because you are a sham Patriot fan who belongs in the inter-league forum. ;)
  12. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

I've said it a million times before, Troy was a top-10 WR (and a Pro Bowler) that year. So while they weren't deep at WR, they did have a serious playmaker- one we don't (yet) have in 2006.

Listen people, Troy Brown isn't walking through the door... uh, nevermind.
  13. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Wotan_the_Wanderer Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah, people should ease up on the bong hits for it's obviously affecting their short term memory. Troy as you and another poster stated, had a hell of a year. His numbers stack him up with any true #1 WR in the league. Patten also caught something like 50 passes for 500 yards. He was a solid #2. Throw in Antowain who ripped up 1,200 yards and tied Marshall Faulk to finish second in the league for rushing TDs. No matter how you measure it, these guys were hardly bums. The three were huge factors in the Pats winning their first SB in franchise history. Seems a bit odd that many people are intent on whitewashing their contributions to Patriots-lore.
  14. Patsrooter

Patsrooter Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Brady wasn't on the decline then, plus we had the league on our side. Now we are old news and the league wants "fresh meat"!
  15. Lloyd_Christmas

Lloyd_Christmas I can delete my own crap! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Troy Brown vs Doug Gabriel
    Terry Glenn vs Deon Branch (Only diff was we traded Branch. Glenn played a couple games I think)
    David Patten vs Chad Jackson
    Charles Johnson vs Reche Caldwell
    Curtis Jackson vs Bam Childress
    Fred coleman vs Jonathan Smith
    Bert Emmanuel
    Torrance Small

Brown (2001) may have been better than Gabriel (2006) - we need to see more to know... he was at least comfortable in our system

Glenn was nearly as useless to us as Branch was. Glenn helped us win one game late in the season before being benched again.

Patten was OK, but I think Jackson will be better for us this year.

Johnson sucked... Caldwell is WAY better.

Jackson vs Childress.... a wash.
    Coleman vs. Smith....... ditto

Emmanual and Small blew chunks anyway. They were completely useless.

I would say this year's WRs are better overall than what we had in 2001. The difference being that Brown knew our offense inside out and there was no adjustment period like we are seeing right now.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2006