PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 QB's for week 1, then add Huard

Status
Not open for further replies.

PYPER

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I think that's the plan. Feely could still be an option but Huard makes more sense. He knows the system and he had a good relationship with Brady and Belichick.

If you're going to carry two backup QB's you want one young guy to develop and one veteran who could hold the fort if need be.

So why Huard over Feely? You'd want to give most of the 2nd team reps to the young prospect (Hoyer) which means the 3rd guy will hardly ever get any practice reps.

That would pretty much cancel out Feely's value. He would need more practice time than Huard b/c he doesn't know the system. Feely's looked good in Philly b/c he's so familiar with the system. Put him in a new system and he's going to have a much longer learning curve. Whereas Huard can pretty much come in on day one and provide a sense of security that he could fill in if needed. I'm sure he'd have some rust but he'd still be light years ahead of where Feely would be.

Last edited:
I'm going with "2 QB through Sunday" then the best available vet. Helps protect an extra ps-eligible player, too.

Works for me, too. This way, Bill doesn't have to throw away another draft pick for the Danny Cater of QBs.

I hope not but I expect it will happen. The need to keep 3 QB is one of Belichick's blindspots.

Remember when we kept four QBs? Drew, John Friesz, that young buck Michael Bishop, and that Mr. 199th draft pick, one Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr. :D

Or they could dump some vet to keep from guaranteeing him, then re-sign him a week later.

Anyhow, there are nitpicking complexities to the Week 1 roster (as opposed to Week 2 or 3) that few if any of us have completely mastered.

This is a huge crapshoot, how about if Feeley or Huard are not available in this time frame??? Plan B???

I agree with the OP.......

BB obviously has it figured out. I would think that Huard would the most logical (in-season) QB acquisition. His familiarity with the system will allow him to step in pretty quick.

I'd rather have Huard and I'm having a hard time seeing the love for Feeley. Feeley did well in one game playing with an otherwise superb Eagles offense with Westbrook and a good oline against a Pats defense that had notably poor coverage in the short middle of the field. That was one game.

A better memory is all those games with Miami where the Miami defense was ready to kill him for all his turnovers.

A glance at the nfl scorecards for Huard and Feeley shows Huard to be a more accurate career passer. Feeley might have a stronger arm, but what's the point if he throws to the wrong guy.

Last edited:
who knows? but i think feeley makes a lot of sense, esp given the iggles need at Tight End and a looming cut there for the Pats; plus Philly has to make a move with 4 QB's and there's a lot of good karma between the Kraft and Laurie franchises in recent years (except, of course, for the SB). i also could see Hoyer on the Practice Squad, eventually. otherwise, In BB I Trust.

Last edited:
This is a huge crapshoot, how about if Feeley or Huard are not available in this time frame??? Plan B???

A HUGE crapshoot? Are you serious? Everyone on this board is expecting Brady to be injured....

A HUGE crapshoot? Are you serious? Everyone on this board is expecting Brady to be injured....

That was not my intent, the initial point was to wait a week then add Huard or Feeley.. what happens if someone else picks them up?? What would be plan B? .. it is a crapshoot if you wait.. I am one of the few, I guess, that expects Brady to play 19 games this season..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes