PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2000's Patriots All-Decade Team released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what point your trying to make. The all-decade team is for what a player actually did during the decade, not what another player could have done if he had played on the team in certain years.

No it's not, otherwise you take 2004 team and be done with it. They released their all decade team and it RIGHTFULLY had Moss, Welker and Brown.

I never said that it was Branch's "greatest that brought the rings", I even said that Moss is a better player than Branch but when you look at what each player has contributed to the team in the decade Moss has contributed outstanding stats, while Branch has contributed decent stats and 2 rings and an MVP award.

Branch has not "contributed 2 rings". Again it's "rewarding" an individual based on his team, and it's nonsensical.

Last edited:
Dynasty/upstater:

Do you guys believe that Welker belongs on the all-decade team?

No it's not, otherwise you take 2004 team and be done with it. They released their all decade team and it RIGHTFULLY had Moss, Welker and Brown.

I think Branch deserves to be on it, but then it brings up the case who do you take off of it Moss or Welker because they both came during the same year and havent won a championship, just great stats. I do think that Branch deserves to be on the team over Moss and Welker because he actually won championships. Pretty hard to have a team of the decade with a WR that was the best on 2 of the Super Bowl teams, once an MVP not on it.

Branch has not "contributed 2 rings". Again it's "rewarding" an individual based on his team, and it's nonsensical.

Branch was an contributor on 2 of the Super Bowl teams, therefore helped contribute 2 rings.

Dynasty/upstater:

Its a good question, I just brought that up in my response to emoney. I think Branch definitely belongs on it, but I dont know who I would take off of it Moss or Welker. They are essentially the same as a member of the Patriots, came at the same time, outstanding stats/value, no championships. I think either both of them have to be on it or both of them cant be on it. Troy Brown definitely belongs on it, and its hard to think of a guy that could be on it with Brown and Branch.

I think Branch deserves to be on it, but then it brings up the case who do you take off of it Moss or Welker because they both came during the same year and havent won a championship, just great stats. I do think that Branch deserves to be on the team over Moss and Welker because he actually won championships. Pretty hard to have a team of the decade with a WR that was the best on 2 of the Super Bowl teams, once an MVP not on it.

By your logic, Givens and Patten should be on it over Moss and Welker. Again the TEAM won championships, not individual players. I don't understand why it's hard for people to grasp that concept. Just like my Gay vs. Revis example.

Branch was an contributor on 2 of the Super Bowl teams, therefore helped contribute 2 rings.

If there was a such thing as assigning a hard number to what an individual contributes to a team. (something that FO attempts to do for example with DVOA etc...) then both Moss and Welker would have far higher numbers. Except they just happened to be on TEAMS and SITUATIONS where that high number wasn't good enough to win a title. And I mean really the 2007 SB for example, Law doesn't leave Tyree like Samuel did.

Its a good question, I just brought that up in my response to emoney. I think Branch definitely belongs on it, but I dont know who I would take off of it Moss or Welker. They are essentially the same as a member of the Patriots, came at the same time, outstanding stats/value, no championships. I think either both of them have to be on it or both of them cant be on it. Troy Brown definitely belongs on it, and its hard to think of a guy that could be on it with Brown and Branch.

Why not Givens? By your logic, he should be the clear choice, and Moss and Welker should both be off the team. And Mankins shouldn't be on there either, or Kaczur.

Last edited:
Maybe we should just run a 4-receiver set in this All-Decade Team, then everyone will be happy. ;)

Dynasty/upstater:

I think Branch and Brown deserve it, with Moss and Welker tied for 3rd. Welker has really good playoff stats, two pretty good games in the early rounds and a excellent Super Bowl. I love all these guys, and I've acknowledged that Moss is a better WR than Branch, but an all-decade team for me is about performing for the Patriots, and most of all performing in the playoffs.

With Troy, it's hard to put a value on him because of all the things he did. He was a WR so that's where he has to be considered, but I have to take into account stripping balls away in the Chargers game, punt returns against the Steelers, and laterals off blocked kicks, etc., and getting open in crucial situations against the Rams. Troy is the epitome of clutch, and it's really hard to account for his play because of all his other contributions.

What of it? Moss didn't have a great game, so what? Branch has had plenty of quiet games himself

You were the one saying the Giants defense was far superior to the Steelers or Philly. I'm just asking if that applies to the Chargers as well.

If you take Moss and Branch out of the equation for their respective teams, then yes, I would argue exactly that. Leaving out WR1, the 07 offense was superior at WR2 and almost nothing else.

Given that, the reason why the '07 Pats had a historic offense, which was far more productive than the '04 version? Because Moss is that much better than Branch.

And no, Branch didn't win the SB MVP in 2003.

I was wrong about the 2003 thing, even though he had a hell of a game and was the main guy on offense, but you were wrong about Dillon. Dillon wasn't there in 2003. So, Branch produced even without Dillon. Almost nothing else? Really? Antowain Smith? He was on his last legs.

Faulk over everyone at RB. Obviously. That's a stupid, short-sighted misfire. But whatever, it's just a list and it's fun.

Brady > Manning not because of the playoffs. Unless you are arguing Manning 05-09 > Brady 05-09? Because ya know Manning won a SB in that timeframe and Brady did not. Brady > Manning (barely) because of many reasons, not "because playoffs count more".

Brady is better than Manning because of playoffs. Manning has outplayed Brady in the regular season. Brady has outplayed Manning in the playoffs. And one game in 2006 doesn't change things, especially since the game was totally bogus.

one (you) can argue whatever they want but no objective rational human being thinks Brady was at his best in 2003.

Brady was certainly better in the 2003 postseason than he was in the 2007 postseason. Hard to deny that. Look at the actual record. Brady was totally off against the Chargers. And for me rationality means having a logical point; you're ok at tossing around insults, but you lack substance.

And I'll re-iterate, this made up notion of "stepping up" in the clutch has been thoroughly disproven. Do some research, and use common sense.

Research, eh? Laughable. Show me the research. NFL players for decades have talked about the speed of the game changing in the playoffs, the intensity changing. That's because a lot more is at stake. And no, the Ravens are not 20 odd points better than the Patriots. Clearly, they won because they stepped up their game. Also, we've seen people get frazzled and choke in playoff situations. Don't tell me that this doesn't happen.

I am absolutely aware that Dillon wasn't on the 2003 team. It is YOU who are unaware of things (e.g. claiming Branch won SB MVP against Carolina in 2003). I put two thoughts in back to back sentences, so maybe that part was confusing but I was never under the illusion that Dillon was here in 2003.

So then the argument that Branch only had good games because the D was focusing on Dillon goes out the window. Clearly, Branch had an excellent game in that Super Bowl with the emphasis being on passing in a very tight game.

Uhh he hasn't been injured his entire career there and they never intended on him being WR#1. Are you seriously suggesting his injuries lowered him on their depth chart?

He missed games each year, 5 games in 07 when he had his ACL injury. He's been an afterthought ever since, and 06 has been his only healthy year, but even then he was banged up. of course he's been a disappointment, but are you asking me if I believe a healthy Branch would be a better player for WR? OK, what is the argument against that point-of-view? That injuries haven't hampered him? Really? Even Branch is on record as saying he doesn't have the same speed and explosion he once did.

This is horrendous logic. 2 different situations, 2 different teams, 2 different trades. If the Raiders traded Moss for Branch, then you'd have a point.

It's not horrendous at all. It's spot on. Don't get me wrong, I think Moss is a lot more valuable than Branch and the trades were loony. But, you asked me about what NFL scouts and front office guys might think. Unless you believe Al Davis took less for Moss than he could have gotten or that Seattle bid against themselves (and we know Branch had other bidders) then we can say that Branch was more highly valued after 2005 than Moss was after 2006. I don't even know how you can possibly argue with that. Seriously, come on. One was traded for a 1st rounder and the other for a 4th.

You make absolutely 0 sense. Seriously, ZERO sense.

There you go again, talking about sense and logic and rationality, but offering up nothing of substance.

I've already disproven this. Stop regurgitating easily disproven crap, it only makes you look foolish.

You're the only one I've ever talked to that thinks it was a close game. The Patriots dominated the second half, and it's hard for Peyton to score from the bench. You see totally unaware that a team can slow the game down, take the air out of the ball, win by 10 points, and still dominate. I'll say it again: the Patriots ran for 200+ yards, their top receiver was Corey Dillon, they had 2 90 yard drives, 15+ play drives, held the ball for 16 out of 17 minutes, and you think this shows badly on branch because he disappeared? Really? You think the Patriots should have been throwing to Branch in these circumstances? I challenge you to find one person on this board that agrees with that. Absurd logic.

You said the Patriots weren't throwing it in the IND game, and I used the first 2 rounds of 2007 (only 6 more pass attempts) to say "same thing".

Let's look at other things, like total number of plays, third down conversions. In one game, the Patriots are converting, running and not throwing, have a lot more plays. In the other, the defense is stopping them, and that's why the passing game isn't producing. Two different animals.

Small sample sizes. Given enough playoff games, his numbers will mimic his seasonal averages. Just like the "clutch" Jeter in baseball.

The point is, Moss hasn't produced yet. Branch has. I'm not going by fantasyland stats, but the reality. And your argument about mimicking season averages certainly doesn't apply to Peyton Manning whose INT % goes up in the playoffs, and he's had plenty of chances. He's been in the playoffs a lot.

Maybe he loses in 2003 but maybe he wins in 2005 or 2007, who knows. Bottom line 2-3 SBs with the Pats because he's GREAT.

I didn't say he wasn't great. I just said he's a choker.
[/QUOTE]

The facts are totally on my side. My main criteria is playoff performance, and that's why I think Brady has produced more as a Patriot than Manning has as a Colt, and Branch more as a Patriot than Moss has as a Patriot. Those are the comparisons. The stats and facts back this up. I don't really care if you think my criteria for judging this or my emphasis on the playoffs is flawed. But the facts to back up my judgment based on the criteria are absolutely there for both players.

Except for the fact that the 03/04 defense was a **** ton better than any defense the team has fielded during Moss' tenure. Branch can combine his 4 year patriot career and it doesn't match one of Moss' years here.

That may be but that defense gave up 29 points in 31 minutes to the Carolina Panthers as Delhomme shredded them for 350 yards through the air and even more on the ground. They needed Branch to come through and he did. To say that the Super Bowl victory was more a credit to the defense than Brady and Branch is to go way too far.

upstater, major fail with the entire post. I post facts, you post nonsense. :bricks:

BTW, with your wonky logic, Gaffney was a better Patriot than Moss and Welker. Also by your twisted logic Gaffney 2006 > Branch 2003 and Caldwell 2006 == Branch 2003. Squirm your way out of that one.

LOL at Gaffney.......never saw a player catch and punt a ball so fast when his team needed him to hold onto it

BTW, with your wonky logic, Gaffney was a better Patriot than Moss and Welker. Also by your twisted logic Gaffney 2006 > Branch 2003 and Caldwell 2006 == Branch 2003. Squirm your way out of that one.

I'm done with your idiocy since this post is a prime example of it.

I've come across your idiotic battles with other posters in a great many threads and I became so dizzy I didn't bother with them. I should have known better than to ever get in a discussion with you, and trust me I will not do that in the future, so respond to my posts all you want. You're not going to drag me down to your level again.

I'm done with your idiocy since this post is a prime example of it.

I've come across your idiotic battles with other posters in a great many threads and I became so dizzy I didn't bother with them. I should have known better than to ever get in a discussion with you, and trust me I will not do that in the future, so respond to my posts all you want. You're not going to drag me down to your level again.

Since you obviously have no leg to stand on you resort to name calling. Let me bring you back to what YOU said...

The facts are totally on my side. My main criteria is playoff performance, and that's why I think Brady has produced more as a Patriot than Manning has as a Colt, and Branch more as a Patriot than Moss has as a Patriot. Those are the comparisons. The stats and facts back this up.

YOU defined the criteria, I threw it back in your face and you resorted to childish name calling.

Caldwell 2006 playoffs numbers == Branch 2003 playoff numbers
Gaffney 2006 playoff numbers > Branch 2003 playoff numbers
Givens 2003 playoff numbers (arguably) > Branch 2003 playoff numbers
Gaffney Patriot playoff numbers > Moss and Welker's Patriot playoff numbers.
Givens Patriot playoff numbers > Moss and Welker's Patriot playoff numbers.
Stallworth playoff numbers > Moss playoff numbers

I have stuck with facts and sound logic, the same cannot be said of you.

PS: Regarding "clutch", you said 2003 Brady was at his best due to playoffs, yet his playoff numbers are IDENTICAL to his 2003 seasonal averages. His numbers in the 4th quarter of close games are also pretty much the same as his seasonal averages. That seems to go against your stepping UP argument.

I was wrong about the 2003 thing, even though he had a hell of a game and was the main guy on offense, but you were wrong about Dillon. Dillon wasn't there in 2003. So, Branch produced even without Dillon. Almost nothing else? Really? Antowain Smith? He was on his last legs.

Feel free to point out where I said that Dillon was here in 2003. I said that, absent Branch/Moss, the 2004 offense was better than the 2007 offense. I said that in response to this:

Well, then, I guess we're saying the 2007 offense did not have as many weapons as the 2004 offense. I didn't conveniently ignore anything, by the way. It's a good argument to say the running game loosened up the passing game BUT...

Branch won the Super Bowl MVP against Carolina in 2003.

Now you're moving the goalposts yet again, because once again it's clear that you've just completely disconnected from reality. Did Branch have a good SB in 2003? Yes, he did. How the hell does that make him better than Moss? The Giants had to base their entire gameplan around stopping Moss, and he still caught the go-ahead touchdown late in the fourth quarter. If you put Branch on the '07 Pats, they get blown out in that game (if they're even in it).

Last edited:
Back to the original topic, Jim Donaldson of the Providence Journal was part of the committee that named the All-Decade Team and offered a bit of insight in how they came up with that starting lineup in this column.

Jim Donaldson: My all-decade Patriots team | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Donaldson said they were originally going to go with a 2-RB, 2-WR lineup, but as they were debating which receivers should be included they decided to change it to a 1-RB, 3-WR formation as that was what was most commonly used this past decade. He says that "allowed us to include Troy Brown alongside Randy Moss and Wes Welker, as was most appropriate" - with no mention of Deion Branch.

When they proceeded to the lone RB position there was some sentiment for Kevin Faulk over Corey Dillon, but then someone remembered there was a slot for a return man, so the problem was solved: Faulk went in on ST and Dillon was the RB.

One last thing worth mentioning was their choice of a punter. Donaldson says "Patriot punters the last decade have been mediocre at best. And that's being charitable. A committee member who works for the team called the Pats' punting the past 10 years "a disaster" - a line that broke up the room."

I'd be curious to find out who said that ... Ernie Adams, perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back