PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2000 Draft...Who Went Before Tom Brady ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bledsoe got the Patriots to a Super Bowl without Moss, and might well have led the team to victory if the special teams unit had bothered to show up. How that somehow translates to his being unable to win WITH Moss is certainly an illogical assumption.

Lots of long passes, ill conceived but done with a strong arm. Cunningham 'looked' good to folks when HE had Moss.

Whoops! There goes another INT!

You might remember in his sole starting SB experience Bledsoe threw 4 INTs.

Lots of long passes, ill conceived but done with a strong arm. Cunningham 'looked' good to folks when HE had Moss.

Whoops! There goes another INT!

You might remember in his sole starting SB experience Bledsoe threw 4 INTs.

Let's try again....

Bledsoe was able to get to the Super Bowl WITHOUT Moss. Your argument, therefore, is essentially saying that Bledoe + Moss < Bledsoe - Moss. In other words, you're talking silly.

Can anyone who remembers this draft tell me what was the knock on Brady, why did he fall so far? From what I have read about his college career, it was pretty good. So how does a guy who has a good career including 2 bowl victories at a big school like Michigan slip to the 6th round?

Have you watched the America's Game episode on the '01 Pats? In it, they show Brady's draft weigh in. He's shirtless. Thats right, shirtless Tom Brady :D !!!! He looks like an anorexic teenager. The physical knock on him was that he was simply NOT athletic (ran a 5+ 40 time and weighted I think closer to 200 than 210). He was a skinny, scrawny, slow guy. He had the height but not the big body. I remember him throwing plenty of long balls and having a good arm (albeit nothing super spectacular) while playing at Michigan but yet he didn't have the type of "laser rocket arm" reputation of Manning or Leaf.

He was overshadowed because Michigan's offense ran primarily through Anthony Thomas and the running game so a lot of people perceived him to be a "system qb". He also had some good college receivers (including first round bust David Terrell) and some people gave the receivers too much credit and not enough to Brady. I think those are the main reasons. In general, QB is probably the hardest position to translate from college to pro. Scouts just weren't sure.

As happens too often in the draft, people focus too much on the physical and not enough on the intangibles. The guy was smart (he studied Organizational Studies which at Michigan is actually a pretty elite program, and one of my econ professors at UofM actually taught TB and said he was a very good student), he was a great leader, a senior captain, a hard worker who fought off the most hyped QB to come into Michigan (who abandoned the team to play baseball later on), completed 62+% for 2,600+ yds, 20 TDs, 6 INTs senior year, and he led some pretty epic comebacks as well as some epic near-comebacks, and was at his best in pressure situations.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes