PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2000 Draft...Who Went Before Tom Brady ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulThePat

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been done...but in reading another thread it mentions (as we all know) that Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round of the 2000 draft. As it happens it turned out to be one of the most important 6th round picks this or any other franchise has taken :D

My questions are:

1. Who did we take in the first 5 rounds ?
2. Were there other teams who looked at Tom and passed on him ?
3. Have any of the QB picks taken ahead of Tom proven to be big time busts ?

:cool:

Last edited:
He wasn't just a 6th round pick, he was a 6th round comp. pick. The list is long. You can find it if you google it.

He wasn't just a 6th round pick, he was a 6th round comp. pick. The list is long. You can find it if you google it.
Yep...just found the Wiki page for the 2000 draft and I didn't realise that Pennington was a 1st rounder that year. Overall it actually looked a terrible year for QB's which makes it all the more amazing Tom was in till the 6th.

?

The only first-round QB was Chad Pennington. It was universally regarded as a poor class for QBs, despite the fact Bulger and Brady are now two of the best in the game today. Not many QBs could therefore be considered "busts." Except Giovanni Carmarzi or however its spelled. He was the 49ers' third round pick and he never even played a down.

Here's a rough breakdown:
1) Bill Belichick - Coach
Spectacular pick at a position teams normally don't draft.
2) Adrian Klemm - LOT
Talented, but oft-injured. Ended up being just a body.
3) J. R. Redmond - RB
Skipped out of town to Arizona as quick as he could, but while here made some big plays.
4) Greg Robinson-Randall - ROT
Also just a body, and got bounced from the team after a really poor training camp in 2002. Did help a bit in 2001 however.

And then I forget. Tight ends and defensive lineman that didn't pan out.

I believe there were a bunch of scrubs taken in the last three rounds, the only other two of note being Antwan Harris, who was a decent special teamer until he fell apart playing safety for Lawyer Milloy in 2003, and Patrick Pass.

Noodle Arm Pennington was drafted 1st because he could throw the long ball and Tom couldn't.

To add to that I should note that apperantly BB was evaluating draft prospects based off of Bobby Grier's scouting information, as he didn't have time to properly prepare for the draft. That explains the uneven quality of this draft.

And to the OP, couldn't you have Google'd this?

Did anyone notice who was 13 picks ahead of our own Tommy?

And to think we were one pick away from taking him.

Stupid Antwan Harris. :p

The draft does throw up some amazing picks...the first one I really paid any attention to was in 1987 when Vinny Testaverde was the No 1 pick. However, when looking at the entire draft that year I naturally looked to see who the last player picked in the last round was. In 1987 it was Tyrone Braxton who went on to have a great career with the Bronco's...has there ever been a better last pick in the draft than him :eek:

The draft does throw up some amazing picks...the first one I really paid any attention to was in 1987 when Vinny Testaverde was the No 1 pick. However, when looking at the entire draft that year I naturally looked to see who the last player picked in the last round was. In 1987 it was Tyrone Braxton who went on to have a great career with the Bronco's...has there ever been a better last pick in the draft than him :eek:

Marques Colston was next to last, wasn't he?

In one of the BB books, I think it was Patriot Reign, Pioli says that he keeps a picture of Dave Stachalski on his desk at all times, as a reminder, that if he was so smart, why did he take Dave Stachalski before Tom Brady.

In one of the BB books, I think it was Patriot Reign, Pioli says that he keeps a picture of Dave Stachalski on his desk at all times, as a reminder, that if he was so smart, why did he take Dave Stachalski before Tom Brady.
Good quote :D

More like stupid Jeff Marriott.

Did he even get playing time?

No, when he was drafted as you can see he didnt even have a position he played DE for the Patriots wearing number 93 in 2000. You can guess who took that number from him a year later.

Apologies if this has already been done...but in reading another thread it mentions (as we all know) that Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round of the 2000 draft. As it happens it turned out to be one of the most important 6th round picks this or any other franchise has taken :D
:cool:

And it almost never was. Bill and Scott were deciding between two QBs to take there. Tom Brady... and Tim Rattay. Oh how different things could have been.

The crazy thing is, if the Pats hadn't taken Brady and honestly if old #11 didn't get injured, there would be no "legend" of Tom. Imagine if he was drafted by another team even, he could still be just holding a clipboard or playing on a scout team or something. I would have to admit, that if the cards were dealt differently, Peyton would be the Legend. too bad Peyton.:D

Brady did not make it to where he is because of luck, he made it because he's the most determined MFer in the NFL. If we passed on BRady, I gaurentee that Brady would be a superstar QB in some city for some other team. He wouldn't have the rings, or the legend, but he'd still be up with the league's elite.

I watch a lot of college football, and even though I appreciated Brady at Michigan (I'm a B10 fan) I was bummed they took him over Sherrod Gideon (the next guy picked) who I thought was going to tear up the league based on his college performances. There are a lot of QBs out there who may be the next Brady's. You just never know who to pick.

Look at the kid from Ohio St, Boekman. No one is talking about this kid nationally, but he has a strong arm, stands well in the pocket, and he has guts. He is a leader. Nationally, he's underregarded the way Brady was. It would not surprise me in the least to see this kid become one of the top 10 QBs in the league.

With some guys, you can absolutely see that they have something special in college (i.e. Brett Favre or Dan Marino). With other guys, they just fly under the radar.

If it were me, I'd take Boekman over Matt Ryan, but maybe not over Brian Brohm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots