PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 roster slots needed soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Brady and Ninkovich will need roster slots a week from now.

The obvious ideas for freeing them up are:
  • (Hopefully not an option) A newly injured player to IR.
  • One of the young QBs to IR.
  • Cut the new DT.
  • Cut the #3 gunner (King).
  • Cut one of Harbor or Derby.
  • Cut or IR a guard.

Good question. Who knows really. Got players on PUP as well. Gonna be a lot of moving parts. I see Harbor, DJ Foster, a guard, and an end being released. We shall see how it plays out.

IR a QB and see how the new DT plays. If he's worth keeping Foster becomes a likely candidate if Lewis rehab is going well.

Cutting Waddle would leave the team with Fleming as the only pure backup swing T.

With that said if they think Vollmer will make it back.....

That's an interesting point, and could apply to Lewis/Foster as well.

I wouldn't consider Brissett -- the last thing you want is to take your promising but raw developmental QB off the practice field for the whole season. Barring the team having total confidence in Lewis or Vollmer, my guesses:

- King. As strong as he is on ST, he ranks as my 5th-highest ST priority behind Slater, Jones, Bolden and Ebner, and 5th/6th in the safety pecking order as well. Something's gotta give.

- The #6 LB, whether that means McClellin, Roberts or Mingo.

Not one of the core STs. DJ & one of the TEs is my guess.

DJ probably has a better chance to make the PS cut now than cut straight outta preseason when he was making more noise.

That's an interesting point, and could apply to Lewis/Foster as well.

Yep. Thats the other thing they need to project. Will Lewis come back as 2015 Lewis or Reggie Dupard?

I wouldn't consider Brissett -- the last thing you want is to take your promising but raw developmental QB off the practice field for the whole season.

I agree. IR-ing Brissett doesn't feel like the right move to me.

Barring the team having total confidence in Lewis or Vollmer, my guesses:

- King. As strong as he is on ST, he ranks as my 5th-highest ST priority behind Slater, Jones, Bolden and Ebner, and 5th/6th in the safety pecking order as well. Something's gotta give.

- The #6 LB, whether that means McClellin, Roberts or Mingo.

Yep. Jonathan Jones' performance as a gunner might make King expendable. I think he has enough value to trade him to a team like TN or DET that appreciates ST.

IMO I think Roberts is the most likely to get cut. Shea and Mingo bring more to the table. Plus they already have Freeny on the inside (and the might play Nink there some too) . With that said I really like Roberts but hes caught in a numbers/depth game.

I think Waddle, who hasn't been active for a game, is in danger and Roberts will be destined for the ps if he makes it there.

Two out of Waddle, Karras and Roberts for me. Sure we'd only have one backup Tackle if Waddle were gone but he's been inactive every week so we basically only have one anyway.

DJ probably has a better chance to make the PS cut now than cut straight outta preseason when he was making more noise.

I think DJ is more likely to make the PS than Derby.

If you cut Derby you may as well hand him a green jersey on his way out the door as I have no doubt the Rats would grab him, just like they just claimed Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

Their TE situation is pitiful.

Karras stays. He is playing quite a bit to give Mason time to recover and hasn't been a liability.

What happens when Cooper is ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back