PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

20 Sacks 2013 vs 13 sacks 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
That also provides some evidence that BB felt he had had to resort to his old Bag of tricks game plans and Wiles to beat the JESTers.

Fortunately Rex, like Peyton was too short-sighted and dumb, to notice that he was being had. Buffalo the SB favorite probably didn't think it would make a difference, but they too were outscored, while Thurman got his !00+ plus (useless) yards.

Good lord, man...

In the hall of fame gameplan that you are speaking of, the Buffalo offense was limited to 20 minutes, which was the point of the entire scheme. It was about keeping the ball away from them and having their offense control the clock to keep Jim Kelly and company off the field.

How did that happen on Thursday night vs. the Jets as they (Jets) had the ball for 41 minutes? You simply aren't making any sense whatsoever. What you are suggesting would be the exact opposite of the HOF game plan for Super Bowl 25.

Just to show you how crazy this theory is, here's a tweet from Andy Hart stating how low the odds were of winning this game: "The Patriots became just the 5th team in NFL history to win when outgained on the ground by at least 150 yards with no takeaways produced." If this was Belichick's gameplan (which it clearly wasn't), then he should be committed.

Last edited:
Good lord, man...

In the hall of fame gameplan that you are speaking of, the Buffalo offense was limited to 20 minutes, which was the point of the entire scheme. It was about keeping the ball away from them and having their offense control the clock to keep Jim Kelly and company off the field.

How did that happen on Thursday night vs. the Jets as they (Jets) had the ball for 41 minutes? You simply aren't making any sense whatsoever. What you are suggesting would be the exact opposite of the HOF game plan for Super Bowl 25.

Just to show you how crazy this theory is, here's a tweet from Andy Hart stating how low the odds were of winning this game: "The Patriots became just the 5th team in NFL history to win when outgained on the ground by at least 150 yards with no takeaways produced." If this was Belichick's gameplan (which it clearly wasn't), then he should be committed.

Then 2 of the 5 times it happened, were with Belichick as Coach in 2013 and 2014. It was NOT as though the Belichick Pats were not inviting Peyton to run. Every run they surrendered to his RBs was another lost opportunity for the Thomases or Welker to score a TD from Manning.

They were also inviting and surrendering controlled
esentially harmless,
runs to the JETs. Hart's stats are not applicable. I agree that most of the time you try to stop the opponents run game. If you don't you lose.

As to your comment about the Giants/Bills SB, not every version of a Trick is exactly the same. The essential point remained. Induce them to NOT do what they are good at.doing. Induce them into doing a relatively harmless alternative.

Last edited:
Then 2 of the 5 times it happened, were with Belichick as Coach in 2013 and 2014.It was NOT as though the Belichick Pats were not inviting Peyton to run. Every run they surrendered to his RBs was another lost opportunity for the Thomases or Welker to score a TD from Manning.

They were also inviting and surrendering controlled runs to the JETs.

Yeah, like I said--we'll have to let this one go due to seeing it differently.

I respect you as a poster and don't want to push things any further.

If they were "surrendering controlled runs to the Jets" as you say, they certainly weren't doing it effectively whatsoever.

Yeah, like I said--we'll have to let this one go due to seeing it differently.

I respect you as a poster and don't want to push things any further.

If they were "surrendering controlled runs to the Jets" as you say, they certainly weren't doing it effectively whatsoever.

My last words on the subject.

How many very long runs did the Jets get? How many rushing TDs did they score on them? How many surprise Pass completions for TDs, did the Jesters score?

What was the final score?

How many very long runs did the Jets get? How many rushing TDs did they score on them? How many surprise Pass completions for TDs, did the Jesters score?

AZ--You are surely smart enough to know that any team does not go into the game with a plan to get their first defensive 3rd down conversion heading into the 4th quarter...

No team plans to give up 200 rushing yards against a team with the last ranked offense in the entire league.

Only having the ball for 19 minutes on offense pretty much guaranteed that the game would go down to the wire, which is not what Bill Belichick attempts to do with his weekly gameplans.

You're really believing this nonsense, as much as myself and others have pointed out the obvious flaws?

AZ--You are surely smart enough to know that any team does not go into the game with a plan to get their first defensive 3rd down conversion heading into the 4th quarter...

No team plans to give up 200 rushing yards against a team with the last ranked offense in the entire league.

Only having the ball for 19 minutes on offense pretty much guaranteed that the game would go down to the wire, which is not what Bill Belichick attempts to do with his weekly gameplans.

You're really believing this nonsense, as much as myself and others have pointed out the obvious flaws?

If you can't stop he run legitimately, in this game: Then control the consequences.

If you can't expect Offensive line continuity, in this game: Then don't plan on having it. Do something else, instead.

The Pats coaches did.

The one piece of evidence that no one has disputed except for one poster, is that the Pats chose to play a pass-oriented defense the entire game, despite being bombarded against the run. They never even tried to change.

Explain that, inexplicable fact, and I'll concede. Until then I'll stand by the evidence that some shananigans were going on.

If you can't stop he run legitimately, in this game: Then control the consequences.

If you can't expect Offensive line continuity, in this game: Then don't plan on having it. Do something else, instead.

The Pats coaches did.

The one piece of evidence that no one has disputed except for one poster, is that the Pats chose to play a pass-oriented defense the entire game, despite being bombarded against the run. They never even tried to change.

Explain that, inexplicable fact, and I'll concede. Until then I'll stand by the evidence that some shananigans were going on.
They didn't have enough competent linebackers to run the base effectively...

The defensive scheme has been both poor and inconsistent this season. Wilfork is a better 1-tech than he is a NT at this point in his career, Chris Jones, Dominique Easley, and Chandler Jones are not 3-4 DEs they are better fits for a 4-3. The front 7 is not playing well because they are out of position, we are getting less out of just about everyone with the exception of Hightower.

The defensive scheme has been both poor and inconsistent this season. Wilfork is a better 1-tech than he is a NT at this point in his career, Chris Jones, Dominique Easley, and Chandler Jones are not 3-4 DEs they are better fits for a 4-3. The front 7 is not playing well because they are out of position, we are getting less out of just about everyone with the exception of Hightower.

the defensive scheme has just been inconsistent. some weeks (against cinci, buffalo) we go all agressive man coverage and we look like a top defense.

other weeks (against the Jets) we decide to play a soft zone 2-4 gap and we cant stop a nosebleed.

im hoping we see a more agressive defense the next few weeks as we play more and more playoff calibar teams. we certainly have the personnel to do it. Let Revis/browner be agressive with the receivers.

its not like the "soft zone" is exactly stopping the mobile QB's. Geno smith had all day to run and get first downs.

The fact that they have been productive with two backups in there actually makes it more impressive, not less. And I think we've already seen how well Brady can play with a legitimate dumpster fire OL.

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would have a problem with how the OL has played the last three weeks. The only explanation that fits is that they are imagining carry over from the first month, with every perfectly normal mistake being elevated into apocalyptic evidence.

I'm not arguing its less impressive. It is more impressive. I have no agenda nor am I one to elevate things into apocalyptic sky is falling stuff - I've watched the games and seen the pressure, and just am acknowledging it. I expect it to go away once the starters return. I simply like attributing success to where it belongs.

Last edited:
Then you should go back and watch them play theses at two games without thinking they sucked because you think they suck.

If I had time to re-watch the game I would, but I can't anymore. And I often throw out the caveat that I'm not watching these twice anymore. I rely on Bedard to confirm or deny my reactions. There was pressure, and it seemed to come from Devey & Kline.

I'm not arguing its less impressive. It is more impressive. I have no agenda nor am I one to elevate things into apocalyptic sky is falling stuff - I've watched the games and seen the pressure, and just am acknowledging it. I expect it to go away once the starters return. I simply like attributing success to where it belongs.

The point I'm making is that the amount of pressure is perfectly normal for a good line. Maybe not NYG circa 2008 or current Dallas lore, but no worse than league average. Perhaps even better than average and definitely better than we've seen from this same Patriot OL in prior seasons. The other guys get paid, too.

The point I'm making is that the amount of pressure is perfectly normal for a good line. Maybe not NYG circa 2008 or current Dallas lore, but no worse than league average. Perhaps even better than average and definitely better than we've seen from this same Patriot OL in prior seasons. The other guys get paid, too.
Rewatch the games. Brady has been getting pounded.

Perhaps I am being too hard on them. The level of competition is a good point that I don't mean to ignore.

I would love to re-watch the games and find out but won't be able to anytime soon. But I noted Brady making more good throws under serious pressure than he has in a while, and having to make more of them. And if Brady wasn't on fire the last couple weeks, I think our production would've looked more like weeks 1-4.

Really, since when do you go purely on statistics? You are arguing that the offense is more productive, I agree. However, I do not agree that tells us this year's line is more effective than last year's. That's a huge leap.

Last season, our offense began in a complete state of disarray without any real reliable weapons. Amendola got injured in the first game of the season, and Brady was left with a group of rookies and Edelman, who had only had 20 catches the year before. Gronkowski - our best offensive player - was not playing. Of the rookies from last year, Thompkins is on the Raiders, Dobson is now inactive in favor of LaFell, and Boyce is on the PS. It was not an NFL ready group.

This season, Gronk is back, and while he is only now back to himself, we've had him the whole year. The offensive production - as it did last year - directly and dramatically correlates to how much he plays. We have Edelman now established as a premiere slot receiver. We have a veteran WR with a camp under his belt.

Our weapons are better, and that's the main reason why our production is better. It does not say that the line play is better than worse, that information is not revealed in your statistics.

You're only talking about receivers.

1) Much less RB roster depth and quality - - exchanging LaGarette Blount for James White has so far been a huge drop down. And now there is no Ridley.

2) Stork missed most of training camp and has only played 2 games at Center. Wendell has been out, Connolly has been out. The OL has found its way nicely the last 3 games with masking tape after a bad start.

Perhaps I am being too hard on them. The level of competition is a good point that I don't mean to ignore.

I would love to re-watch the games and find out but won't be able to anytime soon. But I noted Brady making more good throws under serious pressure than he has in a while, and having to make more of them. And if Brady wasn't on fire the last couple weeks, I think our production would've looked more like weeks 1-4.

The OL's performance is a big part of why Brady is on fire.

Rewatch the games. Brady has been getting pounded.

NE was playing two very good DLs, the QB is going to be hit on occasion.

New England Patriots Offense

NFL Team First Downs per Game
2014 - 19.7, 2013 - 23.3

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/first-downs-per-game

NFL Team Yards per Pass Attempt
2014 - 6.7, 2013 - 6.6

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/yards-per-pass-attempt

NFL Team Yards per Completion
2014 - 10.8, 2013 - 10.9

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/yards-per-completion

NFL Team Yards per Rush Attempt
2014 - 3.7, 2013 - 4.4

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/yards-per-rush-attempt

You know what jumps out at me from those stats?

The only two that are much different are the first and last ones you listed.

They replaced LaGarette Blount with James White.

Maybe I am forgetting the OL play last season.

Evidently.

Last year Brady was sacked 40 times - - - his most since the 41 in 2001. No other year for him was even close.

WAIT A SECOND!!!!

The Jets came into the game averaging EXACTLY 16.00 points per game. They scored 25 Thursday night (and it would have been a game winning 28 had Chris Jones' hand been 3 inches to the left.)

This, in your opinion, was the result of a 'good strategy'???????

They scored 25 running it down the depleted Pats D. Everyone and his grandma watching that game could see that the Patriots were badly missing Mayo and the D was getting consistently crushed on the ground. As they tired, would it NOT have been a good idea for the Pats offense to try to control the ball more and keep our tired and overmatched run D off the field as much as possible?

McDaniels put back on the same his beanie with a propeller that he work in the last two Miami games. 37-15 Pass-to-Run ratio.

Before the last "drive" with the Jets playing 8 in the box and the Pats going into shell mode, the Pats running game was 12 for 62 (5.17 average).

Meanwhile, the Pats D was doing everything but wave a white flag and spelling out the words S.O.S. in the field. The braintrust should have seen this and thrown them a life preserver. Instead? A TOP of 40:54-19:06.

As a result, if Chris Jones' hand is 3 inches to the left, the Patriots are 4-3 (1-2 in the division) just having been beaten at home by the Jets.

I'm sorry, but that's horrible game planning after losing Mayo and having only 2 LB's who can play (and one of them was playing at 75%). Patricia should pull a Buddy Ryan and clean McDaniels' clock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back