PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2+2=5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott37

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I agree with some of what has been said in the firtst 2+2 thread, however, I wonder if we might be seeing a change in defensive philosophy to the 4-3 with

DL: Green, Wilfork, Warren & Seymour
LB: Vrabel, Bruschi & Colvin

Credit where credit is due. Tunascribe actually brought this up first at the end of the other thread but the thought occured to me before I read his post.

Won't happen. The defense is built around players who are more valuable in the 3-4. Given the roster we have, if we constructed a 4-3 defense with Green at end, the defense would likely underperform.

I agree..will NOT happen..3-4 is the base..the team has players for that base..so why go different...

opponents oughta be guessing all year.

stinkypete said:
Won't happen. The defense is built around players who are more valuable in the 3-4. Given the roster we have, if we constructed a 4-3 defense with Green at end, the defense would likely underperform.
the past couple years our squad has played both sets, with willie and vrabel posing real headaches for opposing OCs. the point was that offenses didn't know what they're would see with those guys on the field. either one could put their hand on the ground and defend the run, completely screwing up the blocking assignments for OLs.
i remember chuck fairbanks as the first nfl coach, in the '70s, to use the 3-4 a lot. he said the reason for the 3-4 was that he had more good LBs than DLs, & he wanted to get his best D-players on the field. IMHO the '06 patriots have more good DLs than LBs. jarvis green, in particular, should be on the field for more snaps. this would be a slam dunk if rodney bailey or truck traylor was still here. in either case, tho, we need another veteran player, either LB or DL, to make the rotations work in either set.
in the '80s the wisdom seemed to be that the 3-4 was actually better for defending the run, and the 4-3 was better for the pass rush. i dunno if that's still the thinking.

I remember a quote where Seymour said he'll do whatever the team asks, but he loves it anytime they go into a 4-3!

Last edited:
Bruschi would have to be a OLB in the 4-3.

Holy Moly it is the annual "We are switching to a 4-3 thread." Wow goota admit, we havn't seen it for a whole year. And yet, once again whoever brings it up just doesnt have a clue on how the Pats defense is put together.

ilduce06410 said:
the past couple years our squad has played both sets, with willie and vrabel posing real headaches for opposing OCs. the point was that offenses didn't know what they're would see with those guys on the field. either one could put their hand on the ground and defend the run, completely screwing up the blocking assignments for OLs.

So if we line up in a 5 WR set, does that mean we will not use running backs for the rest of the season?

When are we gonna learn that BB loves smoke and mirrors based off of the 3-4 system?

we'll mix in 43 as needed...if bru or vrabel go down we might use it -- pretty amazing we have the ability to make this conversion on the fly -- but BB has made it clear he prefers the 34. our personnel is custom ordered for the 34, including the smaller secondary (4 corners;) ).

Digger44 said:
Holy Moly it is the annual "We are switching to a 4-3 thread." Wow goota admit, we havn't seen it for a whole year. And yet, once again whoever brings it up just doesnt have a clue on how the Pats defense is put together.

Geeze Digger, tell me how you really feel.

I advanced a concept for discussion purposes, based on the fact that:

A. At this point in time the roster would seem to have more quality DL's than LB's and

B. The team has done little to replace Willie either through free agency or the draft.

I realize that there are still some free agents available and that the June cuts have not yet occured. I also realize that with a higher salary cap, there may not be as many players released this year than in years past. Since we all know that BB and Pioli operate the team by a definate formula and there is very little chance that they will just choose to "wing it" as far as the LB's in particular or the defense in general is concerned, the question that has been posed is valid. Whether you personally like it or not.

I have been a member of this board for years, through several incarnations of the board, and have been a fan of the team since the early 80's. I prefer to view the posts rather than post myself on a reglar basis.

You have every right to disagree with my point of view, but to say I dont have "a clue on how the Pats defense is put together" is out of line. Good coaches put their players in alignments and schemes that compliment the players particular abilities. I personally don't believe that BB puts less talented players on the field simply because he "loves smoke and mirrors based off of the 3-4 system."

Feel free to congratulate me on my 100th post in the current incarnation of this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots