PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

20 most important people in Patriots history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vinatieri should be higher and Pat Sullivan should not be on that list.

mgteich said:
Jonathan Kraft has more important than many listed.
Good point. He handled the entire financial-end of the Krafts' purchase of the Pats and handles virtually everything on the business-side today.

Bucko Kilroy, still a scouting consultant after all these years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ernie "I'll give anybody in this room $10,000 if you can tell me what this man does" Adams.

Just because it keeps BB from getting homesick when he's working 18 hours.

PFnV

20 most important people IMHO in Patriots history

1 - Bob Kraft
2 - Bill Belichick
3 - Tom Brady
4 - Scott Pioli
5 - Billy Sullivan
6 - Bill Parcells
7 - Adam Vinatieri
8 - Lawyer Milloy
9 - Ty Law
10 -Tedy Bruschi
11 - Richard Seymour
12 - John Hannah
13 - Andre Tippett
14 - Rodney Harrison
15 - Gino Cappelletti
16 - Stanley Morgan
17 - Troy Brown
18 - Steve Grogan
19 - James Orthwein
20a - Drew Bledsoe
20b - Mo Lewis :D

Honorable mention - Myra Kraft, Jonathan Kraft, **** Rehbein, Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Mike Holovak, Babe Parelli, Jim Nance, Cumar, Nick Buoniconti, Raymond Clayborn, Raymond Berry, Mark Henderson, Walt Coleman...

If 7-10 don't drink the koolaid and get the rest of the team to we don't even get to the first SB. If Rodney doesn't appear to more than replace the heart and soul SS from XXXVI we never get to XXXVIII or XXXIX.

You don't have to be the most talented to be more important. There were guys who kept us in the mix, guys who elevated the franchise from the Patsies and guys who brought us multiple rings. By and large though the ring guys are the most important IMO.

NEM said:
...................I would add Phil Bissell to the list.

On November 16, 1959, Boston executive William H. "Billy" Sullivan Jr. was awarded the eighth and final franchise of the developing American Football League (AFL). The following winter, locals were allowed to submit ideas for the Boston football team's official name. The most popular choice—and the one that Sullivan selected—was "Boston Patriots", which derived from the historical Patriots of the American Revolution. Afterward, Phil Bissell developed the "Pat Patriot" logo (see section). Immediately thereafter, Lou Saban was selected as Patriots' first head coach.

true NEM

Phil Bissell should have mentioned too ! correct.

fgssand said:
What about phil bissell - he of the original Patriot logo and many early year programs?

yes fgssand.

phil bissel must be added - he created the best ever logo in the Nfl imho

p8ryts said:
I had lots of new names but looked at your list again and its pretty good.

The Sweet Kentucky Babe and Jim Nance were as big as Grogan and Martin.
I really liked Steve Grogan but he was just good enough to lose. He had some game where he was deadly accurate and other games everything sailed high just waiting for the safety to pick it off.
I was never a big Mike Haynes fan, I still remember him most for falling on his butt in the 78 playoff game giving up a long TD, but after reading the history leading up to the game the team was doomed anyway. I preferred Raymond Clayborn even though Haynes might have been more talented. I prefer Ty Law over both of them.
I'm not a big Raymond Berry fan either, he took over a good Meyers team and loosened the reins and the players responded but he couldn't keep it going on his own.
Nobody mentioned Jim Plunket, a story himself, but his trade laid the foundation of the 76 team.
So I will swap out Ty Law for Haynes and put Jim Plunkett in place of Pat Sullivan, Mike Holovak in place of Raymond Berry and Jim Nance in place of Steve Nelson. Steve was good but Jim was the face of the Pats in the 60's.

Thanks for stimulating the interest and thought.

thks to you for the good contribution

MoLewisrocks said:
20 most important people IMHO in Patriots history

1 - Bob Kraft
2 - Bill Belichick
3 - Tom Brady
4 - Scott Pioli
5 - Billy Sullivan
6 - Bill Parcells
7 - Adam Vinatieri
8 - Lawyer Milloy
9 - Ty Law
10 -Tedy Bruschi
11 - Richard Seymour
12 - John Hannah
13 - Andre Tippett
14 - Rodney Harrison
15 - Gino Cappelletti
16 - Stanley Morgan
17 - Troy Brown
18 - Steve Grogan
19 - James Orthwein
20a - Drew Bledsoe
20b - Mo Lewis :D

Honorable mention - Myra Kraft, Jonathan Kraft, **** Rehbein, Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Mike Holovak, Babe Parelli, Jim Nance, Cumar, Nick Buoniconti, Raymond Clayborn, Raymond Berry, Mark Henderson, Walt Coleman...

If 7-10 don't drink the koolaid and get the rest of the team to we don't even get to the first SB. If Rodney doesn't appear to more than replace the heart and soul SS from XXXVI we never get to XXXVIII or XXXIX.

You don't have to be the most talented to be more important. There were guys who kept us in the mix, guys who elevated the franchise from the Patsies and guys who brought us multiple rings. By and large though the ring guys are the most important IMO.

Billy Sullivan only at # 5 ?

NEM said:
Look three posts above you....:)

I wsa blinded by the red NEM's......:D

Based on longevity and what he has done for the O-line. Not to mention he has coached just about every position in his tenure - Dante Scarnecchia

Last edited:
Willie55 said:
Based on longevity and what he has done for the O-line. Not to mention he has coached just about every position in his tenure - Dante Scarnecchia

and in the top 30 imho: Willie Mc Ginest surely !

milloy over law, bruschi, and seymour? no way.
how about brian cox? his crushing hit in the indy game at home (1st super bowl year) changed the momentum of that game, which changed the momentum of that season, which changed everything.

any love for ted washington? antwoine smith? to me these guys were more important than some of the old timers... i mean, sure, hannah was incredible, but it seems to me, to be top 20 "important", you gotta be a cause for a ring.

Last edited:
NEM said:
He is Bill Belichick's PERSONAL ASSISTANT

http://www.andover.edu/athletics/sportstalk/AB_EAdams.pdf

Do you want my mailing address for the $10,000 or , if you prefer, you can send it now via Western Union. I, certainly, can use it as I lost my job this past Monday. Thanks.

Sorry about you losing your job and all, but I was quoting. Like I've been saying, I finally got ahold of "Education of a Coach." At least I think it was Adams they were talking about.

Adams introduced himself to Belichick immediately upon the latter's entrance into Andover for a "postgraduate year," if I remember this right. He walked up to him and asked him if he was Steve Belichick's son, and from then on they proceded to diagram plays in their notebooks through a number of important academic classes. I cannot swear it was Adams the quote was about... but if not, he was mentioned in the same terms later on when he and BB were reunited in NE.... the "nobody knows what he does but he's damn good at it" thing.

Sorry to raise your hopes, and good luck in your job search,

PFnV

PS and I think I speak for all of us when I say, say hi to your niece for me! (no untoward suggestion intended. But I really do think she shoulda got that Emmy.)

It was Adams as you'd said

Last edited by a moderator:
'Harpo' - Bob Gladieux should also be in the top 30

PatsWorldChamps said:
milloy over law, bruschi, and seymour? no way.
how about brian cox? his crushing hit in the indy game at home (1st super bowl year) changed the momentum of that game, which changed the momentum of that season, which changed everything.

any love for ted washington? antwoine smith? to me these guys were more important than some of the old timers... i mean, sure, hannah was incredible, but it seems to me, to be top 20 "important", you gotta be a cause for a ring.

Antwoine smith more important than John Hannah?:rofl:

Ted Washington played 10 games for Crissakes!:wha:

Last edited:
**** Rehbein

...should be in the top 10! If not for him, we might have drafted Tim Rattay and the rest would be history or maybe not.

RayClay said:
Antwoine smith more important than John Hannah?:rofl:

Ted Washington played 10 games for Crissakes!:wha:

The question wasn't who was the best; it wasnt who played the longest; it wasnt, who was our crappy QB when we sucked in the 70's & 80's; it was who was more important... hannah never helped win a championship, smith was a key ingredient in our first super bowl win... to me that makes smith more important... he certainly was more important than a designer of a logo that reminds fans of the losing pats teams!

Last edited:
PatsWorldChamps said:
The question wasn't who was the best; it wasnt who played the longest; it wasnt, who was our crappy QB when we sucked in the 70's & 80's; it was who was more important... hannah never helped win a championship, smith was a key ingredient in our first super bowl win... to me that makes smith more important... he certainly was more important than a designer of a logo that reminds fans of the losing pats teams!

Well here's hoping your bandwagon ride lasts a long time.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back