PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

20 Huge Silver Linings for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylStingley

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
1. The Jets did not make the Super Bowl.

2. The Jets did not win the Super Bowl.

3. Tom Brady's injury should not prevent him from starting 2011.

4. Ben did not lead the Steelers on a game winning at the end of the game and make himself an upper upper QB in the process, and change the conversation re Pittsburgh.

5. Peyton Manning had a meh season.

6. Peyton and Caldwell have a pretty good sized divide between them.

7. Miami is bringing back their meh Head Coach.

8. The Patriots players all gained valuable experience.

9. The Pats did not fall back to mediocrity or even a 10 win type season as many thought might happen.

10. The Pats players still seem to be fully tuned into Belichick. After this many years, the possibility that his message could be lost somewhat existed.

11. Jerod Mayo was as good if not better than he was in 2008 before November.

12. McCourty emerged as a potential/likely top tier corner.

13. Danny Woodhead was gifted to the Pats by the MFJs.

14. The Jets did not win in the season in which they really took their best shot. With free agency and the amount of veterans they had, and their relatively weak drafting position, this was their best shot at a SB title.

15. That Rex's wife is somewhat freakish was revealed. We have that little toy forever.

16. The Chargers didn't make the playoffs.

17. The NY Giants soiled themselves to the extent that they did.

18. A team that few of us hate and some of us actually like won the Super Bowl.

19. Brett Favre was made even more irrelevant. What a terrible season for such a terrible human. Fitting all around.

20. Tom Jackson again revealed himself to be an First Class Clown.

What did I miss?

If we're to believe the people who have been ripping on Brady since 2007, losing in the SB actually makes Ben worse QB. Especially because, in this case, Ben was actually one of the biggest culprits in why the Steelers lost.

This is a FANTASTIC thread. Well done. So true, on all counts.

Because of the way they've structured contracts, the Patriots will have a lot of cap space to address issues.

I agree, very nice thread. Lots of positives.

Here's a few more that I can think of, forgive me if I am 'stretching' any.

--Lots of positives regarding the recent drafts, as last year's players really stepped up and proved themselves. DMcC looked fantastic, as did Gronk and Hernandez. This upcoming draft is another chance to reload in some key areas, as the payoff for Seymour finally happens. 5 picks in the first 75, for the first time in the NFL in 20 years--that is quite impressive.

--Continued progression of SeaBass, a definite positive for the O-line's future.

--The re-emergence of the TE in New England.

--more proof that this is the 'ultimate' team, in the sense of NOT needing Moss, his diva attitude, etc. When many mediots suggested that this team was now going nowhere, without any weapons etc, they immediately stepped in and proved everyone wrong. The downside is that we still could use someone to step up and stretch the field, possibly Price/Tate.

--A somewhat impressive showing of the defense down the stretch, as they still finished in the top 10 of scoring defenses. Not bad considering the injuries and greenness of that side of the ball.

--A respectable showing by Gerard Warren, making the switch to 2 gap

--Another incredible showing by Tom Brady, going 22 TD's and 0 INT's after the first 2 quarters of the Pittsburgh game. More records set, another MVP year.

You know you are pretty good when you have a 65%+ completion rate, throw for 300 yards, have 2 TD's and 1 pick----and the whole world says you did 'terrible,' and many blame the game on you. I agree that TFB looked a bit lost at times, maybe even scared. I do not agree that he had a 'terrible' game. There were a handful of plays that could have gone either way, and the rest of the team and coaching staff were just as accountable. I do not see reason to worry that "Brady has lost it come playoff time." We need improvement on defense, and a more physical approach in the trenches, IMO. I do not see it coincidental that the 2 Super Bowl teams were #1 and #2 in scoring allowed, and also #1 and #2 in sacks accumulated. With a stifling defense, this team would have been absolutely unstoppable.

--Obviously BB still has 'it,' after possibly doing his best coaching job yet. He won 14 games with a young, patchwork D (for the most part). He also proved to the rest of the NFL that we aren't going anywhere, and they'll be reminded again in the draft. And next season. Again. I still believe that we are all very blessed in getting to witness this impressive era, and certainly wouldn't ever want anyone else.

--Started the yr out by locking up Brady for an additional 4 more years, obviously a good sign.

--The return of such injured players as T.Warren, Bodden, Wright, Pryor on defense. On offense, Kaczur, Neal, Faulk (not all obviously, as some are not likely to return)

--We aren't continuing the tradition of having key coaches and coordinators plucked from us this year. That may have been planned for, regardless, it is a good sign.

--I believe that the schedule itself is 'easier' next year, although that is relative, and opinionated. Nonetheless, the schedule should not be quite as challenging as this year's, as we faced a majority of the schedule on top 10 defensive teams. I see no reason to expect anything less than 12-4 next year too. The ability to compete for the tournament and championship every single year is unparalleled. I still believe that 'overall,' no other team has it this good on a consistent manner, as proved by the past decade's record, division championships, and reloading of draft picks.

I believe there are a TON of reasons for great optimism next year!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back