Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

March 28, 2007
No OT change

The NFL decided against a change to the overtime rules at today's NFL annual meeting. The change would have moved the opening kickoff of overtime from the 30- to the 35-yard line.

"I wasn't sure that was going to help," Colts coach Tony Dungy said as the final session of the meetings ended. "What everybody is concerned about is teams scoring on the first drive and why that is happening more in overtime than it does the first drive of the game. Those are the things we need to figure out."

The proposal was officially tabled. Rich McKay, a co-chairman of the NFL's competition committee, said there could be more discussion on the topic in May but there will not be another vote at that time.

We'll update the other results from rule-change proposals in a bit.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 01:42:44 PM

March 28, 2007
More rulings

A few more notes regarding rule-change proposals voted on today at the NFL annual meeting:

Players will now be penalized 5 yards for spiking the ball in the field of play. Owners voted in favor of that, 26-5, with one abstention.

The Bears' proposal to expand game-day rosters from 45 to 47 was defeated, 17-15.

A penalty for illegal touching will no longer be called when the quarterback hits an offensive lineman with a pass, unless the lineman makes an attempt to catch the ball.

The Buccaneers withdrew their proposal to make all penalties except holding reviewable on instant replay. There were a few other minor changes, but those were the ones that stood out as Rich McKay, co-chairman of the competition committee, went over the rulings today.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 02:13:33 PM

Nothing major there. The one I was really looking for was a change to the pass interference rule. I guess the NFL will depend on the refs being more "consistent" in their calls. :rolleyes:

I sort of liked the illegal touching penalty when the QB hit his O-lineman in the back of the head, it was like adding insult to injury.

I sort of liked the illegal touching penalty when the QB hit his O-lineman in the back of the head, it was like adding insult to injury.

Seriously. Some hog is blocking his arse off, and he gets a penalty because his QB throws the ball into his melon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes