PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 rules questions???? [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like an explaination on two rules that came into play in the first half. I hope I don't have any more.

1. What was up with the illegal touch on the punt?

2. Why was the clock stopped after the Jet holding penalty at the end of the half. The Jets made the illegal play, yet it was the Pats who were penalized. I thought that in the last 2 minutes if the offense has a penalty the clock will start again when its spotted. Am I mistaken

Get to this when you have a minute.

Re: 2 rules questions????

I'd like an explaination on two rules that came into play in the first half. I hope I don't have any more.

2. Why was the clock stopped after the Jet holding penalty at the end of the half. The Jets made the illegal play, yet it was the Pats who were penalized. I thought that in the last 2 minutes if the offense has a penalty the clock will start again when its spotted. Am I mistaken

The only thing I can think of on the punt is that Andrews went out of bounds and was the 1st person to touch the ball. I will re-watch it later to check.

As for the 2nd, no clue.

He went out of bounds, hence the de-hatting of one of the refs.

That's the rule...

How about when Seau tried to call timeout and the ref blew the whistle before the play? Then they called the Pats for offsides... but if the whistle blew before the play (which it definitely did), how could the Pats be called offside? Seau was about 20 yards from the QB so "unimpeded to the QB" doesn't come into play. Not a big deal, but it was the ref who screwed up there by blowing the whistle before the play.

Illegal touching on punt call?

Did anyone understand the call when Willie Andrews downed the punt on the one yard line?

Re: Illegal touching on punt call?

Did anyone understand the call when Willie Andrews downed the punt on the one yard line?

No follow-up on that by the announcers or replay, but I assume Willie went out of bounds and thus was taken out of the play legally: gunners can't run out of bounds and then be the first to touch the football.

If anyone else got a better look, please add.

Last edited:

I was wundering that my self. He jumped and was in the air when he touched the ball. From what I could see his feet never touched the goal line.

Last edited:

I TIVO'd that bad boy a few times. To me, it looked like the ZEBRAS blew the call.

I TIVO'd that bad boy a few times. To me, it looked like the ZEBRAS blew the call.

No, they didn't.

I'm astonished at how many people have talked about this play/. Even Tanguay and Gresh on the postgame didn't know until Bryan Morry called them.

Didn't anyone notice that one of the refs who was conferencing had his hat off? And didn't anyone associate that (as they should) with a gunner going out of bounds?

We see this call all the time in games. I'm surprised everyone is surprised about it.

Re: 2 rules questions???? [merged]

I was wondering about the multiple fouls the Pats got for encroachment when they were substituting and the Jets tried to quick snap it.

I thought the rule was that if another team was substituting and the Offense tries to snap the ball and catch them offsides, the Offense gets penalized.

I thought the rule was that if another team was substituting and the Offense tries to snap the ball and catch them offsides, the Offense gets penalized.

I think the refs only insist on letting the Defense substitute if the Offense does so first; but if the Offense sticks with the same 11 guys from the previous play then they can do whatever they want.

I can't believe I forgot about what no hat on an official means. Early season cob webs I guess.

Last edited:

I can't believe I forgot about what no hat on an official means. Early season cob webs I guess.

"Forgot"? I wish! You learn something every game. (By the way, I remember one of the announcers DID give that as the explanation, although he didn't mention the hat.)

No, they didn't.

I'm astonished at how many people have talked about this play/. Even Tanguay and Gresh on the postgame didn't know until Bryan Morry called them.

Didn't anyone notice that one of the refs who was conferencing had his hat off? And didn't anyone associate that (as they should) with a gunner going out of bounds?

We see this call all the time in games. I'm surprised everyone is surprised about it.

Pats1 -
What Bostonian was refering to is that to him, based on his re-watching the game footage, it did not look like Andrews went out of bound. Hence, the ref who threw his hat blowing the call.

I'll be honest. The view I had didn't stay on Andrews well enough and I did lose sight of him. However, I'd be very surprised if Andrews did go out because of where he was when the camera picked him back up... He was too far into the field of play to have gone out, in my opinion. But, again, the camera doesn't show, so I can't be positive.

How about when Seau tried to call timeout and the ref blew the whistle before the play? Then they called the Pats for offsides... but if the whistle blew before the play (which it definitely did), how could the Pats be called offside? Seau was about 20 yards from the QB so "unimpeded to the QB" doesn't come into play. Not a big deal, but it was the ref who screwed up there by blowing the whistle before the play.
Then it should have been delay of game against the Pats for calling a timeout they didn't have, either way it's 5 yards.

Then it should have been delay of game against the Pats for calling a timeout they didn't have, either way it's 5 yards.

IIRC the refs aren't supposed to grant the timeout and no penalty is called. This came up about a year ago in a game of some importance, ....Here Junior was on the wrong side of the line of scrimmage. Had he been on the Pats sideline I think they would have let the play progress......

As for the illegal touch, I was on that side of the field up in the nosebleed seats and it looked like he was blocked out of bounds and was the first to touch the ball but there was no clarification in the stadium either.....

No, they didn't.

Reason #101 why I absolutely despise their show. Why can't we have folks who know the game as broadcasters? I hate listening to folks who know less than I do, and I'm no expert. Insight is why I read this forum.

I grited my teeth when I heard those Bozos discussing their misunderstanding of that play.

The clock will stop for all penalties (accepted or declined) inside 2 minutes and for most of them, the clock won't start again until the next snap. There are, however, a few exceptions like procedural penalties.

For example, if the clock is running with less than 60 seconds to go and the offense commits a false start, they will run 10 seconds off the clock AND start it up again when the ball is whistled ready for play.

Last edited:
Andrew's Illegal Touch Penalty

On the 1st qtr punt that the Pats downed like on the 2 yd line Andrews was flagged for illegal touch.

Was it a penalty because he was the first person to touch the ball after stepping out of bounds?

Re: Andrew's Illegal Touch Penalty

Yes, pretty much it right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes